Pretty expensive though for what it is

more then 4 times the cost of a non IP True Day Night IR camera.

Also the resolution says 1280x1024 where a non IP camera would be 811x508, though the acti is much more, not quite 4 times the resolution. Additionally most cameras dont reduce the shutter speed as you mentioned in the article to a level that causes motion blur, least not non IP cameras, just the ones with DSS, which personally I stay away from, or dont use that feature. Also the specs for this acti claim 30fps at 640x480, 8fps at 1280x1024.

I definately see a need for a camera like this, dont get me wrong, but I think this one is overpriced for what it is.

Without going the direction of CCTV, what's a better priced camera with the same feature sets? I'm always looking for a better price point, but once you slip below $600, it's tough to get any outdoor day/night camera short of an eBay special made in Shenzhen China.

These are the features I need for outdoors -

1. megapixel

2. ir cut filter

3. built in IR illuminators

4. outdoor camera IP66

5. vari-focal lens

6. external inputs

As alternatives I did look at Panasonic 735a, about $100 more, limited pan/tilt, but no zoom or varifocal, no IR Cut filter, no illuminators.

I also considered the Axis M1114, excellent day camera, and pretty well priced with a cheap housing, but still no IR Cut filter, no illuminators, no external inputs.

Since your asking about IP Cameras, cant help there, this IS the only Day Night IR bullet Ive seen in this price range. I would also steer away from the chinese ones, no offence to chinese manufacturers, but alot of their IR cameras are made for very low end markets. However, if you werent asking about IP cameras then I would point you towards something like the CNB B2760NVF which is typically more then most home users require.

Its a pity Axis doesnt make one to compete, if they could do similar and come in a little cheaper, or even at the same price, just for their superior network features alone I could see it being worth the price.

Plus everything is powered with POE.

Yeah but how much does a POE switch/router cost?

Pretty expensive though for what it is

more then 4 times the cost of a non IP True Day Night IR camera.

Also the resolution says 1280x1024 where a non IP camera would be 811x508, though the acti is much more, not quite 4 times the resolution. Additionally most cameras dont reduce the shutter speed as you mentioned in the article to a level that causes motion blur, least not non IP cameras, just the ones with DSS, which personally I stay away from, or dont use that feature. Also the specs for this acti claim 30fps at 640x480, 8fps at 1280x1024.

I definately see a need for a camera like this, dont get me wrong, but I think this one is overpriced for what it is.

But they only record at max 704 x 480.

No, max 740x480

I was comparing the cameras total image pixels, not the recording.

Plus everything is powered with POE.

Yeah but how much does a POE switch/router cost?

Who cares The point I was making is the camera was powered by POE.

Lets do a simple test. Show people the image from a 1.3MP camera and a image from a analog D1. Guess what image everyone but Rory is gonna choose

No, max 740x480

I was comparing the cameras live resolution though, total image pixels, not the recording.

So how you gonna play back that image? Isn't that the important part.

Who cares The point I was making is the camera was powered by POE.

Lets do a simple test. Show people the image from a 1.3MP camera and a image from a analog D1. Guess what image everyone but Rory is gonna choose

Well unfortunately I am not rich, neither are most

Also, lets see that image under low light without IR

704, 740, not much diff, point is the acti is far from 4x the resolution, not even twice.

704, 740, not much diff, point is the acti is far from 4x the resolution, not even twice.

D1 704 x 480 = 337,920

1.3MP 1280(H) x 1024(V) = 1,310,720

1,310,720/337,920 = 3.88X more pixels

Edited by Guest

Axis encoders can do 720x576

Well I like axis better then acti .. but the cost is still too much.

1,310,720/337,920 = 3.88X more pixels

Ok i see what you mean and I give you that " title="Applause" />

ok so what about the vivotek bullets?

Originally I looked at the equivalent Vivotek, but the sample images looks too soft, not as much detail as the Acti, so while they provide more megapixels (2 vs. 1.3), I wasnt' sure that it was better. Also, they appear to run about $100 more. Also, according to a distributor I spoke to (who shall remain nameless), the quality control and consistancy from Vivotek is not as good as ACTi and I'm better off buying Acti.

As for PoE switch costs, I use an inexpensive PoE switch, a Trendnet that runs about $60. I need a switch either way because I don't have enough ports on the dsl modem/router, so it's not huge expense to support 4 PoE cameras.

I agree on Axis, if they made an outdoor PoE day/night camera with built in illuminators for the same price range, I would be all over it. But their new "HD" cameras like the M11 series, while very good and putting them in an outdoor housing is not an issue, are not day/night, no inputs for a motion detector. If you can have white light in your outdoor situation, that will work, but in a residential area, I can't light a house up like it's Christmas just to make a camera work.

As for resolution, these days, when cell phone cameras have several megapixels, 12MP point & shoot cameras selling for $100-200, TV's are just about all HD, just about all my TV programming comes in HD and even that is starting to be old news and 3D is emerging, it's hard to convince me, if not many people that VGA or D1 is idealto invest in. All it usually takes is a side by side comparison.

As for resolution, these days, when cell phone cameras have several megapixels, 12MP point & shoot cameras selling for $100-200, TV's are just about all HD, just about all my TV programming comes in HD and even that is starting to be old news and 3D is emerging, it's hard to convince me, if not many people that VGA or D1 is idealto invest in. All it usually takes is a side by side comparison.

Problem is most home users and stores just dont want to spend that kind of money. Got problems just getting them to spend on something like a True Day Night Camera let alone an MP camera. I mean a side by side comparison between a nissan sentra and a ford mustang ..well id take the mustang if I could afford it but dang the gas and initial cost plus insurance .. ahh well its back to the sentra

I agree, that for most small business and homes, they see cameras at Costco with DVR for under $500 and they think it's great. I have a neighbor, put them in his shop and it works great. But there's people that want more.

Sure, but that's what you are up against. One person puts in his business and boasts to surrounding businesses about how wonderfull it is, it's got to impact the businesses only selling CCTV.

That's why I believe that it's easier to convince them that a "high def" system is worth the extra money than trying to say my analogue D1 camera is better, because people are used to paying a premium for "high def" to the point that even Axis is calling their 1MP cameras "HD", why because people want "HD".

Sure, but that's what you are up against. One person puts in his business and boasts to surrounding businesses about how wonderfull it is, it's got to impact the businesses only selling CCTV.

That's why I believe that it's easier to convince them that a "high def" system is worth the extra money than trying to say my analogue D1 camera is better, because people are used to paying a premium for "high def" to the point that even Axis is calling their 1MP cameras "HD", why because people want "HD".

Im not up against that, there are no Costcos in this country

Also there is a huge diff between one of those systems and a professional system.

The average person is not willing to spend an extra $3000 (eg. diff between a 4 channel CCTV and 4 IP cam setup) for something that still wont catch the criminals face, since the majority of burglars cover their faces with such things as masks, caps, or tee shirts.

Im not up against that, there are no Costcos in this country

Also there is a huge diff between one of those systems and a professional system.

The average person is not willing to spend an extra $3000 (eg. diff between a 4 channel CCTV and 4 IP cam setup) for something that still wont catch the criminals face, since the majority of burglars cover their faces with such things as masks, caps, or tee shirts.

There is a big difference between 4 channel CCTV system and a 4 camera megapixel setup.

There is a big difference between 4 channel CCTV system and a 4 camera megapixel setup.

Ofcourse there is, the price!

Ofcourse there is, the price!

Thats what you think!!! My customers see the value in Hi Res video.