jackdf

IP Camera Wireless Connection to DVR?

Hello everyone,

Could someone please help me out, I have a very simple question to ask.

-How can an IP Camera connect and record wireless to a DVR??

I would really appreciate an answer to this question.

Thanks all!!

IP Camera in question:

>Motion JPEG video compression, high quality image

>1/4" CMOS image sensor 300k pixels high quality image

>Water-proof metal structure ,best for outdoor installation

>Night vision range 30meters with 60 IR-LEDs

>Support Wi-Fi 802.11b/g,secured wireless connection

>Wireless encryption support both WEP&WPA, WPA2

>Motion detection alert via e-mail notification, FTP upload

Thanks for the reply, what do I need to do?

Using wireless for a system like this is asking for trouble. If you can get power to the location you can get network. You said your using Foscam IP cameras never heard of them, what DVR are you using. Why are you using a DVR and not a NVR.

Project:

jackdf. you are best getting a pro company in to do your install. first off your dvr is just basic/ no ip/ so that need changing first of all (thats the first lot of money wasted) it also sounds like you have never done ip before. but you wont protect your install with that dvr.

8204s__45191_thumb.jpg

I agree with the other responses, you need to learn to walk before running, on this one. Stepping into a project this size with no previous experience is likely to lead to some very bad results.

You started with a simple question, but the answer for what you want to achieve with the final result is not simple at all, there are a lot of variables to contend with to make something of that scope work effectively.

For example: available lighting, line of sight issues, available cabling between buildings, desired quality of images at a given distance from the camera locations, budget for project, viewing locations, length of storage, vandal resistance, cable protection, and a lot of other things, need to be taken into consideration.

If you really want to take this on, I suggest you do a LOT of reading here on similar subjects, and get an idea of what you are trying to achieve with this system, and ask more questions after that.

Project:

jackdf. you are best getting a pro company in to do your install. first off your dvr is just basic/ no ip/ so that need changing first of all (thats the first lot of money wasted) it also sounds like you have never done ip before. but you wont protect your install with that dvr.

8204s__45191_thumb.jpg

+1

Foscam is the best camera that $80 can buy. I have one (and one clone, you know you made it when people make clones of your already cheap products) and it works reasonably well, their support has been good. I rely on them to alert me if someone enters an home that's vacant, works really well for that.

My biggest complaint with these cameras with IR LED, is when you use them during the day, it doesn't have an IR filter, so colors shift, sometimes a lot, like I had a black jacket that looked light blue on the camera, had to do double take. The night time IR LED's are very weak, maybe good for 2-3m at most.

Hooking up all the Wifi cameras to you NVR is real easy, just plug the DVR to your router, let all the WiFi cameras connect in through the same router and it will all be on the same network, no problem. Then configure each camera.

Foscam is the best camera that $80 can buy. I have one (and one clone, you know you made it when people make clones of your already cheap products) and it works reasonably well, their support has been good. I rely on them to alert me if someone enters an home that's vacant, works really well for that.

My biggest complaint with these cameras with IR LED, is when you use them during the day, it doesn't have an IR filter, so colors shift, sometimes a lot, like I had a black jacket that looked light blue on the camera, had to do double take. The night time IR LED's are very weak, maybe good for 2-3m at most.

Hooking up all the Wifi cameras to you NVR is real easy, just plug the DVR to your router, let all the WiFi cameras connect in through the same router and it will all be on the same network, no problem. Then configure each camera.

Foscam should not be spec'd for a system like this. You what a toy camera to play around at home one of these would do great. Also I would like to see the list of NVR software that supports these cameras.

He said he had a DVR and a standard DVR will not record IP cameras.

Foscam should not be spec'd for a system like this. You what a toy camera to play around at home one of these would do great. Also I would like to see the list of NVR software that supports these cameras.

foscam sounds like something people can afford down here ..

but where to buy, china??

Yes, I got mine directly from China, takes about 10 days. The trick is to make sure you are getting genuine Foscam, the clones are not supported as well and the item and packaging is identical. You should try one out, they are cool little cameras with pan/tilt capability and IR LEDs on the indoor camera, ftp and smtp alerts with images, works well with all browsers, although I can't view it from my iPad but since I put my all my cameras on BlueIris ($50), I can see all my cameras collectively or one at a time on my iPad.

One annoyance is that it doesn't have an IR filter, so some items will appear as the wrong color.

Is it a toy, sure, compared to cameras costing 10-20x more, it may appear that way as much as my Smart Car may appear as a toy to someone driving a Hummer, but that's a story for another day.

BUT, this doesn't mean that Foscam will work for this situation, it's futile to try and use a WiFi camera across an area that's 300m wide, that's just not going to happen, I can't get my Foscam to reliably connect 50' away from my router.

Thank you all for your replies, very very grateful.

I appreciate that this is a huge installation for the first shot, I am working with 2 qualified electricians who have some knowledge of the subject.

No materials have yet been purchased, how ever I now realise that the Foscam products will not do the job.

Could someone please advise me on what materials to use? Cameras, NVR, etc?

Would this camera do the job?

Waterproof IR camera,IR Distance 100M,12mm lens

Temperature controller built-in

1/3" SONY CCD 420TVL H.264 compression

1280*720 D1:720x576 CIF:352x288 QCIF:176x144 .

Support SD card or CF card recording

Double audio, you can connect to pickup or microphone

10/100M bps high-speed Ethernet automatic detection

1ch alarm input

Motion detection, can be set to the e-mail notify or transmit images to

FTP

High safe, set up multiple user accounts and passwords

Multi-level access: administrator / authorized user / anonymous login.

Support up to 20 remote viewers at the same time

Video file formats: AV or AVI for optional

To provide a multi-screen Windows software (1/4/6/9/16 Road

optional)

32-bit ARM9 RISC CPU, 2MB flash memory, 8 MB SDRAM, 32MB

DDRAM

High-quality audio decode: G.711PCM 64kbps/G.726ADPCM 16-

40kbps

Protocol: HTTP, TCP / IP, UDP,

I would really appreciate if someone could help me out here, and thanks for your input so far.

Thank you all for your replies, very very grateful.

I appreciate that this is a huge installation for the first shot, I am working with 2 qualified electricians who have some knowledge of the subject.

No materials have yet been purchased, how ever I now realise that the Foscam products will not do the job.

Could someone please advise me on what materials to use? Cameras, NVR, etc?

Would this camera do the job?

Waterproof IR camera,IR Distance 100M,12mm lens

Temperature controller built-in

1/3" SONY CCD 420TVL H.264 compression

1280*720 D1:720x576 CIF:352x288 QCIF:176x144 .

Support SD card or CF card recording

Double audio, you can connect to pickup or microphone

10/100M bps high-speed Ethernet automatic detection

1ch alarm input

Motion detection, can be set to the e-mail notify or transmit images to

FTP

High safe, set up multiple user accounts and passwords

Multi-level access: administrator / authorized user / anonymous login.

Support up to 20 remote viewers at the same time

Video file formats: AV or AVI for optional

To provide a multi-screen Windows software (1/4/6/9/16 Road

optional)

32-bit ARM9 RISC CPU, 2MB flash memory, 8 MB SDRAM, 32MB

DDRAM

High-quality audio decode: G.711PCM 64kbps/G.726ADPCM 16-

40kbps

Protocol: HTTP, TCP / IP, UDP,

I would really appreciate if someone could help me out here, and thanks for your input so far.

What is the Manufacture and model number? What is the customers budget?

"2 qualified electricians who have some knowledge of the subject" thats scary

If this is for outdoor use, and I'm assuming it is, make sure the camera spec say day/night or IR CUT filter. The reason is that if you buy a day only camera, it will not work with IR illuminators and do poorly at night. If you buy a night only camera like you just described, it will do poorly during the day as colors will shift, tress will look pinkish brown to purple which is curse of most cheap outdoor cameras with built in illuminators.

Also, there appears to conflicting info on the spec, it has 420 lines of resolution which a pretty low end CCTV spec, yet it says 1280x720 MP resolution. How would that work without just digitally zooming and creating a pixelated image? Also, I would be extremely sketipcal about 100m IR lighting built into the camera.

I think the best I've seen on a commercial grade camera with built in illuminators is the Messoa NCR-875, sort of similar camera to the ACTi 1231 I recently reviewed but with a 25m IR range. And to me, the Messoa is probably the closest to the spec you want. It's sort of the opposite of the camera specs you mention in that it uses a 5 megapixel sensor to give you 1 MP, weird but that's their story and how they get a good image. Runs about $125 more than the ACTi though, which in it of itself is a good outdoor camera, just ask thewiredguys, he has some for sale at good price.

Just make sure the NVR or software you will be using supports this camera as it's not as widely known about as ACTi or Foscam and the software I use does not support, otherwise I would have gotten one to try.

I think the best I've seen on a commercial grade camera with built in illuminators is the Messoa NCR-875, sort of similar camera to the ACTi 1231 I recently reviewed but with a 25m IR range. And to me, the Messoa is probably the closest to the spec you want. It's sort of the opposite of the camera specs you mention in that it uses a 5 megapixel sensor to give you 1 MP, weird but that's their story and how they get a good image. Runs about $125 more than the ACTi though, which in it of itself is a good outdoor camera, just ask thewiredguys, he has some for sale at good price.

Thanks

They are using a 5MP sensor because they are doing some sort of Binning technology like Arecont and Panasonic is using for low light performance.