olc

CCTV-CATV interface

How can a private channel be inserted into the CATV of an apartment building?

What equipment is used and who makes it?

Specifically we want tenants to be able to view CCTV images (who is at the main entrances) on a channel on their TV.

I do not even have a starting point. (Time Warner no longer offers the service)

The device you're looking for is called an RF modulator. There are numerous manufacturers (Channel Vision is one of the better-known names - www.channelvision.com), and even more resellers of unbranded units.

For this to work, your tenants must all be on the same in-house cable system (at least, anyone who wants to view the camera(s) must be). Most cable providers will have a channel labeled "Security Camera" or similar on their channel lineup, which contains no signal. The modulator would connect into the incoming cable feed before it splits out to the rest of the building, and the modulator set to use that channel.

Most cable providers will have a channel labeled "Security Camera" or similar on their channel lineup, which contains no signal.

hmmm... never seen that here in the States... I wish I had though!

It's been my experience that you have to also use a filter coupled with an RF modulator. Even if a channel appears to have static and nothing is broadcast, it could still be used by your CATV company and trying to combine your CCTV signal over this invisible signal will have some pretty crappy results. The only drawback is, if the CATV company changes their lineup (they do around here almost every month), then you run the risk of blocking out a channel that people may want. IE, you've filtered out channel 67 because it was blank when you installed but today it's HSN and you've unwittingly screwed grandma out of her guilty pleasure.