Hello guys. My first post here, and one I'm making in desperation.

I decided to put an old PC to use as part of a dedicated cctv system. I bought just one camera (for now) and a no-name DVR card off eBay. I can see a video picture just fine with the software (SkyBest) supplied with the card, but as it's ugly, buggy and very clunky. I've tried several recommended DVR programs (Blue Iris, LuxRiot, etc) but none of them seem to recognise my camera is even connected

BTW, the camera is an Eonboom weather and vandal-proof EN-DVI20-32 (29 quid on eBay) which works fine connected to the TV.

I've just tried a prog called Watcher and just as with the other progs, the only video device 'available' is UScreenCapture.

Does anyone know what the problem is? Any help gratefully received

Hello guys. My first post here, and one I'm making in desperation.

I decided to put an old PC to use as part of a dedicated cctv system. I bought just one camera (for now) and a no-name DVR card off eBay. I can see a video picture just fine with the software (SkyBest) supplied with the card, but as it's ugly, buggy and very clunky. I've tried several recommended DVR programs (Blue Iris, LuxRiot, etc) but none of them seem to recognise my camera is even connected

BTW, the camera is an Eonboom weather and vandal-proof EN-DVI20-32 (29 quid on eBay) which works fine connected to the TV.

I've just tried a prog called Watcher and just as with the other progs, the only video device 'available' is UScreenCapture.

Does anyone know what the problem is? Any help gratefully received

Hi. your problems are ebay rubbish. start off with crap and you will always have crap.

Hi. your problems are ebay rubbish. start off with crap and you will always have crap.

Hi Tom, thanks for your quick and helpful reply.

The camera appears to work fine, so I presume that it isn't totally crap. What do you think?

Re. the card. I did wonder when I bought it, if it would be cheap Chinese rubbish. Is the card the problem then?

Perhaps you could point me at some low-cost (if poss!) cards that you can guarantee will work (and perhaps even some cameras that you guarantee will work with it).

This box is running XP, by the way.

Thanks in advance

The card is most certainly your problem, not the camera. The camera knows nothing of your computer, operating system, card, driver, or capture software, it simply spits out a video signal.

More to the point, the card obviously works (how well is another matter), the problem is that the other software you're trying doesn't recognize it. This is probably because the card's driver doesn't conform to WDM spec.

It MIGHT work with another generic driver designed for the card's chipset, but no guarantees there.

Best bet, ultimately, is to buy a legitimate, non-eBay-junk card.

Gotcha.

Any recommendations would be good. How about an AVermedia NV3000L? Would one of these work with software of my choice? And be sure to recognise my camera?

Thanks Soundy

Gotcha.

Any recommendations would be good. How about an AVermedia NV3000L? Would one of these work with software of my choice? And be sure to recognise my camera?

Thanks Soundy

HI sloper. yes the aver is a good card. and its own software will run your camera........... its not your camera that is the problem your camera will work on any dvr or card (except ebay crap)

check out the Geovision GV-600. It is the Geovisions budget card with 30fps.

Comes in 1, 2, 4, 6 etc channels and uses the complete Geovision software.

Eg, 1 channel = GV-600-1, 2 channel = GV-600-2, 4 channel = GV-600-4

Rory, that Geovision is a fair bit more expensive than the Avermedia card I was looking at. I've read some favourable reviews of that so I think I'll go for the NV3000 or NV3000L. I haven't figured out the difference yet though (the L is nearly 30 quid cheaper) Does anyone know the difference? I want to order tomorrow..

Anyway thanks guys

Well it really depends where you buy it from and how many channels you order.

Well it really depends where you buy it from and how many channels you order.

Yes I expect so. At SCTLtd the Geovision 600-4 is 20 quid (inc VAT) more than the NV3000 , which I'm guessing is its equivalent.

One shop stated the NV3000 runs in Windows 7. If so that would be great, as I would have to run 2 PCs otherwise.

Does the TV-out socket on the NV3000 allow me to run cctv video to a seperate monitor while using my PC for other stuff? I do some gaming so I'm wondering if I'd be better to run 2 PCs anyway?

My main PC runs Windows 7, E6400 C2D cpu, nVidia GTX260 graphics, 2GB ram.

It's always preferable for your security system to have its own dedicated computer, especially if you have or expect to have more than one camera.

It's always preferable for your security system to have its own dedicated computer, especially if you have or expect to have more than one camera.

I don't doubt that Soundy. Ok, the more I've looked into this, the more I've realised I need to spend a bit more.

The old PC that I intended to fit a DVR pci card into is barely up to the specs recommended by AVermedia and the NV3000 card is around 120 quid, so it doesn't cost a great deal more to get a proper DVR box.

Is the Avtech KPD674 recommended?

Thanks to y'all for your advice

Aver's PC specs are a little on the conservative side... What are the specs on your PC? I've gotten some P4s to work without issue...

Aver's PC specs are a little on the conservative side... What are the specs on your PC? I've gotten some P4s to work without issue...

Aver recommend a P4 3.0ghz cpu if I remember right. My old PC has an Athlon XP2500+ (1.8ghz). It's got 768mb RAM and an ATi 9600XT video card. It's probably good enough, but the cpu has a huge fan on it with a variable speed. It's bloody loud, and unless on full speed, especially in the summer, the machine beeps overheating warnings all the time. Another thing, I think it was Aver that DO NOT recommend Samsung HDDs for AV purposes. I have no idea why, but guess what make my HDD is...

I'm think I'm still set on a DVR box

I think it would have worked fine, if it was Intel. You kinda hit a brick wall there...

AV Techs are reliable and cheap. That's the only positive thing you'll ever hear me say about them. I've installed a few... just not a fan.

But if you only have $200 to spend on a DVR, it can't be beat.

Sure it can .. check out the Indigo DVRs, distributed by Vsionis in florida.

approx the same cost, come with much better network software, much better quality image overall, USB mouse, IR Remote control, VGA or composite out. It has its limitations like all budget 4 channel stand alones, the biggest con being D1 only on 1 channel, but its actually worth the cost IMO. However Im still searching for the perfect little 4 channel.

I think it would have worked fine, if it was Intel. You kinda hit a brick wall there...

AV Techs are reliable and cheap. That's the only positive thing you'll ever hear me say about them. I've installed a few... just not a fan.

Thanks for that bpzle, I appreciate it

I did look at the Avermedia EB range but I can't spot any feature that the Avtech lacks. The Avtech is considerably cheaper too, and I've had a difficult enough time as it is, convincing the wife to spend this much!

Found the Avtech +500gb HD for 160 pounds.

I did look at the Avermedia EB range but I can't spot any feature that the Avtech lacks. The Avtech is considerably cheaper too, and I've had a difficult enough time as it is, convincing the wife to spend this much!

The Avermedia EB will blow the AvTech away in Image quality locally and especially over the network. Both have evidence sharing limitations though.

The Avermedia EB will blow the AvTech away in Image quality locally and especially over the network. Both have evidence sharing limitations though.

Doh! And I thought I'd come to a decision.....

Looks like CNB has the same DVR as the Indigo (also Korean).

CNB HDF1212

Going by the user manual everything looks the same, other then the front design.

Features such as USB mouse, VGA, and local software is identical.

Networking software looks a little different but seems the same features near enough

http://www.cnbusa.com/en/html/product/product.php?seqx_prod=1049

priced just a couple dollars more then the Avtech under the CNB name, maybe available in the UK.

Experience in the real world has no match for spec sheets. You have to learn to read between the lines.

Experience in the real world has no match for spec sheets. You have to learn to read between the lines.

Well, I guess so, but I can't run to the extra cost. Others seem to be happy enough with the Avtech so I'm sure it'll be good enough for me. I've just ordered one. No doubt it won't be long before I'm back here for further advice and answers!

Thanks again everyone