musclecarguy

anyone use the new night owl dvrs yet?

I know they are way down on the budgets of some of you guys but I only had a $500 total budget for a system so bought a night owl 4 channel dvr and was wondering if anyone had used the new one they came out with? Keeping in mind it only cost me $275 shipped for the dvr and a pair of cheapie cameras, is it an ok choice for a low budget setup or should I have got something different? I just did a quick search and at least it does have a 500gig drive and does d1 recording at 30frames divided by the 4 cameras so would give me 7.5frame/sec at d1 for 4 cameras. It also does allow cellphone viewing and has a mouse for setup which I thought would make it easier for a total newbie like me to set things up.

I needed a system in a hurry so this was the best of the cheap units I looked at but I'd be willing to send it back if there is a better option out there in teh same price range.

I got my few days ago from tigerdirect.. $299.. insatlled at the cottage.. works great..

use Meye to access from iphone.. very happy..

The only comment I have is that I did not manage to control the recording (On/Off) from the PC. and that you need to leave your PC exposed to hackers in order to install nightowl software..

The quality of the picture on my iphone and on the laptop is great.

Also remember to pick different media ports for Meye and for pc installs other wise no go.

Most likely you will also need an alternative to port 80 for web traffic because most ISP's will block 80. I used 1024 and it works great.

I tjhiknk for the $ it is hard to beat this DVR.

I got my few days ago from tigerdirect.. $299.. insatlled at the cottage.. works great..

use Meye to access from iphone.. very happy..

The only comment I have is that I did not manage to control the recording (On/Off) from the PC. and that you need to leave your PC exposed to hackers in order to install nightowl software..

The quality of the picture on my iphone and on the laptop is great.

Also remember to pick different media ports for Meye and for pc installs other wise no go.

Most likely you will also need an alternative to port 80 for web traffic because most ISP's will block 80. I used 1024 and it works great.

I tjhiknk for the $ it is hard to beat this DVR.

just curious... what other dvrs have you used?

""The quality of the picture on my iphone and on the laptop is great.

Most likely you will also need an alternative to port 80 for web traffic because most ISP's will block 80. I used 1024 and it works great.""

I cannot access my DVR with the IPhone

I can access it from an android app called IP CAM Viewer

I have 1024 open

9000 open and the

mobile option of 18000 open on the router.

can you give me example of how your imputing it in the Meye app on the phone please

-Yippi

I realize the last post was a little over a year ago but I wanted to update this thread and say that IP Cam Viewer Pro is now available for the iPhone for $3.99. I have the 4S and my Night Owl Poseidon 8-Channel DVR works perfectly with that app. Flawless! I tried probably 10 different apps including the one in the instruction manual and they all did not work. IP Cam Viewer Pro also supports my two IP cameras so I can see all of my DVR cameras and my IP cameras in one app. I hightly recommend it!