emnet87

Night Survaillance System

Hi,

I'm a newbie and hoping someone could help me out. My car was vandalized in front of my driveway during the middle of the night the other day so I'm hoping to setup some kind of surveillance system to hopefully catch the person doing it if it ever happen again. I want to setup security system with 2 cameras that can record with motion dection and the ability to record at night. I'm been looking at the Axis p1343 & p1344 cameras. Does anybody have any experience with these cameras that would like to share their knowledge with me? Does anybody have any recommendation for my situation?

I would like to have some kind of recording software for these cameras as well. I know most companies charge extra for their recording software but Axis provides a software to record for one camera and then you can buy extra licenses to support multiple cameras. Is Axis a good software for this application or should I go for some third party software? Please list all software that you would highly recommend.

Thanks,

Em

As far as budget software suites, start looking at Luxriot, and Milestone. Also consider Exacqvision.

Luxriot has been a lower-priced underdog in the commercial NVR-software market. It's bargain-priced, but it works, and is very reasonable compared to some of the other vendors (on the higher end, you can spend up to $200 per channel).

Milestone is a big commercial vendor of NVR software, and has some very high-end management suites for large corporate/commercial installations. However, they recently released another version at a price-point comparable to the Luxriot range.

Exacqvision is another choice, and even runs on Linux.

Ask around... there are several dealers here who could help you out on the Milestone/Exacq software (do it by PM... openly doing business in the forum is frowned upon). Luxriot licenses can be purchased online, and the software downloaded from Luxriot's home-page.

I sell Exacq and I am testing Milestone. I must say though after testing many VMS providers I always come back to Exacq. Yes Milestone is cheaper and yes it does work but Exacq is much easier to use, install, and setup. You can run Exacq on low cost Atom machines where Milestone needs some HP to run. With Milestone you have to log into the server to do the camera setup where Exacq does all of the setup from any machine with the client software. Exacq works with Windows, Linux, and Mac - Milestone Windows only. Exacq work on every web browser - Milestone doesn't. Milestone works with more IP manufactures. Exacq also works with iPhone, blackberry and andriod. They also have a very good iPhone/iPad app.

I have the Axis p1346 and it is a very good camera. You will need to add IR for good low light performance. Look at the Arecont 3135 for better low light capabilities.

PM me for Exacq/Milestone prices.

Edited by Guest

For my home, I use BlueIris, supports a wide array of cameras, easy to use and setup and designed more for home use and it's under $50. even a provides a website that allows you to see all your cameras together, one at a time and recorded events from just about any device, even cell phones. The alert functionality is pretty good where you can make the computer beep, it can call your phone, SMS or email.

Those cameras are good, but maybe overkill. I have images from them if you want to see day/night performance, but a P1346-E is a $1,400 camera not counting the PC and software to do this. You pretty much have to dedicate a PC and it has to run 24/7.

Consider ACTI ACM-1231 with the built in illuminators it makes a good camera for home use for about $550.

Thanks everyone for giving me your inputs, I really appreciate it! I will read more on all the software you recommended.

buellwinkle - how does the ACTI ACM-1231 compare with the Axis p1343 as far as image quality goes? I know the Axis cameras are more expensive but if the quality is there then I don't mind paying a little extra. Buying cheaper cameras is a waste of money if the image is poor and I can't catch the person due to poor image quality.

Thanks again,

Em

Wireguy : So you're saying that Milestone is cheaper . . . I'm trying to figure out the comparison. I've looked up Milestone before.

Then I see exacqVision VMS in search results for around $150. So I guess that means your Exacq software cost is basically $150/camera ?

Wireguy : So you're saying that Milestone is cheaper . . . I'm trying to figure out the comparison. I've looked up Milestone before.

Then I see exacqVision VMS in search results for around $150. So I guess that means your Exacq software cost is basically $150/camera ?

Milestone recently came out with a budget-range software suite for small business, etc. It's about $50 per camera license (the main software comes with a 2-camera license, and additional channels can be purchased for about $50 each IIRC)

I can't remember what Exacq is getting per-channel.

Luxriot can get you a 16-camera license for about $500 bucks or so.

********************** Edit ***********************

I have an Acti 1231 deployed, and it's a good camera. It did fail once during the warranty period, and Acti fixed it with no hassles.

The ACTi 1231 has twice the resolution, built in illuminator and about twice the focal length range (manual zoom) over the p1343. Never seen that specific camera but the p13's are average, not great so I would say it's close.

If you get Axis, make sure it's the E, like in P1343-E for outdoor use.

Thanks everyone for giving me your inputs, I really appreciate it! I will read more on all the software you recommended.

buellwinkle - how does the ACTI ACM-1231 compare with the Axis p1343 as far as image quality goes? I know the Axis cameras are more expensive but if the quality is there then I don't mind paying a little extra. Buying cheaper cameras is a waste of money if the image is poor and I can't catch the person due to poor image quality.

Thanks again,

Em

Milestone is $99 per base license and $49 per camera plus maintenance fees - 26 camera max, 5 clients, 1 server, Windows only, no mobile phone support, no iPad/iPhone support, it's complicated to setup and use if you don't use it every day. support for 79 camera manufactures, must have multiple hard drives for best performance

Exacq is $150 per camera optional $25 per camera software upgrade fee - unlimited servers, clients and cameras, runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac, all web browsers, and smart phones. iPhone/iPad apps, easy to install, setup, use, and upgrade, runs on low cost machines, support for 20 camera manufactures.

Luxroit I have never used but there is a guy on the forum selling a license viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21187

If you would like demos of the software please PM me.

The ACTi 1231 has twice the resolution, built in illuminator and about twice the focal length range (manual zoom) over the p1343. Never seen that specific camera but the p13's are average, not great so I would say it's close.

If you get Axis, make sure it's the E, like in P1343-E for outdoor use.

The P13 image quality and features are much better then ACTI 1231. Yes the p1343 is one 800x600 but it has h.264 and will do 30FPS in all resolutions . The p1344 is 1M/720P full 30FPS and the P1346 3MP/1080P 20FPS@3MP and 30FPS@1080P.

I don't know where your getting that the P's are average? I have been testing the P1346 for a while now and it is anything but average more like one if the best images on the market.

Also you don't need to get the E versions you can use any outdoor housing.

The 1231 is nice camera and easy to install, but your kidding yourself of you think it has more features and better image quality then the Axis cameras.

I had a similar experience just a couple weeks ago. Someone keyed my son's car right in the driveway at night. I wanted a budget setup that could let me record the driveway at night so if it happens again, we have evidence for the police. I went simple/cheap route and bought a dvr/camera package and then added one better quality day/night camera to mount right over the driveway. It actually is working out well.

I went with a CNB VBM-24VF. It uses the monalisa chip and can see pretty well in low light conditions. Not clear enough to read a plate on a car but clear enough to tell what type of car it is and to help id a person in the driveway. In daytime, it is a nice crisp video that would easily id people and cars.

I don't know where your getting that the P's are average? I have been testing the P1346 for a while now and it is anything but average more like one if the best images on the market.

Didn't say the P's where average, just the P13's. Here's two images, day/night. Of course these are 3MP, so you can't compare to a camera costing half as much like the P1343, but I can tell you, this is no better in image quality than my ACTi cameras other than the 3MP resolution of this camera vs. 1.3MP from ACTi. Ironically, the Axis M1114 is outstanding in comparison to the P1346. From my experience, there's a lot of varience in image quality among Axis, even within the same family and it ranges from average to very good (almost Mobotix quality in some cases, but certainly not the p1346.

Axis P1346

131480_1.jpg

131480_2.jpg

ACTi ACM-1231

131480_3.jpg

131480_4.jpg

Didn't say the P's where average, just the P13's. Here's two images, day/night. Of course these are 3MP, so you can't compare to a camera costing half as much like the P1343, but I can tell you, this is no better in image quality than my ACTi cameras other than the 3MP resolution of this camera vs. 1.3MP from ACTi. Ironically, the Axis M1114 is outstanding in comparison to the P1346. From my experience, there's a lot of varience in image quality among Axis, even within the same family and it ranges from average to very good (almost Mobotix quality in some cases, but certainly not the p1346.

Look at the colors on the 1231!!! Axis is much better with , compression, better frame rates.

Put the 1231 where the P1346 is and you will see a big difference.

Price wise the 1231 is better and it is easier to install.

But after looking at some recorded footage it is had to get good still images with the P1346 even on a full sunny day. The Arecont 3135 has perfectly sharp still shots where the Axis has a little blur.

Edited by Guest

We test all p's series of AXIS. With Panasonic new wv-SP306 series and Mobotix.

So Don't make a trick showing Axis 3Mp camera image and claiming that all the rest cameras from p series have tha same quolity.

Definitely not.

And even more if you will look closly night images from ACTi1231 and Axis 1346 - you will see that Axis absolutly not sharp. It's mean that you will see the person but will don't recognize his face at all, the same is for car plates.

Gues!! if you are posting images - Please don't post still with zero movement pictures!!!

It is only confuzing and didn't give the reality of codec compresion and sensor quality.

We installing CCTV systems not for looking on the day lighted flowers of the backyard.... or yes?

P1344 if you will point it on the camera resoltion test chart. You will see that it even doesn't have 420 TVL. It's wrong camera for fast moving objects at day. I'm not speaking about night quality))

Tommorow i will put some images. If you are intrested.

Always interested in images, with rapid changing technology, it certainly helps. The ACTi was set with a 1/30th second mininum shutter, It gets pretty good clarity on moving objects.

I have the exact setup you are talking about - monitoring the driveway.

Personally, I like the Vivotek cameras, the IP 8332 is an outdoor night vision camera that gives good image quality for about $300.

I use the Vivotek's with Security Monitor Pro, it is an excellent video surveillance software that is much more intuitive than the others I have tried and is under $50 per channel.

would all agree here that the panasonic 502s or new 306 (dome) cameras are superior in night mode than mobotix d12/m12 with d/n lenses?

Mobotix and Arecont dual sensor cameras will do better in low light.

interesting. so if someone wanted to add an ir lluminator to get exceptional low light images, does the ir need to be close to the camera and project (ie. line of sight) same as the camera, or can you place a camera under a porch roof and have the ir under an eaves to hit the entire front yard.

interesting. so if someone wanted to add an ir lluminator to get exceptional low light images, does the ir need to be close to the camera and project (ie. line of sight) same as the camera, or can you place a camera under a porch roof and have the ir under an eaves to hit the entire front yard.

Depends on the beam throw of the Illuminator, and the distance it can cover.