nobbyneb

CCTV as a TV Channel?

Hi there,

As you can probably tell I'm just starting out, looking to install a residential CCTV system. I'm likely to buy a fairly conventional DVR with a BNC Composite out. Somehow I want to feed this into my TV RF distributor to receive CCTV as an analogue channel from any TV in the home. I've seen this done before. Is there some sort of widget required to convert Composite to an RF Feed that can be distributed using standard kit already in the home?

Much thanks in advance!

Yup - look up "cctv rf modulator" on your favorite search engine. "Channel Vision" is a fairly common brand name to look for (no personal experience with them or anyone else, just see that name mentioned a lot).

This device would be inserted where your cable feed comes into the house, immediately before the splitter that sends the signal out to its various destinations.

If your cable company doesn't provide a "blank" channel for this purpose, you'll also need a notch filter to block regular signals on the chosen channel.

If channel 3 is open, you can just use a VCR. They have modulators that output on channel 3. That's what I use. Of course, I use an antenna for TV, so I don't know whether cable uses channel 3.