Kevin L

Can I use an indoor dome camera outdoors?

Hello, all.

I have four IQEye 711 1.3MP cameras in Pelco housings covering most of the outside of my home. I want to place a camera by my front door (see pic - arrow pointing to approx location.) It will be protected from rain and sun since it will be under the porch and pointed down. Until I can afford to put in another expensive outdoor camera/housing, can I use an indoor dome like the ACM-3401 or 3411? What would be the downside?

I'm in Southwest Florida, so freezing is not a problem.

Thanks,

Kevin

349430028_Frontporch.jpg.b5bfb1df82b3745660456416d49aba31.jpg

It's funny, but I asked ACTi this a few days ago and they said weather can still get to it like moisture from dew or a heavy rain bouncing up, so they recomend their outdoor dome, I think it's the 7411. Frankly, putting a dome there would just get the tops of people's heads which in my case is a large shiny object. I decided to just put a 1231 in a similar situation because of the built in IR illuminators although the dome would look better.

I'm not worried about the rain because of the amount of overhang (5 feet). Humidity shouldn't be an issue since the heat of the camera should keep it dry. While the person is at the door, certainly the top of the head would be the main view, but I would catch the face as they walk up to the door.

Has anyone done what I'm asking about?

Thanks!

Like they said, it will work, but for how long is questionable. Maybe a year, maybe a few ...

Eventually air and moisture may get into it and possibly corrode it.

In the tropics here during the Winter we get damp air. Not sure how it is where you are though.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I may give it a try. If I get a year or two out of $200 camera, it'll give me time to look for a deal on an outdoor dome.

Thanks again,

Kevin

What you could do too is caulk around the dome cover and around the base once its been mounted and adjusted. In some cases I caulk around the base of the outdoor domes anyway especially if its mounted sideways on a wall with exposure to direct rain or if the wall is not 100% flat.

What you could do too is caulk around the dome cover and around the base once its been mounted and adjusted. In some cases I caulk around the base of the outdoor domes anyway especially if its mounted sideways on a wall with exposure to direct rain or if the wall is not 100% flat.

I have done these for customers who signed the rider stating yada yada...

Use the GE clear Silicone. Except for Ike, all are them are still working.

although i use the clear silicone also, it is hard to work with and remove, if you want something easier maybe just get the basic white caulking with water cleanup, just do it really neat and you should not even notice it.