mdh

Low Light Camera Design and Selection

Hi,

I am trying to design a new system and need to include some externally mounted cameras. How can I determine if the cameras will be good enought for general surveillance without additional lighting without actually visiting the site at night? I am looking to use IP cameras and this is in a city park-like environment. Is there any rule of thumb that can be used?

For example, if a camera has a spec sheet that states the camera has a sensitivity of colour 0.12 lux and B/W 0.03 lux @ f1.2, what kind of performance would I expect in ambient light at night? The camera is a CMOS imager, mechanical IR filter, and the distance to the target image is about 20-m (using a fixed lens). Would I be able to recognise facial features or only that there was a person in the field of view (or worse nothing at all)?

Thanks.

Good question. Unfortunately, there is not an easy answer. Unlike the photo world where there have been well-established and well-understood standards for features such as film sensitivity since the dawn of photography, the CCTV industry pretty much depends on each manufacturer to come up with their own ratings for features like low-light lux. It's really not possible to purchase one camera over another based on lux ratings on a data sheet without knowing more about the manufacturers and the camera models.

Best,

Christopher

I have used ip megapixel cameras in my installs. These cameras have CMOS sensors.

One thing I noticed, is with CMOS cameras there is a ghost effect at night.

All the movement is blurred. It doesnt matter if the camera has ir cut filter.

To fix this issue, use CCD based ip cameras or use a CMOS camera, increase the shutter speed and add a decent ir illuminator.

Stick with CCD imagers and if you can, IR illuminators. Bosch cameras are awesome at night but they need some ambient light to perform. Bosch illuminators would have no problem illuminating out to 20m.

I have used ip megapixel cameras in my installs. These cameras have CMOS sensors.

One thing I noticed, is with CMOS cameras there is a ghost effect at night.

All the movement is blurred. It doesnt matter if the camera has ir cut filter.

To fix this issue, use CCD based ip cameras or use a CMOS camera, increase the shutter speed and add a decent ir illuminator.

What CCD megapixel cameras do you recommend?

You can use

Acti TCM-5311 and Dynacolor are a few.

In the end you might have to go with CMOS since all the major manufacturers are using CMOS sensors to keep the cost down.

If thats the case, get auto iris cmos cameras that are day and night capable and use a good ir illuminator.

You can use

Acti TCM-5311 and Dynacolor are a few.

In the end you might have to go with CMOS since all the major manufacturers are using CMOS sensors to keep the cost down.

If thats the case, get auto iris cmos cameras that are day and night capable and use a good ir illuminator.

Arecont 3130/3135 or Mobotix M12 both CMOS best low light megapixel cameras.