Birdman Adam

REAL camera to replace cheapies

I'm looking for a suggestion on a real camera to replace my $50 'el-cheapo' ones.

Right now I have the cheap ones outside, viewing my driveway. During the day, they get a red hue from sun glare (they do have sun-guards). At night it's a blackout, they can't see in the dark at all. Finally, the resolution sucks, as you will see in the pictures. I still haven't ever been able to focus them completely. There are normally no lights on in this area.

Please don't laugh at my cheapy cameras

A car driving away at dawn:

131660_1.jpg

Car pulling in during day.

131660_2.jpg

That red sun-glare I was talking about.

131660_3.jpg

A car driving in at night:

131660_4.jpg

Here's links to videos in case you want to get a better view:

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/6352/sunglareexample.mp4

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/3662/daycarexample.mp4

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/8247/nightcarexample.mp4

In the last picture, I want to be able to SEE that car. And everything else, for that matter. I need a camera that can handle a bright sun on a white driveway pad.

I have read around, and it looks like the CNB VBM-24VF is the perfect match for me. True day/night, can actually see in dark, and has an IR-cut filter. The price is nice too, around $150 at online stores. One thing I need to know is if this camera can be used outdoors. What is the IP rating?

Once I choose a camera, I will need a little guidance on cabling.

Also, what online stores are good for ordering the camera, siamese cabling, and connectors.

How is 'The Security Depot'? They look nice, and have stuff I will need, but they don't list prices online, which seems odd to me! Another site that I was wondering about was: supplycctv.com

The VMB-24VF is an outdoor vandal dome, IP66 rated. Also it wont "see in the dark" without additional visible or IR light, but it should see in low light as most true day night cameras will.

Your existing cameras are probably color IR cameras with very little IR, and what it does have that little tree there might be blocking as well. Either way the CNB should be much better then that one, even a CNB color IR vandal dome would be better then that one and put our much more IR. With the 24VF you still might need to add light, what is the lighting like there? Not sure how the 24VF will work with car lights, normally need a WDR type of camera for that.

As for cable, I use RG59 18/2 Siamese, Copper in and out, solid center, NO foil.

Well normally, there is no artificial light, except for the moonlight when it is out. There are 25 watt 'candle' lights on either side of the garage (next to the little tree). You can't see them because they are around the corner. Maybe I can convince my dad to leave them on at night (he's always going around turning off lights to save electricity!). Actually, maybe we can replace those with motion floods...

About cable, I will definitely go with what you use, from what I have read it seems like the standard... I'll be sure to get it with no foil!

Is this a fine place to get my stuff?

[edit by mod-sorry no store links allowed]

supplycctv.com

The CNBs are great cameras, but as rory says, they do need SOME light. You could probably leave the old cameras in place and powered and their IR LEDs would provide some illumination (which the CNBs would make better use of than their own cameras).

If Siamese cable is hard to find, or more in the pricey side where you are, you can use standard RG59 or RG6 coax (former preferred - copper core and braided copper shield) for video, and just about anything else for power - 18/2, speaker wire, UTP... we normally use Station-Z wire, four-conductor 22ga. stuff. Siamese is nice for the convenience but tends to cost more, and personally, I find it more of a pain to pull through tight corners.

As far as your resolution problem, that's more a limitation of the DVR. 320x240 is pretty minimal, not even full CIF (352x240).

I will be changing the record resolution in Zoneminder to 640x480, just haven't done it yet because I have to add a stick of RAM for that to work.

If you saw the IR leds on my camera, you'd laugh - There are like 15 3mm IR LEDs in a circle around the lense. I really don't think it will make a difference.

Now I do have an IR Illuminator like this, except about 2-3 times bigger:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS84Q8WdU4L3gTO7iBdn5EYpA1ouIQ3zfdmImk44H0FNdrjIf8&t=1&usg=__MgPDjAYfvm2GTRhLIlrDf4LwMtA=

I could mount that next to the camera, and point it toward the driveway area. It does give off that faint red glow, but I don't think that will be a big deal.

It's not that I can't get Siamese cable, just that I'm wondering if the price and product I have found online is a good price, and of at least average quality.

Is $65 for 500 ft of black RG59 + 18/2 cable a good price?

131695_1.jpg

Also, the VBM-24VF for $146?

I found it at supplycctv.com

Thanks for telling me that!

I looked at the 'product descritpion':

Siamese Cable - RG-59 95% Copper Shielded Solid Copper Center Conductor

It says that the center conductor is solid copper, I would hope they aren't lying!

Another question - Are BNC twist connectors fine? I did find a crimping tool in my tool box, so if BNC crimp connectors are better I would buy those.

EDIT: How do I know what the power hookup is like on the VBM-24VF? Does it take one of those barrel-plugs? Or are there two terminals in there where I would insert the positive and negative wires?

Crimp vs. twist-on is a subject of some hot debate hereabouts!

I think most here will recommend crimp-ons... twist-ons are convenient and work fine IF you get them just right, but they can be tricky and rely on the cable being stripped properly, or they can be pulled off too easily.

The 24VFs use a screw-terminal connector for power; because they're dual-voltage, the polarity doesn't matter if you're using DC.

i just posted up several pics from cheapie cams vs the 24vf in another thread. There is no comparison between the cheapies and the CNB at night. the 24VF can't see in total darkness but it doesn't take alot of light for them to see. I am using 7 watt candle bulb on my garage and it gives enough light to see out to the street. Not clear enough to read a plate number of course but good enough to get a make on the car and can see faces out to 25 feet or so. I am thinking about adding a second 7 watt bulb on the other side of the driveway and then I'll be set.

Thanks for the first-hand input! I think I will go with leaving the 25 watt lights at either side of the garage on. That sounds like it will be plenty.

So the VBM-24VF just has those screw-terminals, that's good. I thought I'd have to buy one of those pigtails and all.

The crimp connectors shown on this site I'm looking at (supplycctv.com), are only two piece, the actual connector, and the 'ferrule'. I thought the crimp connectors usually had a little pin that you had to put on the center conductor as well?

131739_1.jpg

^This is a common design as well - the center pin uses spring contacts the same as in a twist-on design.

Hey how do you guys fasten, for example, Siamese cabling to a wood stud. Can I just staple with a staple gun between the two jackets, or should I staple across the two (perpendicular)? Maye there's another way?

131773_1.jpg

Anything that uses nails is pretty much limited to wood. Nylon cable saddles can be screwed to wood, steel studs, drywall anchors, hollow-wall anchors, concrete/brick anchors...

yeah the nails are a PITA also .. literally a pain in the finger sometimes! . but I can never find anything down here that will fit the siamese cable other then those Soundy the one you posted looks a little different, how does the cable stay in place?

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm thinking the nail/screw goes thru the hole in the center, between the two jackets, and into the wood or whatever. Do you think I could just do that with a nail only?

Other than that, I think I am done with the questions now, will be buying my supplies soon.

I'll be sure to post some install pics so other new people like me can read this and understand better how to do it. (Also so you guys can point out any mistakes I make!)

BTW I now have Zoneminder set up to record full 640x480, the max size the card can pump out. Just had to edit some memory values in the memory config file for Xubuntu (Slim UI Ubuntu)!

yeah the nails are a PITA also .. literally a pain in the finger sometimes! . but I can never find anything down here that will fit the siamese cable other then those Soundy the one you posted looks a little different, how does the cable stay in place?

Cable tie (aka zip-tie, aka zap-strap), kinda like this:

131778_1.jpg

131777_1.jpg

131777_2.jpg

131777_3.jpg

Edited by Guest

Cable tie (aka zip-tie, aka zap-strap), kinda like this:

131778_1.jpg

ahhh .. ok makes sense thanks. I will have to look for those here .. looks ALOT easier then using the darn nails!