SEANHAWG

Pelco DX1100 DVR problem. Please Diagnose.

So I picked up a used Pelco 4 channel DVR DX1100 for a smokin deal. The last owner was a surplus dealer who liquidates for some prison system. I dont think they had alot of experience with CCTV stuff because they said they could not get the thing to record but I got it to record just fine.

Anyways the only problem that I am having with the thing is that it will sometimes re-boot (turn off, then back on abruptly) out of nowhere. My question is, is this a hard-drive issue or something else? Its only got a little 80 gb hard drive in it but if this is the issue than I could just swap the thing out to get it working again.

And I will have to say that the recording quality on this thing is very sub-par to the point of being embarresing. I have it set to the highest quality setting and it still just looks like junk. I figure with it being a Pelco that it would have decent quality recordings. It was built in 2005 which is a few years back but dang. I have a computer video capture device coming in in the next few days where I can start posting screen shots to show you what I mean on this stuff. Has anyone else used this model?

Is this a PC-based system? The symptoms sound like either a power problem, or a heat problem (likely a failing CPU fan).

Its a standalone DVR and yes I think it may an overheating problem. I will open it up and see if the fans are working.