Sign in to follow this  
yokatta

Wiring from DVR to TVs

I am new to this forum and and seeking some advice. Any comments would be much appreciated.

I am building a new home and have wired for 16 cameras (Cat 6 wire). I am planning on buying a DVR and would like to view at least some of the cameras on my TVs that will be throughout the house. What is the best way to do this? Run 2 or 3 RG6 to each TV (Satellite and CCTV). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also in regards to the wiring. After I got it all wired someone told me I should run RG6 instead because less interference???

Viewing your cameras from your TV isn't hard at all. It depends on what kind of TV service you have though.

Here's my website, and the tutorial I wrote on this:

http://birdman.ulmb.com/dep/guides/cctv_to_catv/index.html

For me, I get digital and analog TV over the air with an antenna. This signal goes from the antenna to the basement, and is distributed by the distribution box in the basement to all the TV's in my house. If your TV's can read at least analog (like almost all TV's can), you can use a modulator. The modulator takes the composite video from your camera or other video output device like your DVR, and makes it a channel. Then you would connect the modulator to the distribution box so that it will be distributed to all the TV's in the house along with the antenna signal. Most modulators you can buy give a choice of channels to output. If you want to go the cheap way, like me, just use any old VCR. Connect the composite output from cameras/dvr into the composite input on the VCR. Then connect the coaxial output from the VCR to the distribution box so that it will be distributed to all the TV's in the house along with the antenna signal. The only is catch is most VCR's only output on channel's 3 or 4.

Oops, I think I read you will have satellite. In that case, I would run the video output on the DVR up to the TV through RG59 (or RG6). At that end, use an adapter so that you can plug the line into one of the composite IN's on your TV.

Just plug the Male BNC connector at the end of your coax to this:

BNC Female to RCA Male Adaptor. This will plug into a Composite input on your TV.

131820_1.jpg

About the wiring. You should be fine with cat5 or cat6. If you are using IP cameras, it will surely work. If using analog cameras, just make sure you use baluns at both ends and your signal will be beautiful, even over huge distances.

Simple:

Like Birdman said: Run a cable from your DVR's video out to your TV's RCA video input. You will basically use your TV as a monitor. If you have a newer TV built within the last few years, chances are your TV has a few of these to where you can switch between them and still see your DVD, Playstation, and other stuff.

If your DVR has a remote, you can simply put the DVR right next to your TV and not even have to get up out of your seat to control the DVR.

Depending on which cable type you use to run from your DVR to your TV you will need to get an adapter. If you plan on using Coax, use the connector that Birdman recommended. If you use an RCA cable, you will need to use an "RCA female to BNC male"

I am currently setting up a system in my house with 2 PTZ's at opposite corners of the house. This pretty much covers all angles of my house with a few exceptions where I will put some fixed cameras. I have young children who like to play outside all the time and I am constantly having to get up to look out the window to check on them. Now all I have to do is pick up my TV remote and switch it to the appropriate video input and pick up my DVR remote and control my PTZ's from the comfort of my couch. I can zoom in and out on the kids and follow them around the yard wherever they go. This will allow me to remain lazily sitting on the couch while I resume my couch potato tendencies.

I too am now more lazy with my CCTV over my TV's. When ever I hear a car pulling in the driveway, I just flip channels instead of getting up to look out the window!

man you guys have it made... I wish I could set my system up to see my cams thru the tv. I have to log my laptop into the remote netviewer and then sometimes it takes 4 or 5 logins before it loads the vid feeds up so I can see what is going on outside. Usually it would be quicker to just go to the window for me.