jbaird

Mounting CNB VBM-24VF's

I need to mount several of these to a drop ceiling (standard ceiling tiles in a commercial type buliding). What is the best way to do this? This may be a silly question, but I have never mounted a dome style camera. What will I need to mount them?

Thanks,

Josh

Yea, if your mounting these in a drop-ceiling, the flush-mount will be easier and even nicer looking.

With the VBM-24VF, I would just 'sandwich' the tile with plywood on top, and the camera below.

I'm sure others have better suggestions

I secured a 24VF directly to the drop ceiling tile support with supplied self tapping screws; drilled hole large enough for connectors to fit. It is very secure, albeit this is metal tile supports

I'll usually just use nylon drywall or concrete anchors for attaching to a tile... use a 1-1/4" or longer drywall screw and screw it through the SIDE of the anchor. Although a piece of plywood or other sort of block of wood (just about anything will do) works too.

I do prefer the VCMs for the flush mounting, they look really clean if done well. The back protrusion just nicely fits a cutout from a 3-1/8" hole saw. When you screw it in, use longer screws and angle them outward a bit, because the holes are fairly close to the body and you want as much material as possible to support the thing.

I never, never mount directly to the T-bar unless there's no other choice.... one, it looks hokey because the camera then has a gap between it and the tiles... two, if you ever need to take it down, the T-bar is a mess... three, a tile can be easily replaced; T-bar can't... and four, a tile can be easily rotated or moved; whereas T-bar can't.

Thanks for the answers, everyone.

Soundy -- since I don't yet have the cameras, I can be flexible here. So, you use the anchors above the tile, and screw the screws in to them through the tile.. you aren't actually using them like traditional anchors?

I'm still pondering.. VCM or VBM.. it seems like it will be easier to mount the VBM's since I don't have to worry about cutting the holes and flush-mounting the cameras. Would you agree?

Thanks

Thanks for the answers, everyone.

Soundy -- since I don't yet have the cameras, I can be flexible here. So, you use the anchors above the tile, and screw the screws in to them through the tile.. you aren't actually using them like traditional anchors?

Correct. The anchor lays on its side and screw goes right through it. It's great for recycling all those anchors that I never use that seem to be packaged with just about everything. Most do have lengthwise slits of some sort, so you do have to make sure you position it so the screw has something to bite, but I've never had a problem with doing it this way.

I'm still pondering.. VCM or VBM.. it seems like it will be easier to mount the VBM's since I don't have to worry about cutting the holes and flush-mounting the cameras. Would you agree?

As Sean says, the VCMs look cleaner when flush-mounted, but I believe the VBMs tend to be a little cheaper.

i did what soundy did, for other domes .. i used sheetrock screws and took the tile down, screw into the side of the wall plug. holds it well. Its just a drop tile anyway, not secure anyway you cut it. Im not fond of cutting a huge hole in the clients drop tile so i just surface mount.

Im not fond of cutting a huge hole in the clients drop tile so i just surface mount.

Yeah, but either way, you still have a hole there if you ever have to take the camera down. Either way, you can use a blank plate to cover the hole... but you're better off just replacing the tile.

BTW, I use this method for securing J-mounts for box cameras, too.

Im not fond of cutting a huge hole in the clients drop tile so i just surface mount.

Yeah, but either way, you still have a hole there if you ever have to take the camera down. Either way, you can use a blank plate to cover the hole... but you're better off just replacing the tile.

Its quit a difference in the size of the hole, and most clients wont be replacing tiles.

Its quit a difference in the size of the hole,

And what do you do about the screw holes?

and most clients wont be replacing tiles.

99% of my clients have spares. Since they typically come in packs of 20 or 40, and some always have to get cut for edges, corners, etc., there are almost always a good number of intact leftovers from a job.

And what do you do about the screw holes?

what can be done about the screw holes? they are hardly noticable using sheetrock screws but a little white caulking can take care of them simple as 123.

99% of my clients have spares. Since they typically come in packs of 20 or 40, and some always have to get cut for edges, corners, etc., there are almost always a good number of intact leftovers from a job.

Maybe for newer stores but for most existing old ones ive ever come across theyve never had spares easily available. But thats down here. Most stores here are missing a tile or two actually from damage from leaks or what not, or used up any spares on ones that got damaged over the years. Even on new installs here the contractors in many cases just take the spares to use on other jobs.

On topic though, is it easy to mount the flush ones, does it just hook to the other side of the tile? Just curious as never installed them before but might .. one day