nifter53

Need the Final Part of the Puzzle

Hi There,

I'm putting together a system for a local airport. Here are the details so far.

Server:

Windows 2003 64Bit

Dual Quad core Xeon @2.0 Ghz

8GB Ram

8x 2TB HD (Raid 5=12TB)

Exacq Software

Outdoor Cameras

4x Stardot 5MP H264 D/N

1x Stardot 1.3MP MJPEG D/N

Indoor cameras (Here's the question)

I have a budget of roughly 600-700/camera and I need 6 Cameras

I'm currently testing the Vivotek FD8161 and the Acti TCM3511

I'm considering from the Arecont AV2100DN and AV3105DN

and from IQINVISION the IQD31SI-F1

I would prefer a minimum resolution of 1.3MP, but will probably be ok with 720P for some of the cameras. 2 of the cameras can be box, but the others must be dome.

The lighting is fairly consistant in all locations, overhead pot lamps. 4mm lens works fine for field of view.

Does anyone have any experience with the above cameras, or know of a camera(s) that they have used in the past that would fit this budget and works well?

Thanks!

Indoors I have an ACTi ACM-4201 (1.3MP) and with indoor lighting, it works very well and is cheap, about $250 and has interchangeble lenses but comes with a 4mm. The 5311 is nice, but having IR leds, IR cut filter and varifocal lens maybe overkill in the environment you stated.

Another camera that does well in dim lighting is the new Axis M1114 (or M1113 with a fixed lens). Very sharp image, works well indoors and priced well, about $450-500. I normally don't like Axis because of it's poor image in low light, but this one really works well.

I had an Arecont AV3100DN and didn't like it at all, dumped it on eBay for cheap. Be careful with Arecont, they do not include a lens in their price. Also service is slow, took weeks for them to respond where Axis, ACTi, Mobotix responds within 24 hours each time.

The reason I've never gotten Vivotek was people's experience in getting defective cameras replaced and stories of inconsistant quality.

IQinVision is another one that I've avoided because even though the company is in the U.S. and they charge top dollar for their cameras, they are made in China.

On your server, make sure you add a decent graphics card. Also make sure your motherboard can accept a high performance graphics card.

Is the exacq software compatble with 64 bit Windows?

You don't need a high performance graphics card on your server. You will need one in the client if you are going to have multiple monitors and yes Exacq with compatable with 64bit. What raid card are you planing on using?

The server is running 2k3 64bit and exacq is running fine on this. 2x quad core xeon 2.0ghz CPU and 8GB Ram.

OS- RAID 1 (2X1TB)= 100GB OS partition and 1.9TB DATA

DATA- RAID 5 (6x2TB)=9TB

I'm hoping for 60 days retention. 4x5MP H.264 (I may reduce 2 cams to 1080p) and 1x 1.3MP Startdot outdoor cams and 4x 720p H.264, 1x 2MP H.264 and 1x 1.3MP H.264 indoor cams.

I think I've decided on IQeye basic domes and Axis M1114's for the inside cams. I'm going to test the Vivotek FD8161 and Acti TCM-3511 to compare.

anyone see issues?

What brand of RAID card are you using?

Is the server connected to IP KVM?

I have used vivotek and acti cameras. Its been six months and they still dont need a reboot.

I bought some cost effective "cheap" ip cameras and they had to be rebooted every 2 weeks.

Server is a poweredge 510 with perc6/i. Drives are WD Black 2TB, on par with Raptor drives.

IP KVM should not be necessary. Exacq will allow remote cam/server management and rdp will allow for remote os maintenance. Or was there another reason for suggesting this?

Thanks!

Dell Server must be a pretty penny.

I hope Dell fixed the low battery error on their PERC cards.

I was only asking about ip kvm because sometimes these bad boys become unresponsive and remote management on the software level doen't work. The last thing you want is to go to the data center at 11 o'clock at night.

How many total cameras are you setting up on this unit?

Last month I set up a dual 2.6 Xeon machine and instead of RAID 1 on standard drives I used SSD.

It's for a local airport. 11 cameras. 5 Outdoor, 6 indoor.

They keep the lights on 24/7 inside and light up the tarmack as well.

The SSD drive have great access times, but I'm estimating I need 11TB of storage, so....

Dell Server must be a pretty penny.

I hope Dell fixed the low battery error on their PERC cards.

I was only asking about ip kvm because sometimes these bad boys become unresponsive and remote management on the software level doen't work. The last thing you want is to go to the data center at 11 o'clock at night.

How many total cameras are you setting up on this unit?

Last month I set up a dual 2.6 Xeon machine and instead of RAID 1 on standard drives I used SSD.

What VMS software are you using with the SSD?