Im looking at cleaning up some coax wires for a client .. they didnt ask but its a mess as theyve been added to over the years and in most cases conduit after conduit has been added, also down the same wall for example they have added other conduits full of other cable, some high voltage. I want to get the camera wire away from all that crap .. really at some points there is no conduit as it splits off and goes into wire mold or around certain bends and it all is next together tie strapped or other. At the moment its hard to tell what is what and I cant just go taking it all and redoing it .. or I could but I have another idea while Im at it:

Basically I have about 7 cameras ...

3 of them are approx 150' run from the DVR ..

2 are approx 250' run ..

another 2 are well over 300'

All are using Siamese cable and powered back at the DVR.

All the cable runs down a wall in conduits ... then it either branches off to the cameras or goes on further then branches off to the other cameras.

At about 300'+-, basically between 3 of them and the rest, there is a guest house, a small cottage.

there is already a cat5 cable run there and they have a router in there so the tenant can use the internet, that goes right back to the router next to the DVR and cable modem.

These are all non IP cameras and all are day and pitch dark night apps ... doubtful the client will switch them to IP just yet, perhaps in the future though. All but 3 of the closer cameras go right past the guest house .. the other 3 I could get the wire run to them easily as its only approx 50-75' away and its all lawn or bush/wall.

Im thinking I could scrap all the coax going to them from the DVR .. just use the coax from the guest house .. but then I need to convert them all to IP in there. Also need to convert at the DVR end as for now its a stand alone DVR - maybe change that later.

What kind of router/switch and encoders/decoders do you recommend?

Also, I would have to power them all at the guest house using a standard Distributed Fused PSU as they draw alot due to heavy duty IR, so dont think I would need POE unless just to have for future.

Need something available in the US ofcourse, and something good not cheap, but its not a military compound so doesnt have to be the best! Want something compatible with Exacq or similar, in other words not some unknown brand.

Thanks.

If there's already a working network connection between the two buildings, I'd say a multi-channel video server would be the best bet to get multiple cameras fed back to the other end.

CNB makes (or OEMs, I dunno which) a single-channel video server, but I know others like Axis, Panasonic, and Vivotek have multi-channel models - four analog inputs, single ethernet output, for example.

If you wanted to keep the cameras to a dedicated network, GEM has an IP-over-coax adapter that claims up to 1.8km usable distance... others like HighWire probably do the same.

yeah checking out video encoders and the prices are pretty expensive .. see acti has an 8-channel but thats alot of $$ more then 2 x 4-channel ones ... dont know if Axis has one .. id prefer axis due to its network streaming technology .. but their site is down .. problem also is that Acti's single channel video decoder is almost as much as a 4 channel video encoder

I guess im going to have to do this and the same time quote them on an NVR so it makes sense .. as the decoders seem to be just way to pricey.

For just transmit video via IP i just use Hikvision encoders and decoders.

But. Is this the solution?

I thing, if you want keep existing cameras, just put them to encoders, but do not use any decoders. Just use some of IP VMS....

I would switch to a Hybrid DVR and call it a day.... By they time you spend all the money on decoders you could replace DVR with a Hybrid and save yourself a lot of headaches.

Yeah seems thats the way to go .. those decoders seem to cost waaaayy too much.

So will start looking at going that route then.