tweak'e

water proofing on adjustable lens bullet cams

toying with the idea of upgrading a cam. a local site has KT&C Varifocal Bullet Camera in stock. IP 67 rated but whats that mean in reality. I've had water problems before. its going to get covered in water and mud.

how water proof are these really?

Ive got varifocal lens bullets in the field no problems in general .. but cant speak for this camera.

with bullet cameras it can differ from one to the next even using the same camera.

i normally caulk the area where the cable goes into it though.

while,maybe the camera will be covered with mud and water ,but it will not influence the function of water-proof,all you should do is to clean up the mud otherwise it will cover the lens....in general ,water-proof can be reality ~~and i know some kinds of ip camera which are good at water-proof~~you can try them.

lucy

"covered in water and mud" tells us the gasket borken or the house-self problem.

you need to work on your english there mate

cameras are mounted on a vehicle.

just worried about them leaking through the lens adjustment part. the rest i can seal up.

funny this thread should come up right now ..

i just got thrown into fixing a job where outdoor cameras were just dropping off one by one till there were 6 cameras down .. out of 12. All Made In China cameras just for information.

One camera was a turret Color IR dome mounted on the side of an eave .. ofcourse it got hit hard .. anyway it was full of water and actually though it was vandal resistant I didnt have the tiny little alan key on me and i just twisted and rocked it a little until it came off LOL. Not even sure if it was weather resistant (didnt see any rubber rings) but gutted it and the boards were fried inside. It was actually mounted sideways so it took alot of heavy rain. BTW Cable and power good as a test camera works fine there.

Another camera, a Color IR bullet Camera .. also had water and showed it on screen with fogging up from condensation, was shorting out after a while so disconnected and it seems no burnt parts inside .. caught it in time. With that one a truck had took out a power line on the lamp pole which is next to the pole this is mounted on which then knocked this camera, as it got knocked its cable dug into the metal pole the cable goes into, exposing a gash in its cable just in the back of it (no short from the exposed wire though). This seems to have loosened up where the cable goes into the back letting water into it. Oh well .. it needs a little caulk and cable work but should be good to go. BTW otherwise the coax cable is good.

Another camera, Color IR bullet .. its on the roof but the roof is surrounded by razor wire .. guess they put that up after the camera was mounted! Anyway standing on the top of a ladder trying not to fall into the rusty razor wire I could not see any water in it BUT they had the DIY cable they had used, instead of coax, connected with RCA connectors exposed to the elements .. didnt even notice any electric tape over them .. the connections were just strapped to the wooden pole just below the camera. Oh well .. once I can get past the razor barbed wire should be an easy fix .. bad connectors hopefully, perhaps run new cable and mount a box also!

Another camera .. yet another color IR camera (6mm 1/4" lens from the looks of it) well it also was down but had no water in it, mounted to a wooden pole again .. got to it tip toeing on top of an 8 foot ladder .. got rid of the connectors and it was good to go. Funny thing is the connectors in that case were in a weatherproof gang box which was covered in caulking .. however the box inside was literally full of insects so obviously there was exposure. Anyway customer happy it works, one less to replace.

Hmmm .. 2 other cameras .. Panasonic WDR DN Box in a housing .. the cable going to it was never run properly and actually at part of it was exposed as there was no conduit .. it had been cut and both ends had been sitting in the mud for months .. so obviously need to run an entirely new cable and condiut and properly this time. The other, GE Day Night Box camera .. works fine as I took it down .. metered and toned cable which is bad .. someone did some work and dug up the area where the conduit was and then put the dirt back .. so damaged cable/conduit there also.

Anyway .. the point of this little story was that although these are all cheap Color IR cameras, it was not really the cameras fault in this case!

"covered in water and mud" tells us the gasket borken or the house-self problem.

you need to work on your english there mate

cameras are mounted on a vehicle.

just worried about them leaking through the lens adjustment part. the rest i can seal up.

well, the camera should have a rubber stopper to fill the hole which is for adjusting the lens.