mkstretch

Help running mini Mic

You don't NEED baluns, but you should use shielded cable to avoid noise. Keep in mind that this mic needs to be powered, as well.

Thanks for the reply. The 22g wire I have in the wall for the mic has no connections on the ends. My audio connection on my dvr is a bnc and so is the mic. I've seen baluns with bnc and power on one, would the make it easier for my to connect?

Thanks for the reply. The 22g wire I have in the wall for the mic has no connections on the ends. My audio connection on my dvr is a bnc and so is the mic. I've seen baluns with bnc and power on one, would the make it easier for my to connect?

Those baluns are designed for video - they MAY work with audio, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Are their any mics that do not require power? That connect to a BNC input on a DVR? Thanks!

You want a "dynamic" mic. I've never seen a mic of any type that comes with a BNC connector, though - most use either an RCA or a tip-sleeve or tip-ring-sleeve type connector (like a headphone plug). Professional ones use locking XLR connectors.

There are adapters available that will let you connect just about anything to your BNC inputs, through a combination of adapters, if necessary.

Those baluns are designed for video - they MAY work with audio, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Are their any mics that do not require power? That connect to a BNC input on a DVR? Thanks!

You want a "dynamic" mic. I've never seen a mic of any type that comes with a BNC connector, though - most use either an RCA or a tip-sleeve or tip-ring-sleeve type connector (like a headphone plug). Professional ones use locking XLR connectors.

There are adapters available that will let you connect just about anything to your BNC inputs, through a combination of adapters, if necessary.

When I had my system installed they installed the mic from my link above, and they put a video balun on one end and one to connect it to the dvr. Also does it make a difference that im using 22G wire?(phone wire I think)

Okay, I'll rephrase: there's no reason the video balun wouldn't WORK, but I wouldn't expect it to help any potential noise issues. If anything I'd expect it to lower the audio level somewhat. I suspect they were used more just to provide the BNC termination.

The size of the wire makes no difference to the audio.

BNC audio on the DVR? Thats a first ..

Anyway .. perhaps .. if you dont want to just splice it with beanies or tape, etc .. go down to radio shack and get terminal or barrier strips and cut out a 2x2 block with cutters or scissors, if you want to make it a little neater maybe hide it in a white decorative electric gang box .. tie the cat5 into one side of the strip .. then get an RCA cable long enough to run to your DVR ... cut one end and tie that into the other side of the strip ... then get a RCA-BNC connector and put that on the other end of the RCA cable and plug that into the DVR .. should work?

Thanks much guys! Sorry for all the questions. Would this [edit by mod - store link removed, sorry no store links allowed] work to hook the mic in my first post up to my dvr and CCTV power panel?

Ok another question, now I can hook the power of the mic directly into the cctv power panel right? Because my other mic is spliced together with my cameras power. Thanks!