jets

Need advice re: hi res wireless ext surveillance system

Greetings: I need advice asap.

I'm not well versed yet in wireless hi res video and removable storage media.

At a client's construction site, materials are disappearing, possibly during the day as well as night.

Disclaimer: I have yet to see the site. The customer described the following scenario, and I need to know what is possible. I will visit the site very soon.

Ultimately he'd like 2 exterior hi res cameras that would enable him to 'read a license plate from 30 feet'.. in actuality he doesn't want to solely capture plate #'s.. he wants to be able, if there is an event, to zoom in on the recorded material, capture some details on a license plate if possible, but at least get enough details of a person and vehicle to be able to present decent images to authorities to follow up.

Obviously doing so at night is much more difficult, if not impossible, than during the day.

He said there's electricity at the proposed cam locations, but that video transmission back to a recording device would need to be wireless.

And he'd like the recording device to have swappable storage format, so that he could go to the site and quickly remove a recorded drive on a daily basis, and insert a fresh one while he takes the recorded drive back to his office to view.

Of course storage capacity is dependent upon data size which is affected by bit rate, frame rate etc.

So I'm of course not asking anyone to spec a system.. obviously the variables are too great at this time. I am needing info on current technology capabilities.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has done something similar or truly knows the current capabilities of the technology.

Thanks

Jeff

Capturing a wide area with enough resolution to zoom in and identify a face or plate is going to cost a lot to actually make it work, nevermind adding the wireless component. In general, a better idea might be to identify a choke point or two (entry/exit gates, for example), put tight views on those for identification, and then have a lower-res wide view of the yard to capture activity.

Before you get too set on wireless, check the site out first, see if there's not somewhere you can put camera(s) and recorder together.