Caesarkat

Hello ! Newbie needs help with Hikvision Network DVR

Hello All,

I just purchased my first DVR/DVS, a Hikvision DS-7204HVI-S.

So far I only have (1) camera connected to it. When I type in the DVR's IP address in my broswer window, I have no problem viewing it from within my home's wireless network.

Next step is to connect to it from outside my home's network. I enabled port forwarding on my linksys router but I can't seem to connect. I have Verizon DSL as my ISP.

What information am I missing from my Linksys router or DVR?

The box claims you can view live from a cell phone? So from another PC shouldn't be a problem?

Thanks!

You really don't need two different posts for the same problem.

When you say you've "enabled port forwarding", are you sure you have ALL required ports forwarded? Many DVRs use port 80, and one or two others. Do you have the DVR configured with a static IP, or is it pulling an IP from the router's DHCP server? Linksys routers are notorious for not renewing DHCP leases correctly, and internal IPs can shift randomly, so the forwarding you set up initially may not be valid anymore.

You might also check if Verizon blocks port 80 - many ISPs do, to prevent customers from running their own webservers. If your DVR allows you to change the web port, try it on port 8080 or something else non-standard.

Hello,

After reading the different forums, I thought my post would be more suitable in the "Computers/Networking" forum.

Outside Line >Verizon DSL Modem > Linksys WRT54G wireless router > Hikvision.

Linksys web page: Under "Set UP" tab the Linksys is currently in DHCP mode.

Should this be set to "Static IP"?

I think your right about my DVR is using a IP assigned by the router.

I've been changing the ports to match both DVR & router (5900, 8000, 8080, etc..).

Just for test purposes & because a router can really muddy things up, could I remove the router and just plug the DVR into the Verizon modem? Would this method determine if my ISP is blocking my access?

Thanks!

Outside Line >Verizon DSL Modem > Linksys WRT54G wireless router > Hikvision.

Linksys web page: Under "Set UP" tab the Linksys is currently in DHCP mode.

Should this be set to "Static IP"?

No. This defines what sort of connection your ISP uses.

In order for machines on your network (your PC, your DVR, anything on wireless or plugged into the LAN ports) to communicate, they must all have an IP on the internal network - by default, something starting with 192.168.1.*. This is normally assigned by the router's own DHCP server. Your PC may, for example, receive and IP of 192.168.1.100; the DVR of 192.168.1.101, and so on (you'd have to check the DVR or the router's DHCP table to see what each device actually has).

In the port forwarding then, you would need to forward the required port(s) to the DVR's IP. The problem is, some Linksys routers don't handle DHCP properly and that address may change, which would then break the port forwarding.

The workaround is to set the IP in the DVR manually... making sure to include the other necessary info (bare minimum, the "netmask" setting of 255.255.255.0).

Just for test purposes & because a router can really muddy things up, could I remove the router and just plug the DVR into the Verizon modem? Would this method determine if my ISP is blocking my access?

Thanks!

MAYBE. Your outside IP will likely change if you do this, and you'll probably have to reset the modem after switching the connection. The other option is to find the router's DMZ option, and enter the DVR's IP there. This effectively opens that IP up to the internet; any ports that aren't forwarded somewhere else will go to that IP.

I'm using the information on page 59 of this manual.

Also, for this example, I'm using the following IP Adress info. Change it according to the IP addressing used on your network:

- Verizon DSL Modem has an internal (LAN) IP address of 192.168.1.254

- Linksys Router has a manually configured WAN (Internet) IP address of 192.168.1.200, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.1.254, DNS 192.168.1.254

- Linksys router has an internal (LAN) IP address of 192.168.2.1

- DVR has a manually configured IP address of 192.168.2.200

- Linksys Router is not set for PPPoE.

First, you need to configure port forwarding on the Verizon DSL modem. In the Verizon DSL modem configure ports 8000 & 80 to forward to 192.168.1.200 (the WAN (Internet) IP address of the Linksys router).

Second, you need to configure port forwarding for the DVR on the Linksys router. In the Linksys router configure ports 8000 & 80 to forward to 192.168.2.200 (the IP address of the DVR).

Use your currently assigned WAN IP address (assigned by Verizon) to try and connect to the DVR. The WAN IP address can be found by accessing the Verizon modem or going to a website like ipchicken.com. When you try and connect to the DVR using the WAN IP address you may need to be outside your network, i.e., connected to the Internet from somewhere else, like a friends house.

If all ports were forwarded properly it should work.

EDIT: Bottom line is when you use a router connected to a DSL modem and the router is not configured for PPPoE you need to configure port forwarding in both devices. The information needs to know what path to take....and you need to tell it

Hello,

Well, I called Verizon when I couldn't access the modem's web page. Verizon said my Westell 2100 modem is a dumb modem (no logon site, no port blocking, no changes can be made internally). I guess that's good, one less thing to program.

My IP with Verizon is dynamic.

So I'm now down to (2) devices Linksys router & the DVR.

Still learning/reading about the other settings...stay tuned..

Thanks!

Edited by Guest

You DO need to know your Verizon IP to connect from outside your LAN - you should be able to get this by going to www.ipchicken.com on your PC. Note that this address may change sporadically as well, so you will likely either need to subscribe to a dynamic-DNS service, or order a static IP from Verizon (will probably run an extra $10/mo or so).

Hello,

I have to call verizon back tomorrow regarding a "Static IP" address and it's costs.

Curious: How come I didn't need a "Static IP" when I used VNC to remotely connect my cell phone to my PC?

Sorry for the questions, I know too little about alot of different things.

Thanks!

Hello,

Curious: How come I didn't need a "Static IP" when I used VNC to remotely connect my cell phone to my PC?

Because many times even when the IP address renews it will get the same one it had previously. The modem can go for months without getting a new IP address. It's not truly static though as it can change. By the way, I curious as to how you configured the VNC port forwarding. Which service are you using?

Well, I called Verizon when I couldn't access the modem's web page. Verizon said my Westell 2100 modem is a dumb modem (no logon site, no port blocking, no changes can be made internally).

I find that difficult to believe. I've worked with dozens of the Westell 2100's and they all had configuration options. To find your modems internal IP address access the Linksys configuration page & click on status. The Default Gateway will be the modems address. Most likely it's 192.168.1.1 or 254.

Hello,

Because many times even when the IP address renews it will get the same one it had previously. The modem can go for months without getting a new IP address. It's not truly static though as it can change.

Agreed. You don't "need" a static IP *for this to work*. You DO need to either have a static IP, OR use a DDNS service, if you want to be ASSURED of being able to connect in the future.

Worst case, the IP changes, and you have to look up the new IP before you can connect again. Not really a big deal.

BTW, a static IP from your provider doesn't completely guarantee the IP won't change: our telco/DSL provider here recently made changes to their network structure that resulted in several of our customers having changed "static" IPs. In this case, "static" actually means "reserved", which in DHCP terms means that address from the pool is marked as being permanently assigned to a certain MAC address; however, if the pool itself is reassigned, the reserved IP gets reassigned along with it.

By the way, I curious as to how you configured the VNC port forwarding. Which service are you using?

Every version of VNC I've ever used has defaulted to port 5900, and 5800 for HTTP. They also allow you to set it to whatever port you want. VNC should require only a single port.

Well, I called Verizon when I couldn't access the modem's web page. Verizon said my Westell 2100 modem is a dumb modem (no logon site, no port blocking, no changes can be made internally).

I find that difficult to believe. I've worked with dozens of the Westell 2100's and they all had configuration options. To find your modems internal IP address access the Linksys configuration page & click on status. The Default Gateway will be the modems address. Most likely it's 192.168.1.1 or 254.

Or it will be a more "random" number that matches what you get from www.ipchicken.com, which means the modem is operating in "dumb" mode. There's nothing that says the modem HAS to provide NAT translation.

Hello,

Because many times even when the IP address renews it will get the same one it had previously. The modem can go for months without getting a new IP address. It's not truly static though as it can change. By the way, I curious as to how you configured the VNC port forwarding. Which service are you using?

I was using TightVNC on my PC & AndroidVNC on my phone, and yes it was 5900. That's when I tried a cheap used PCI slot DVR card. I coundn't see any live video and it had very slow response time. It was too much fussing for me so I'm trying a DVR unit to replace my PC.

IPChicken & Linksys status are the same IP address, When I enter the address indicated by IPChicken into my browser, it takes me to my Linksys router's home page. Trying to get some pics...

556359355_2010-09-052015.48-Copy.jpg.5310b53ea330350536d160d5b6a02147.jpg

2134319773_2010-09-052016.0-Copy.jpg.6a0fa56faa717c6c95e1410fa31e7c06.jpg

55485452_2010-09-0600_02.5-Copy.jpg.0cc3456c80849df30a287329ab980e94.jpg

I was using TightVNC on my PC & AndroidVNC on my phone, and yes it was 5900. That's when I tried a cheap used PCI slot DVR card. I coundn't see any live video and it had very slow response time. It was too much fussing for me so I'm trying a DVR unit to replace my PC.

Actually, the DVR card should work as well, IF the software for it supports web access - you could just view it through your phone's browser (well, as long it doesn't require IE).

IPChicken & Linksys status are the same IP address, When I enter the address indicated by IPChicken into my browser, it takes me to my Linksys router's home page. Trying to get some pics...

OOoo, that's not good - that means anyone on the internet could access your router's config by just randomly typing your IP. I hope you at least changed the default admin password.

Normally if you have external admin access enabled, it will default to a port like 1080 or 8080 - it certainly shouldn't be using port 80.

From the photos, it looks like this should work... making sure, of course, that you're specifying the proper port number on your browser's command line (eg. http://108.1.xxx.xxx:8000 - I assume you already have this figured out though, since you say you can access it on your phone's WiFi connection).

So we're back to the possibility that the DVR uses other ports besides what you set there for its communication... again, a way to test that is to enter the DVR's IP in the router's DMZ section.

You could also try adding the Gateway address in the DVR setup - this would be 192.168.1.1. It SHOULDN'T be necessary, but it won't hurt to try. Use the same address for the DNS entry as well.

Hmm, wait... looking at the picture again, there's a separate entry for "http port" in the router settings... port 8000 is likely for the data connection that client software (or a web app) would look for, but the initial web connection would need to be made on port 80, and from the sound if it, your router's config page is snapping that up. Try disabling "remote admin", or changing it to a different port, and then forward port 80 to the DVR, as well as 8000. Or change the router's HTTP port to something else, and forward that to it (maybe 88).

Also keep in mind your ISP might have port 80 blocked.

Don't think so - he appears to be hitting his router's config page on port 80.

down here any residential service has port 80 blocked

"When I enter the address indicated by IPChicken into my browser, it takes me to my Linksys router's home page."

down here any residential service has port 80 blocked

"When I enter the address indicated by IPChicken into my browser, it takes me to my Linksys router's home page."

Missed that one, sounds like its open

Hello,

OOoo, that's not good - that means anyone on the internet could access your router's config by just randomly typing your IP. I hope you at least changed the default admin password.

Yes, not using default pswrd..

So we're back to the possibility that the DVR uses other ports besides what you set there for its communication... again, a way to test that is to enter the DVR's IP in the router's DMZ section.

Completed WORKS... When I enable DMZ I can log into my DVR by entering my Verizon IP 108.xxx.xxx.xxx, then I'm prompted for the DVR Password... Thanks to my neighbor not securing his wireless, I just disconnect from my network to perform any checks/tests. Works from accross town PC. I understand the DMZ opens all ports to the internet. So I problem may still be with port forwarding?

You could also try adding the Gateway address in the DVR setup - this would be 192.168.1.1. It SHOULDN'T be necessary, but it won't hurt to try. Use the same address for the DNS entry as well.

Completed...

Actually, the DVR card should work as well, IF the software for it supports web access - you could just view it through your phone's browser (well, as long it doesn't require IE).

Found something! DVR makes no mention of Android compatability...I'm using Android OS on my phone. Calling my friends to see who has Windows Mobile on their phone to test.

Still chipping away...stay tuned...

Thank You!

I can test it on my WinMo phone, if you want to shoot me the IP in a PM.

Really, the OS shouldn't matter as much as the browser.... IN THEORY, if it works on a range of mobile browsers, that probably means it doesn't use ActiveX or anything else proprietary, and should work on almost any browser. My Samsung Omnia has Pocket IE, Opera, and Snapfire (Mozilla-based).

IN any case, it looks like you just need to have both ports 80 and 8000 forwarded to the DVR (unless you change those options).

134131_1.jpg

That won't do it... you need 2 ports forwarded. One for web access, one for data. I always change web port usually to 90, and leave data port at 8000. The forward 90 and 8000 from router to DVR (192.168.1.102).

With only 8000 forwarded you would be able to use Hikvision CMS software, mobile phone clients, etc, but you would not have web interface for the DVR.

134131_2.jpg

You also MUST configure the DVR gateway so it can connect to the internet, I guess it will be in your case something like 192.168.1.1.

Edit: No, I think you won't get this to work with Android for now... I would love to see Hikvision start releasing client programs for Android

You also MUST configure the DVR gateway so it can connect to the internet, I guess it will be in your case something like 192.168.1.1.

Actually, that's only necessary if you're setting it up for DDNS or something else that requires the DVR to make an outgoing internet connection... it's still good practice to have the gateway there, but it's not required for the system to communicate with other 192.168.1.* addresses, including the router.

Actually, that's only necessary if you're setting it up for DDNS or something else that requires the DVR to make an outgoing internet connection... it's still good practice to have the gateway there, but it's not required for the system to communicate with other 192.168.1.* addresses, including the router.

This didn't happen to me with this DVR; but I have seen DVRs that with no gateway setup, you could connect to them correctly, login, but then you would get no video at all. Live view? Nope. Recorded videos? Nope. Seting up the gateway solved it, so I would never leave out that basic piece of info...

Hello All!

That won't do it... you need 2 ports forwarded. One for web access, one for data. I always change web port usually to 90, and leave data port at 8000. The forward 90 and 8000 from router to DVR (192.168.1.102).

To test my understanding, My linksys will have 2 entries (8080 and 90) in "Port Forwarding" both pointing to the same 192.168.1.102 ?

New pics: After fussing around the port forwarding is now 8080 and I did add the Gateway as discussed.

When I turn off DMZ, I can no longer connect remotely...

Thanks!

975518933_2010-09-0621_41.24(3).jpg.16af47ec2af25ab46463699660b93afe.jpg

176451198_2010-09-0621_42_50.jpg.1655dc5b4fde0f7289266cf550c57a39.jpg

Hello All!

To test my understanding, My linksys will have 2 entries (8080 and 90) in "Port Forwarding" both pointing to the same 192.168.1.102 ?

New pics: After fussing around the port forwarding is now 8080 and I did add the Gateway as discussed.

When I turn off DMZ, I can no longer connect remotely...

Thanks!

You also have to set the "HTTP PORT" in the DVR to '90' for this to work, and then use http://108.1.xxx.xxx:90 to connect to it remotely. Either that, or just forward port 80 to the DVR and leave everything else as-is.

80 is the default port for http, so when you tell a browser to use http protocol (by starting a URL with "http://"), it will try to connect on port 80. If you want to use a different port, you have to specify it.

Using port 90 won't make things work any better, BTW... it's simply a security measure to make sure if someone "accidentally" plugs your IP into their browser, they won't get your DVR by default. (It would also be necessary to use a different port if you're running a full webserver on the same connection).

Hello,

Well the hunt is on for a phone or app the connects to my DVR.

The DMZ test is great. It's disabled now, and I can still access the device.

Thanks for sharing your networking experience with this newbie. I have a greater understanding on how my router actually works. All seems to be working just fine. I'm sure I'll be posting more questions as I progress.

Thanks Again ! " title="Applause" />