Tyrian

Dual DVR's in 1 PC. Migrating 2 servers into 1.

Hi All,

I have been given the task to be able to migrate our 2 PC based security servers into 1 single machine using 2 DVR cards. The cards to be used are a HICAP200 & MIS0816. The HICAP200 is currently in a Windows based machine & the MIS0816 is in a Securview Linux server.

I have yet to find any software that will utilise 2 DVR's running 16 cameras each = 32 cameras. It would be nice to have some headroom to be able to upgrade to IP cameras which is the plan in the near future.

Any help on if this can/can't be done & what software to use would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise would 2 servers & single client that displays both banks of cameras be better?

Cheers

Simon

I doubt that you will find any Software that runs with both cards.

I have some Hicap-100 and you cannot have two of those in 1 computer. I think it's the same for your card.

You should consider buying 2 identical cards with Software that supports 32 Channels and build a proper 32 Channel DVR with these. I did this and used these:

http://www.netvisiondvr.com/ProductInfo.asp?id=66

Works very well! I have the cheapest core 2 quad as CPU and CPU usage is around 19% with 32 channels connected and recording.

koolmer

Edit: you might be able to run both Software on 1 computer - you can at least try. Unless your computer is realy powerful, I think it will make it (if it works) VERY slow. The Hicap has Software compression - not sure about the other card that you have.

I gather you're trying to do this all one a single Windows machine? First thing you'd have to do is find working drivers and software to get the MIS card working in Windows at all.

As koolmer says, it's highly unlikely you'll find any software that will work with two different cards at once. A few will work with two identical cards, but even those are rare. Anything you do find that will do what you want in a single package is likely to be unstable and unrefined.

Now, running two separate packages with two separate cards and their own separate drivers SHOULD work, in theory... however, it's likely to be unstable as well - any number of hardware or driver conflicts could cause crashes or performance issues.

At this point, you're effectively running two separate systems anyway, the only real difference is the footprint of one tower vs. two. Given the potential problems, you're back to ideally running two individual computers.

I take it this is for a company security system, meaning proper operation and stabilty are critical; this isn't something you want to be messing with and trying unconventional, unproven methods. Your best suggestion, really, is that the company either upgrade their existing two machines as needed (if they're set on making it work with the existing cards and software), or ideally just replacing it all with one 32-channel system, and be done with it.

Ultimately, what is your time worth? How much will it cost them to have you fighting with this concept for an extended period, only to end up with something that may be unreliable?

Thanks for the info there guys.

Soundy, you've hit the nail on the head there - large business but doesn't want to spend much money. Am going to have to approach the management team & advise the bad news with what they are wanting.

Will tell them to just reinstall Windows on the machine that is playing up as a bandaid solution & then advise a budget required to go to full IP setup. We have ample hardware to build decent machines for the job.

Am new to this stuff so I'm sure will have some more questions shortly.

Thanks again!!

Got it sorted. Going to build new i7/Xeon machine to incorporate the HICAP200 with 16 analog cameras & also get a 16 port video server to convert the remaining analog cameras to IP. This will give headroom to add another 12 IP cameras.

This will be running on LuxRiot Enterprise. Let you know how it goes!