jxk716

Shutter Speed on the VBM 24VF

As some of you know I have a bunch of the CNB VBM 24VFs installed around the building. I have a DVR that records 240 FPS for 16 cams. I do not know the brand or other specifics but I can post the numbers from the Spec sheet if needed.

My main question involves the camera's shutter speed. In the attached photo from the cam you will see a police officer ready to chase a homeless person from sleeping in that location. Notice how the officer and lettering on his car are blurred. Still images that close to the camera are usually not that blurred day or night. I see there are selectable options for shutter speed: 1/60, 1/120, 1/250, 1/500, 1/700, 1/1k, 1/1600 and up to 1/120k. I left it at default 1/60

Should I make adjustments?

Cop.jpg.6f45d5261a4006a1ab2359d81c28a6ce.jpg

Some motion blurring at 1/60 is not unusual. The higher the shutter speed, the less blurring you'll get... however, you also collect less light, and thus get a darker and/or grainier picture. 1/120 will allow half the light of 1/60... 1/250 one-quarter of 1/60, and so on.

yeah take it off CIF mode

here is a VBM-24VF factory defaults except sharpness to max and DN switch to high.

its pitch dark underneath so dont expect to see anything there anyway.

captured over the network viewer for a netpromax DVR.

vbm24vf.jpg

^ you think i going back to that nasty job site aye .. they ran the wire right over a large basin full of radiator fluid, thats where they clean the radiators and rod them out ... and for just the initial $50 to install the camera anyway, and I had to buy a new pair of shoes, and I havent got paid for it yet!

actually now to think about it, that thing should be switching to BW .. I have the DN switch to high ..

darnit .. more work for free but hey there is nothing but grease and radiator fluid on the ground to steal at night anyway and its surrounded in razor wire .. daytime is all he really cares about there I think. Wonder if we can use external switches or photocells to trigger it to switch to BW?

I put 2 more up at the clients other radiator shop but its in the back of the yard and soon as it turns dark, its total blackout, pitch dark, I was installing them in the evenings and ended up like tonight having to use a flash light as it got dark too quick .. gotta go back tomorrow and check it out. Those are only to watch the staff in the daytime.

Rory, I'm confused. Did you mean for me to take it off CIF? If so here are my 3 options for each cam. Looks like the frame rate will slow down.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.a78e58fcfb03729d82df01145d01e608.jpg

Frame rate vs. size is the tradeoff you usually have to make with cheaper DVRs. Fortunately, you very rarely actually NEED full framerates - most people, in most cases, would never be able to see the difference between 30 and 15 fps, and most would also find 7.5fps looks "just fine". Remember, you're not making movies here, so except for a few specific cases, you generally don't need full-motion video.

Rory, I'm confused. Did you mean for me to take it off CIF? If so here are my 3 options for each cam. Looks like the frame rate will slow down.

Actually your image is probably bad due to capture over the network and the DVR being used.

But yeah I would max the quality out if it were me, and just loose some frames, at least on high priority cameras.

I played around with it today on this cam. I took these directly from the DVR: before shot is CIF 15 FPS and after is 4CIF 3 FPS. Is this something you would do?

After.jpg.d45b964b1d19f6040293e91300f47f08.jpg

Before.jpg.9e40ba68cdf6a92b6b9d3e4610e60ae4.jpg

The CIF one is obviously blown up so wont look as good anyway, but the quality just seems off, like its way too compressed, looks like its been streamed over the internet. What DVR is it? Ive seen this with a Nubix from Eclipse, it has a compression level setting per camera, by default it is way too compressed and poor quality, no matter what camera is connected to it, but it can be adjusted.

What DVR is it? Ive seen this with a Nubix from Eclipse, it has a compression level setting per camera, by default it is way too compressed and poor quality, no matter what camera is connected to it, but it can be adjusted.

I have been wondering what DVR this is for a long time. All I have is this Spec Sheet (it has 2 TB instead of 1). If you can make heads or tails out of what kind it is more power to ya. All I know is it was shipped to the installer who has his company's name on the DVR software when you boot it up. I was never really confident in the type of DVR but cops love it since it gives them what they need in this neighborhood to make arrests.

Since I am perfectionist your question/statement, Rory, has me interested. Do you see any room for adjustments on the DVR? I can take pictures of the darn thing if needed but I don't have much to go on.

Those Model Numbers are: 16 DVR 4B84188-221 (I think) - very hard to read

387775274_ScreenHunter_04Sep_0815_54.gif.a6cc3918210b03ff6d08e13baa5d298a.gif

yeah screen shot of the DVR software if possible, and a picture of the DVR will also help.

If its Windows XP you can just use Prt Scrn key on the keyboard, open up Paint, and then paste and save it.