Sparro

Private or Public Static IP

Hi, I am upgrading my IP address from Dynamic to Static.

My service provider wants to know if I want a Private Static IP address or

a Public Static IP address.

What do I need? They are both the same cost to me. I'm not sure what the difference is and I want to choose the one that will work the best for me.

I have the Geovision GV-900 that I've been using dynamically through dipmap, but now I wanna view my cameras over the internet through the static IP.

Thanks.

Yes, I want to view it through the internet. So public IP is the way to go. Thanks.

Do I have any other options to view my cameras when I'm away from my business through an internet connection that might work better?

You don't NEED a static IP... you can use a dynamic-DNS service (there are many free ones) that will register a domain name that points to your IP, and if your IP changes, it updates the pointer automatically.

The potential downside to this is that the changes can take time to propagate, anywhere from an hour to a day, so if it does change, you may not be able to connect temporarily. If the IP changes infrequently, this is not a problem (my cable IP is technically dynamic, but it only changes if they make significant changes to their network, maybe once every 18-24 months); some ISPs, I've seen the IP change daily or even hourly.

All a static IP does is ensure that your IP won't NORMALLY change.... note that with most broadband systems, this doesn't GUARANTEE that it won't. Our main DSL ISP here recently restructured their network, and I had calls from several of our clients who had "static" IPs who could no longer connect to their systems remotely.

Also I have found when you have a dynamic IP address ISPs block ports and limit bandwidth. When customers get a static IP they don't have these restrictions.

Probably has as much to do with static IPs being more a "business" option, vs. "residential".

Also I have found when you have a dynamic IP address ISPs block ports and limit bandwidth. When customers get a static IP they don't have these restrictions.

Probably has as much to do with static IPs being more a "business" option, vs. "residential".

Yup

My original connection was DSL with dynamic IP. I would run the DDNS server that comes with Geovison on my Geovision computer. Then in my router I had to setup DynDNS that pointed to http://mysite.dipmap.com.

The problem was that my business is in a rural area and the DSL service was out more times than it was on.

So now I upgraded to a TurboHub from my mobile provider. It runs on the 3G HSPA+ service. The speed is actually very good and the service is solid and stays up. The Ericsson W35 TuboHub/Router does not support DynDNS so i can't set my http://mysite.dipmap.com user name and login information... which means i can't view my camera over the internet on my Dynamic IP address.

So, my mobile service provider told me that I can get a Static IP address for an extra $10.00 and not have to worry about my Dynamic problems and setting up DynDNS in the router.

If anyone has a different way that I can do this using my current Dynamic IP and saving the $10.00 extra per month, I am all ears and appreciate any help you guys have to offer.

Edited by Guest

I deal with alot of home users and all they use are DDNS such as DynDns.com and that is set in the Linksys router. Its gone down once recently for a couple days, but the occasional downtime is accepted by most to save that extra $$ every month. Down here you cant get a static IP with the standard $36 a month cable internet, have to upgrade to the pro version which is like $70 a month. As for DSL that is next to useless here for Remote Video, 128k upload speeds if lucky, short of spending $490 a month for similar speeds to the $36 a month Cable internet.

My original connection was DSL with dynamic IP. I would run the DDNS server that comes with Geovison on my Geovision computer. Then in my router I had to setup DynDNS that pointed to http://mysite.dipmap.com.

Stick with the Dynamic IP and save the $10.00. We've been running customers with Geo's dipmap addresses for years without problems.

The one problem I notice is the use of your router's DDNS. There is no need to set up a DynDNS account in your router. Geo's DNS Client takes care of that function. As a matter of fact you may have a conflict with the updating if both are running so disable it. Open your Geo DNS Client and , press the Save button and ensure you have the checked "Run at Startup" then minimize it.

Only issues we've had is that some ISP's block port 80 and we've had to reconfigure the system to 81 or whatever.

Edited by Guest

Yeah, in addition to GV having built-in DDNS support, pretty much all DDNS services have some sort of client utility, or a way to set it via a web browser (simple command line, Javascript, or Perl), or you can use a third-party utility like DynSite (I really like this one, it supports a ton of different DDNS providers, and has exportable/importable settings so I can easily import my settings on different sites). These methods will all work with any computer behind the router, so it could run on a desktop, laptop, the DVR itself, etc.

Stick with the Dynamic IP and save the $10.00. We've been running customers with Geo's dipmap addresses for years without problems.

The one problem I notice is the use of your router's DDNS. There is no need to set up a DynDNS account in your router. Geo's DNS Client takes care of that function. As a matter of fact you may have a confilt with the updating if both are running so disable it. Open your Geo DNS Client and , press the Save button and ensure you have the checked "Run at Startup" then minimize it.

Only issues we've had is that some ISP's block port 80 and we've had to reconfigure the system to 81 or whatever.

When I had my DSL service, it would only work if the DDNS client that came with geovision was running PLUS I had to enable DynDNS in my router and set my account name, password and dipmap domain. If both were not set i couldn't log in. IE would just display cannot connect to web page.

Right now with my Ericsson W35 TurboHub/Router using the 3G+ HSPA connection I only have the DDNS client running on my geovsion computer. DynDNS is not supported in the TurboHub so thats not enabled or running. When I try to remote view my cameras over the internet via the dipmap address it won't display the page.

All ports are open and forwarded just like before as well.

What else can I try to get this working?

Does it work if you just use the IP of your connection? Try going to http://www.ipchicken.com to find it...

No it does not. That should give me my current Dynamic IP correct?

When I type that IP address in my address bar it gives me a page cannot be loaded screen.

Is there an entry in Geovision that I have to input that IP address somewhere so it knows to accept it? I've tryed adding it to the white list in the web server but still nothing.

Also, I still haven't cancelled my DSL Service. Provided by Bell. The dipmap site works cause DSL modem/router supports DynDNS and the login information is still set in it.

But when i try to input the the IP address given by ipchicken it does not display the page.

So there must be something i need to set in geovision that tells it to accept incoming requests from the ip address I would think?

At first i though it might have something to do with the 3G+ HSPA service provided by Bell Mobility but it won't let me access it through the DSL right now too?

There is nothing special that has to be set up in Geovision unless you change port assignments.

Couple of basic questions though. Did you assign a static LAN IP to the Geo server and forward all the necessary ports to it (80,4550,5550,5552,5066) thru the router? Is the Geovision WebServer running on port 80? Have you tried another http port other than 80 (remember to make changes in the router and Geo network connections)? Is the DNS Client "Updated Successfully"?

Yes to all your questions. I have not tried another port other than 80. It is working on port 80 for my DSL connection. Only using dipmap. If i try to go in through the ip address assigned i get page cannot be displayed.

It does not work at all on my HSPA connection. Do you think port 80 might be blocked on that connection?

I can try to change it to port 81 when i go into work later.

It does not work at all on my HSPA connection. Do you think port 80 might be blocked on that connection?

It's a good possibility that your ISP would be blocking port 80 on a 3G network. They wouldn't want a bunch of servers taking up their bandwith on standard service. It couldn't hurt to try another http port.

It's a good possibility that your ISP would be blocking port 80 on a 3G network. They wouldn't want a bunch of servers taking up their bandwith on standard service. It couldn't hurt to try another http port.

Damnit... no workie.

I changed port 80 to 81 in the web server. Then I went into the router (Ericsson W35) and opened port 81 and forwarded that to the static ip of the geovision computer.

I tried to login from home and i it won't connect.

Could it be the 3G+ HSPA connection? Does that type of internet work with geovision? The ISP said it does, but I don't always believe what they say.

I don't know what else to do or try???

make sure the port is also added in the Windows Firewall if that is enabled.

I have all firewalls disabled.

Are you guys saying that Geovosion has a built in DDNS function? Where is that option in the software?

Geovision provides a free DDNS service to their customers. If the DDNS client wasn't initially loaded and available under Windows, All Programs, DDNS, it can be found on your Geo DVD in the main software section. Install DDNS (not Local DDNS )and then run it. Type in a user name and password, check Run at Startup then press Save. Scroll down and click on Register. Type in a user name (this will will be your dipmap name) and password. Just use the ones entered previously. Type in their security code then click on Send. You should receive a popup that says the name was registered successfully and will be available in 10 minutes or that is in use by someone else. I usually close the popup and the DDNS box and restart the computer to ensure the client does start up and give the sevice a chance to complete registration.

When the computer restarts, minimize the Geo software. On the lower right windows screen, make sure you have an icon for DDNS Client. Click on it to maximize and make sure you have the message XXXXX.dipmap.com Updated Successfully. If so, you're good to go. MINIMIZE the DDNS client so it's always running. The program will track a changing dynamic IP address and allow you to type in your dipmap address from anywhere on the web.

I think I know what my problem is. I believe I have a Private IP address and it needs to be a Public IP address.

When I check my IP address in my router under internet connetion it comes up as 10.167.X.XXX

When I check my IP addrss in ipchicken it comes up as 204.101.XXX.XXX

I read through some forums somewhere saying if those IP's don't match, then you have a Private IP address.

I think I need to call Bell Mobility in the morning and have them issue me a Public IP address, Static or Dynamic... makes no difference, just needs to be Public.

Does my logic sound correct?