programmergeek

Need some IR, Light

I am using VCM-24VF cameras and in some locations 2 indoor and one outdoor I need some added illumation. Should i switch to a IR camera? If so which one. Or should I jut get a seprate IR illumitor?

I would definitely keep the VCM-24VF's! They are great true day-night cameras.

I would first suggest you put up a floodlight or two.

If that doesn't sound good to you, just stick up some IR illumination. The cameras you are using will take to it nicely.

Hard to say which is better, floodlights or IR, but in general, I prefer the idea of motion-activated floodlights: they'll not only give you a far better picture of what they light up, but if it's for outdoor and you're trying to catch intruders, a bright light snapping on their face is more likely to both make them look up (simple instinctive reaction), which will help get a better shot of their face(s), and will usually scare them off too.

In most cases, if it's too dark for these cameras to make out a good shot, it's probably too dark for someone to creep through safely either.

I'm not sure I like where what CNB's doing with that LDM-24VF...

Looks to me like it's a VCM-24VF with 20 IR LEDs built in. If used outside, it may attract bugs which obstructs view and requires more cleaning (darn spider webs...). Plus, 20 LEDS won't make much of a difference past 10-15 feet (in my experience at least).

There "Intelligent IR" technology looks promising though...

I guess I should wait until there are some videos comparing the VCM-24VF and the LDM-24VF.

I used one of the CNB True Day Night Vandal IR domes the other day, not impressed. It is the older model though. I would keep the 24VF and add external IR, it works great like that, also a nice wide angle, wider than the IR domes will have, though you would have to flood it with IR to match the FOV.

Here is a VBM-24Vf with separate Infrared, in this case its an old Extreme CCTV EX26LED, I think thats 60 degree IR beam, see it in the snapshot below in black at the left.

cbn24vfwithseperateir.jpg.5c742bbbaeb8c49bf0108f8b68e02d7d.jpg

Unless you have some need for the stealth of IR illuminators (in my case, my Homeowners association doesn't like large floodlights), you're almost always better off with visible light.

Just get motion-activated visible-spectrum floods... you'll also save a TON of money compared to decent IR illuminators.

I have a separate cheap IR in the back yard with the VBM; it is dark back there. The image is impressive. For the VBM looking at the cars in a parking lot (some street lights available) the motion flood is perfect; more so than when I experimented with the IR. It seems one would not need a strong flood or spot with the VBMs; I have a 65 Watt flood and it is plenty for the 30-35 feet view I need. Of course, individual needs vary.

I'm not sure I like where what CNB's doing with that LDM-24VF...

Looks to me like it's a VCM-24VF with 20 IR LEDs built in.

Yes, the LDM-24VF seems a VCM-24VF with added ir.

The only other difference I've found comparing the specs, are the lens type:

f=3.8~9.5mm for the LDM-24VF

f=2.8~10.5mm for the VCM-24VF

Any idea on prices ?

If there is a marginal difference in price, can be convenient the LDM-24VF where you can disable ir if not needed.

Bye