mesurveillance

How to choose DVR

These are most basic info u need to check for choosing DVR:

1. What compression used?

H.264, Mpeg4, Mjpeg

2. Record Resolution:

D1, half D1, Cif

3. is it Real time recording or not.

4, does it has full audio, alarm, PTZ, VGA output, network interface.

5, what chip solution used.

One of the main things I look at these days is how it works over the internet. Many stand alone DVRs for example are slow and dont have the option to change the codecs or lower the quality for slower connections, also many stand alone DVRs dont have separate streams for the network and it depends on the local DVR settings. I also look for D1 recording on ALL channels but really on budget 4 channel DVRs thats next to impossible to find these days. The speed of the local recording is not quite as important to me, however the playback must be functional and have good evidence sharing, another thing lacking in most stand alone DVRs.

In addition to what has already been mentioned, here are some of my considerations when choosing a DVR. I'm looking for certain types of functionality. This all comes from experience in working with DVR's that have, or don't have, certain features.

1 – Can the system capture/overlay receipt text from the POS (point of sale) system? Can data be captured from more than one POS system? Is this feature built in or does it require a separate unit, like the AVE VSI-PRO? Is text capture/overlay searchable?

2 - Can multiple cameras be played back at the same time & in synch with one another? For instance, a store was burglarized early Tuesday morning (1:36 AM). With the system installed in that store I was able to playback video from multiple cameras at the same time starting from a very specific time - 01:26:47AM. In this case I needed 3 out of the 6 cameras. I was also able to download video from the 3 cameras during a specific timeframe (01:26:47AM to 01:29:34AM) into a single file and playback all 3 video streams simultaneously on a different computer. While viewing all 3 video streams I'm also able to switch to single view of any particular stream.

3 - How many audio channels are there? Some DVR’s have one audio channel that is associated with just one camera, others have multiple audio channels that can be associated with each camera independently.

4 - During playback (via the network or Internet) are there FF & REW functions? One particular client has a DVR that only has FF during playback. With this system the video needs to be downloaded and played back in a separate player in order to have the REW function. Also, with some systems the recorded file format cannot be converted to other formats, like AVI. I have another system that loses all OSD info (date, time, channel name) when converted to AVI.

5 - How do the FF & REW functions work? For instance, on some DVR’s when using FF or REW the video looks similar similar to VHS tape. On others it will jump several seconds at a time (first frame at the 15 second mark, next frame at the 20 second mark, etc.) which can make viewing difficult.

6 - What are there different record quality settings? Can different quality settings be configured for each camera independently?

7 - Can multiple locations be viewed at the same time, both live and playback? Let’s say I have 4 stores and I want to watch the register (w/ text capture) at all 4 locations simultaneously. Or maybe I want to view 2 cameras from each location simultaneously. Can that be accomplished with the DVR software?

8 - Can several usernames/passwords be configured in the DVR with different access rights associated with each username? How many users can logon at the same time?

9 - What is the maximum size hard drive the DVR supports? Does it support multiple hard drives? Can hard drives be installed by the end user or does that void the warranty?

10 - Can video be saved to a USB storage device directly from the DVR?

11 - Can all administrative functions be controlled remotely, or do some functions need physical access to the DVR?

so is the consensus that you would prefer to have D1 with a lower frame rate as opposed to a CIF DVR with 30 FPS.

That is if you had to choose?

so is the consensus that you would prefer to have D1 with a lower frame rate as opposed to a CIF DVR with 30 FPS.

That is if you had to choose?

That would be my choice. There's little you can capture at 30fps that can't be just as effectively captured at 7.5-10fps. There are exceptions of course, but they're few.

only place i have used cif, when using a DVR that gives you the choice of CIF or VGA or D1, is in a tiny office inside a building surrounded by rooms with other cameras, or a staff kitchen . etc. small areas and not high priority. In most other cases its always at least VGA, or D1 if they have a large HDD.

Currently in the market, TI, Philip solution are bit expensive...while HI and GM are more economy, while from my point of view..for home, office, industry application, last two are fairly enough...you can see most of DIY kits show in mega store are used these solution...full function..like network view with good quality..as currently use H.264 compression, which occupy small Bandwidth..so digital data can be transfer smoothly...same like network, support mobile phone instant view...email alert.etc...currently i carry different solution dvr...above comments just for your reference..if u interested for info..pls feel free to let me know.

Yeah but most of us wont be checking the manufacturers website to see what chip they use, if they even provide that info, which most dont. If we wanted to know the chip then we would also want to know which OS or RTOS they use, and which CPU they have.

Currently in the market, TI, Philip solution are bit expensive...while HI and GM are more economy, while from my point of view..for home, office, industry application, last two are fairly enough...you can see most of DIY kits show in mega store are used these solution...full function..like network view with good quality..as currently use H.264 compression, which occupy small Bandwidth..so digital data can be transfer smoothly...same like network, support mobile phone instant view...email alert.etc...currently i carry different solution dvr...above comments just for your reference..if u interested for info..pls feel free to let me know.

Hmmm, is this a thinly disguised advertisement for your company?

Hmmm, is this a thinly disguised advertisement for your company?

hey...don't be so sensitive...this is cctvforum...just share what i know...if U have sth..just shoot out...