koolmer

IR cut filter stuck. Can I fix this?

Hi everybody,

Since a few days one of my GE CyberDomes (26x) is broken. The IR cut filter goes stuck from time to time and I get a blurry B/W image in the day. If I push the button to switch between B/W & color, it will work sometimes.

My warranty has run out, but I still want to fix it. Has anybody here done that? What would usually be broken? Could it be just dust or dirt?

koolmer

ive done it on a sanyo day night box camera before, you basically have to open up the camera to get to it. In my case it got stuck from switching too much the first night I installed it.

ive done it on a sanyo day night box camera before, you basically have to open up the camera to get to it. In my case it got stuck from switching too much the first night I installed it.

But mine works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Any idea why that would be? How does it look like inside?

I guess the actual filter is a thin foil or piece of plasic or glass. It probably has some kind of frame around it and it must be switching to the side. How is that achieved? With an electric magnet?

Edit: It seems to be falling out of place sometimes. I switch to color, the camera goes into color mode and a few seconds later the picture gets monochrome and blury. When I switch back to real monochrome the picture is very clear, but of course monochrome. Why is that? Why is the picture blury when the filter "falls" out of place, but clear when I switch to mono manually? Does the camera adjust the focus differently when in mono mode?

the auto focus is maybe compensating for a small % as it may not have an Infrared Lens. When it is blurry can you manually focus it properly? Also without an IR Cut filter during the day it can be blurry especially on the edges of bushes, leaves, trees etc. I just had this problem with 3 brand new bullet cameras .. in my case though the IR Cut filter does not work at all, or is non existent, trying to verify with the manufacturer now as their site claims it has one.

You will probably need to just take the camera down, thats the zoom camera module, then open it up and check the area where the IR Cut filter is. It normally will just slide back and forth over the chip, right before the lens. It could be a piece that is bent a little and just needs to be bent back so it doesnt get caught as it slides, thats what I had to do before. It might be friction from the PT function causing it to do it sometimes and not always, or even just friction from the wind or something else.

I've seen this happen with an IQ753... the filter stuck halfway across the frame, so we had proper color on one side of the frame, and false color on the other, with a fuzzy line across the middle: the filter's frame was just wide enough to "blur" across the picture.

I've seen this happen with an IQ753... the filter stuck halfway across the frame, so we had proper color on one side of the frame, and false color on the other, with a fuzzy line across the middle: the filter's frame was just wide enough to "blur" across the picture.

Thats interesting. Did you manage to fix it or did you just send it back? I would send it back if my warranty hadn't ran out. On the other hand I think it is interesting to open up this camera and see if I can fix the issue.

Isn't it like 1 AM in Canada now?!