capnbooboo

so how does one connect their DVR to a network router?

I was thinking about that on the way home, but I figure one of the 3 ports that I had listed would not be blocked. I have att/yahoo dsl and I couldnt find anything on the web that these ports were blocked. I will have to give them a call to find out though.

Also, I turned off all of my firewalls in that network

Also, just for the heck. I set the default DMZ server to 10.0.0.200 because after reading a previous post on this thread, I was under the assumption that this would allow the DVR to be accessed even without port forwarding. This did not work either.

DSL is assigning you an outside IP everytime right?

Try setup the router for remote access and try to connect to that router and its port.

Also, try a static IP within the DHCP range for the DVR and see if that matters.

I'd have to agree, blocked ports looks like the Most likely culprit - can you either remap ports on your router or change the ports on the DVR? I know many routers don't support port mapping and many DVR's don't allow you to change incoming ports so you may be stuck without changing ISP or paying to get the ports allowed (If that's possible).

I would be most interested to learn the eventual outcome

DSL is assigning you an outside IP everytime right?

Try setup the router for remote access and try to connect to that router and its port.

My DSL uses a Dynamic IP if thats what you mean. It changes throughout the day but it will usually stay the same for a matter of hours which gives me enough time to test it.

And yes I did set up my router for remote access and I can access it just fine. It uses port 8080. I can access that fine from a remote location. I tried using this 8080 for my HTTP port in my DVR and didnt get any success.

Also, try a static IP within the DHCP range for the DVR and see if that matters.

Isnt the static ip I am using 1.0.0.200 within my DHCP range?

I know many routers don't support port mapping and many DVR's don't allow you to change incoming ports so you may be stuck without changing ISP or paying to get the ports allowed (If that's possible).

I would be most interested to learn the eventual outcome

My DVR allows me to change the ports to whatever I like. Regarding port mapping on my router, I am not sure. I dont think my router allows this unless you seen it somewhere within the pictures above.

Also verify what protocol type you made it, TCP or UDP or both, if both try switch it to TCP only.

I tried it both ways, with just TCP only and tried it with TCP/UDP

And that local IP seems different from the router's default? Seems almost like a DSL internal network IP.

Which one are you talking about? The 1.0.0.200? That is the one that you told me to try that worked when I tried it locally. Or are you talking about the 1.0.0.1? If you are talking about that, you can see that is my local IP address in one of the first pictures I posted.

I am sure this has something to do with my ISP but its really bugging the tar out of me that I cant figure this out. This will make me lose sleep until I get it figured out.

Yeah 10.0.0.1 .. the default in the manual is 192.168. something ..

maybe a DSL tech changed it then. Anyway if its working locally then should be good.

They probably filter all ports going in then, I tried to access the router but didnt connect, unless it is powered off?

1-try a different router like a Linksys.

2-Change ISPs -had to through it out there

DSL down here wont work for remote video, unless one buys the $490 a month package then it has more than 64-128k upload. So basically switched plenty clients over the years, least the ones that dont mind paying for Cable which is still $150 a month for a business,$50 more than the DSL - but they all get Static IPs.

That said, as a business dont you have a free static IP?

Yeah the IP changed again so thats probably why you couldnt access the router. I just accessed it just fine.

At my location DSL is the fastest internet we get. Its really the only alternative at my location and its pretty fast in my neck of the woods. When I signed up I signed up for the biggest package, at the time I had no need for a static IP, much less, I didnt even know what a static IP was back then.

At this point, I think its a ISP problem so I really wont be able to get down to the issue until I call them but I think the phone call will be one of those where you have to explain what you are trying to do over and over and the rep on the other side has no idea what you are talking about.

Whats wierd is that I can access my router's admin page from a remote location using port 8080, but when I try to use that port for my DVR, it wont work, whats up with that. Shouldn't that work?

If you can access port 8080 then change the DVR port to another port other than 80 - try a number you can remember easily like the last few digits from your phone number.

change your port forwarding to reflect that port.

go home and use your IP chicken obtained IP to access the DVR by adding on the port like this

http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:1234 where 1234 is your chosen port and the X's are your IP.

this will tell your browser to access your DVR via HTTP via the chosen port.

if your ISP is blocking the HTTP port (80) then it is likely that they will only block a few key ports and your randomly chosen one will be accessible.

If you can access port 8080 then change the DVR port to another port other than 80 - try a number you can remember easily like the last few digits from your phone number.

go home and use your IP chicken obtained IP to access the DVR by adding on the port like this

http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:1234 where 1234 is your chosen port and the X's are your IP.

if your ISP is blocking the HTTP port (80) then it is likely that they will only block a few key ports and your randomly chosen one will be accessible.

bingo

Thats true if he has only tried using it through the browser or tested the HTTP port.

since he mentioned it was several DVRs in the beginning ..

Just realized they were the ports for the same DVR .. silly me.

Anyway if they are blocking port 80 then he should be able to still use the desktop software to connect as 5550 is the port for that, although that was not connecting either when I tried using telnet.

And as mentioned change the http port from 80 to something else like 81,82,83,8081,8082,8083 etc. anyway.

Thanks for the great info. I will give that a shot today if my wife lets me get away to the office. I have tested several DVR's over the past few months but this is the first one that I tried to network over the internet. The good thing about this atrocious experience is that I have learned tons.

Thanks for the great info. I will give that a shot today if my wife lets me get away to the office. I have tested several DVR's over the past few months but this is the first one that I tried to network over the internet. The good thing about this atrocious experience is that I have learned tons.

throw Ultra VNC on a PC there so you dont have to keep running back and forth ..

Well I got Logmein but for some reason I cant log into work from my home but I can log in from any other location just fine like from Panera bread or Starbucks. I think it may have something to do with my slow hughes net satellite internet connection at my house, my house is out in the boonies and I can choose between that or dial-up. I may try the Ultra VNC to see if I have better luck.

Yeah with Ultra VNC I connect to really slow connections also, i turn down the colors on the viewer to make it easier to deal with.

Boom Shocka Locka! I got it figured out and it was something really simple yet odd.

This whole time I was using my own assigned IP for the DVR of 10.0.0.200 and even though this was within the DHCP pool, anytime I forwarded a Port to that IP, the port would be blocked or put in "stealth mode"

So I just went into the DVR and used the DHCP tool that the DVR had and it picked an IP for me of 10.0.0.5, I forwarded the ports to this IP and it worked fine.

Why? I dont know exactly but I am glad it works. It seems it should still work with the IP of 10.0.0.200 but anytime I could not get any ports to work with this.

I did learn tons in this process so I consider it a valuable experience. I did find a pretty cool tool along the way that will check all of your 1,056 to determine the status of them, it is:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

There is actually several good information at that site and I recommend it to anyone.

Thanks to everyone that helped.

Excellent news!

Just one tip - make sure your router will realise the DVR's changed IP address if it is rebooted and gets a new IP address from the router or it may be port forwarding to the wrong address.

Some are smart enough to make the change automatically, some are not.

Sometimes the DVR will have a long enough lease on the IP so that the same IP will be allocated if it isn't powered down for too long.

Cheers,

Wayne

Yeah that sounds like 200 is outside the routers DHCP range which is normally 50 (100-150). Thats why i was saying try it within the range but up high near the end, Soundy has mentioned before he has come across routers that wont let you forward outside of the DHCP range, guess that is one of them.

I thought it was outside the range too but the router actually gives me the specific range and it went up to 255 for the last 3 digits. Thats why I thought it was odd. Oh well. From now on, I will just let the DVR assign the IP. Now I got to get the router figured for a dyndns but I dont think that will be difficult at all.

Sorry not range, I meant the total DHCP users.

I always use a static IP in the DVRs by the way.