capnbooboo

so how does one connect their DVR to a network router?

Hi

So i got a dvr/dvs, has Ethernet, supports internet with iPhone etc, uses Crossed Ethernet cables between been connected to the computer directly or to the router.

my question is if he dvr will connect to the net automatically to the net if its directly connected to a router via Ethernet or do i have to fill in the login credentials to the router as i do with wifi, wepkey etc

Hi

So i got a dvr/dvs, has Ethernet, supports internet with iPhone etc, uses Crossed Ethernet cables between been connected to the computer directly or to the router.

my question is if he dvr will connect to the net automatically to the net if its directly connected to a router via Ethernet or do i have to fill in the login credentials to the router as i do with wifi, wepkey etc

Connect the dvr to the router vis a cat 5/6

Ensure you set up a route in the router with the dvr's ip and port number, also ensure the dvr has the matching ip and port number

Hi

WEP/WPA are wireless encryption systems; no key is required for a direct wired connection (and BTW, WPA is preferable to WEP; it's substantially more secure).

You should use a straight-through ethernet cable to connect to a router; unless the router and/or DVR has auto-MDI/X ports, a crossover cable won't work.

Although touted as being simple it can cause a few headaches for those with no networking experience.

First, check the network settings on your DVR to ensure that it is not set to obtain an address vie DHCP (it is just easier to use a static address when completing the later steps)

Give the DVR an IP address. To know what address to set, check your "Gateway" setting on your PC - if it is say 192.168.1.1 then use 192.168.1.100, if it is 10.0.0.1 then use 10.0.0.100 ect.

the subnet is usually 255.255.255.0 and the gateway is the same as the address you checked on your PC (probably 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1)

You need to consult your DVR manual networking section to work out what ports you need to forward on your router - it will include port 80 and maybe others. keep those port numbers close at hand.

Get your router manual and read up on the port forwarding section and just follow the instructions.

If you dont have a manual, google the phrase "how to set up port forwarding on a (insert router model here)"

When you are all done, go to your PC and type the IP address of the DVR into the address bar of your browser and you should get the login screen of your DVR.

When you want to access the DVR from outside your network, say from somone elses house then you need to type in the IP address of your internet connection which will be findable in your router somewhere - it will probably be listed as your "WAN IP" or your "INTERNET ADDRESS".

Hope this helps

Wayne

First, check the network settings on your DVR to ensure that it is not set to obtain an address vie DHCP (it is just easier to use a static address when completing the later steps)

This can be tricky - I've come across routers that will not let you port forward to addresses that are outside its DHCP range (won't let you set them as DMZ, either).

A better method is to use a router that supports its own reserved or static IPs (this would be an option on the "LAN" side, not to be confused with similar options in the "WAN" setup), allowing the DVR to pull an address from the router's DHCP server, then setting that IP as "reserved" for the DVR.

Give the DVR an IP address. To know what address to set, check your "Gateway" setting on your PC - if it is say 192.168.1.1 then use 192.168.1.100, if it is 10.0.0.1 then use 10.0.0.100 ect.

Again, potentially troublesome, as MANY routers will start their own DHCP pool at *.100. If you're going to hard-code your own IP address, you should ensure it's something outside the DHCP pool, so as to avoid conflicts.

Of course, this can lead to the issue noted above... personally, any router I come across that DOESN'T support reserved IPs goes straight in the bit-bucket.

When you want to access the DVR from outside your network, say from somone elses house then you need to type in the IP address of your internet connection which will be findable in your router somewhere - it will probably be listed as your "WAN IP" or your "INTERNET ADDRESS".

Or just point your browser at any of a number of sites on the web that will tell you your "outside" IP... personally, I like www.ipchicken.com (it's just easy to remember )

so lets say its 192.0.0.10 and now i connect it with a brand new Ethernet ADSL (not crossed) cable, how do i access a hikvision dvr from there?

I am assuming i can use my iphone, blackberry or web browser some how via my local network.

Hi

in addition to what has already been mentioned, tons of info here also:

viewforum.php?f=12

so lets say its 192.0.0.10 and now i connect it with a brand new Ethernet ADSL (not crossed) cable, how do i access a hikvision dvr from there?

I am assuming i can use my iphone, blackberry or web browser some how via my local network.

If it is all set up correctly then it should just be a matter of putting 192.0.0.10 into your web browser address bar and hitting enter.

If it is all set up correctly then it should just be a matter of putting 192.0.0.10 into your web browser address bar and hitting enter.

hey thanks, i was able to see it on my iphone via the local network settings 192 etc

but how do i see it from the internet outside my network?

do i just type my ip address:8000 or whatever port?

As mentioned by soundy, just go to www.ipchicken.com, it will tell you your external IP address and then put that into your web browser.

It will only work if you have set up the port forwarding in your router - when your request comes in from the internet to your router, the router needs to know which machine to forward the request so you need to tell it (via port forwarding settings) which address the DVR is on.

This is ONLY from outside your network - you need to use the 192 address if you are within your network and from within the network port forwarding is not required

Wayne.

As mentioned by soundy, just go to http://www.ipchicken.com, it will tell you your external IP address and then put that into your web browser.

It will only work if you have set up the port forwarding in your router - when your request comes in from the internet to your router, the router needs to know which machine to forward the request so you need to tell it (via port forwarding settings) which address the DVR is on.

This is ONLY from outside your network - you need to use the 192 address if you are within your network and from within the network port forwarding is not required

Wayne.

i got the local network working, its the net i am lost with,

local IP

So far i got the local IP set up on the DVR, the DVR connected to the router and a IP created for the DVR which shows up successfully according to my routers page

BUT

I while i can access it on my local network with my iPhone it fails with my computer using a browser, we use iMacs here so maybe that is why.

Using the net:

As for the net i did what you suggested, i got the IP address from that site, tried logging in via GSM as if i was outside but that failed

Now assuming its a port forwarding issue what port number is it i use, before it showed a number like 80 or 8000, would that be the port i have to make in my firewall settings?

i got the local network working, its the net i am lost with,

local IP

So far i got the local IP set up on the DVR, the DVR connected to the router and a IP created for the DVR which shows up successfully according to my routers page

BUT

I while i can access it on my local network with my iPhone it fails with my computer using a browser, we use iMacs here so maybe that is why.

Using the net:

As for the net i did what you suggested, i got the IP address from that site, tried logging in via GSM as if i was outside but that failed

Now assuming its a port forwarding issue what port number is it i use, before it showed a number like 80 or 8000, would that be the port i have to make in my firewall settings?

On my DVR there are three ports that have to be forwarded - I am not 100% sure why but I think the second two are to do with the control of the DVR as opposed to just viewing the cameras.

You will need to forward port 80 but I am unsure of which others if any - your DVR manual should tell you this though.

If you have the setting on your router to set the DVR's IP into a "DMZ" then you don't need to forward any ports as all ports will automatically go to the DVR.

On the mac Vs Iphone for browsing I don't know why the Iphone works but the Mac doesn't - I don't have a lot of Mac experience admittedly but I would imagine it's browser would access the DVR the same as any other browser - Maybe somone else can shed a bit more light on that aspect.

Try forwarding port 80 and see what works if anything - you are halfway there!

ok so my problem ends up been port forwarding, i found out the default port number but how to forward a port with my IPS GUI is backwards here, i dont have port numbers, just names to choose from, games, htttp, ftp , ichat aim, msn etc etc

so lets say its port 80 or whatever, i assume some gae uses it and use it assigned to the IP number of the dvr?

Edited by Guest

im lost here,

While i can see the DVR cams on my iphone via wifi i can not log into the same DVR via internet.

So sorry for repeating it over again, just bugles me now because i see 2 IP addresses for the DVR.

-On the Cable ISP's router GUI/site i see the DVR on Ethernet port 1 but the IP is not at all the same IP i gave the DVR and the IP i see in my ARD (Apple Remote Desktop) our local network., in fact it looks like the default IP or the IP i first noticed when i got the unit., i changed the last set of numbers in the Network settings as advised, would this be the problem, am i stuck with a default IP in the local side?

I physically checked to be sure it was the DVR on Ethernet port 1, very strange.

Can you quote what IP each device on your network is using and also have you forwarded any ports yet? - without forwarding ports you definantly wont be able to see your DVR externally.

As I mentioned, if you have the ability to set the DVR IP into a DMZ then it should work without doing anything else but any other services you run on your network such as a webserver will no longer work as all external incoming requests will be forwarded to your DVR.

If your Mac is listing the incorrect address for the DVR maybe try rebooting everything on your network starting with everything off and turning on router then DVR then the PC's in that order.

Overall, until you discover which ports need to be forwarded and get that sorted it just wont work externally.

Wayne

ok i found a work around

i took a IP which the router gave to another computer and turned on DMZ on that devise, then i gave that IP to the DVR, bamm, it showed up on the ETHERNET chain, then i locked the IP and mac address inside the ISPs web GIU for the router, the computer which had the same IP then could not get unto the net, so i went into its advanced settings and renewed the lease (recent IP) as if it never used the network before and when i turned on wifi for the computer it was given a completely new IP as to the one it had now on the DVR and so everything works now.

thanks!

Okay so we've gotten in several DVR's lately and I have yet to try to connect them to the internet. Until today. Yeah, I know, I am a little behind. What I thought was going to be a simple task ended up in a multi hour event. I am about to explode trying to figure this out. I have ATT DSL internet service and I think it has something to do with their ghetto settings.

Here is what I have done so far. (this was yesterday and it was before I knew anything about port forwarding, so I did not set up my router with port forwarding)

1) I got the automatic acquisition of an IP address using DHCP. It gave me 10.0.0.7.

2) If I type that into my browser, I can log into my DVR from work just fine because the DVR is in the same network as my computer is at work.

3) But when I went home and typed in 10.0.0.7, it gives me the dreaded "cannot connect....."

Now, I have set up port forwarding in my router and I have yet to test it from a remote location yet, but I have a feeling that when I get home and type in 10.0.0.7 into my computer, I have a feeling that it still will not connect. 10.0.0.7 does not sound like a unique enough IP to work. I think I am doing something wrong.

So here was my quest on trying to set up a static IP address.

1) I went to IP chicken and found out that my IP was: 71.153.137.95. I also confirmed this in my Routers Admin page. In a matter of fact, for your reference here is my routers status page:

136289_1.jpg

2) So what I did was enter this info into my DVR's Net Settings, again here is a pic of what I did:

136289_2.jpg

3) Next, I added a port forward on my router.

136289_3.jpg

The router would not let me put 10.0.0.1 as the gateway so it automatically put 10.0.0.2. Some may be thinking well, you need to put 10.0.0.2 in your router then (I will get to that in a moment)

4) I now type 71.153.137.95 into my IE browser bar and get the dreaded "could not connect" and let me remind you that this is at my work where the DVR is in the same network as my computer.

5) Next I changed the gateway number in my DVR to 10.0.0.2 and that did not work either.

6) Also, I tried changing the subnet mask in my DVR to 255.255.255.255 and then I save it but the DVR does not seem to save that setting because I go back into the DVR menu and the subnet mask setting reverts back to 255.255.255.0

7) Okay so I am stumped at this point, so I remember that ATT has these ghetto PPoE settings so I go into my DVR menu and enter in my username and password. That still gets me nowhere.

What the heck am I missing? Is their an easier way to do this for gosh sakes. One thing I did notice was when I tried to see if my router needed updates, it said it could not retrieve updates because there was no internet connection. This is not correct because the current computer I am using is directly connected to the router and I am on the internet right now.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Very briefly as I'm writing from my iPhone.

Firstly change back to how you had it when it was working on the local network - dvr IP via DHCP

then set up port forwarding for the ip that the dvr is allocated

then go home and use the ip address that you got from ip chicken to connect to the dvr

process is this - ip from ip chicken into browser at home, this is routed to your router, router port forwards request to dvr and reply is returned same way but in reverse.

Hope this helps - if not I can write up a more detailed explanation on a real keyboard when I get home

Wayne

I will try that, but I will note than whenever I try to enter the IP chicken IP address into my browser here at work, It says "unable to connect" Even when I have it set up with DHCP

Do you think it will be any different when I get home? Its like I cant connect to my router or something??!

I will also note that I just turned off my router and my DSL "thing" and turned them back on again. I went to IP chicken and I now have a new IP address.

I dont know that router so just going by the ones I have used ..

make the DVR this:

IP = 10.0.0.200 (or whatever as long as the last part is more than the number of PCs on the network including any wireless PCs that might connect)

Subnet = 255.255.255.0

Gateway = 10.0.0.1

Then test that IP locally.

Once it works, then port forward the port/s the DVR uses to that IP address.

Next, from outside you can use either the IP assigned by your ISP, but that will change frequently, or setup a DDNS. Some DVRs have their own built in DDNS service, others you will need to setup something like DynDns.com in the router, just sign up for a free account and fill that info into the router - then you connect with that name instead of an IP.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3287

The ip that Ip chicken gives you is used to connect from OUTSIDE your network, the DVR's IP is used when connecting from INSIDE your network.

Hi Rory,

I did as you said and tested it locally and it did work. I then went into my router and added the following port forwards:

136308_1.jpg

I then went to test them with the link you gave and none of them worked. They all said, connection timed out. You can test this to see if you get any login screen if you want to, go to:

Or see if you get any prompt to download anything.

I have literally worked on this and scoured the web all day long and I have no clue what is wrong. I cant seem to get the ports to open. This is beyond frustrating. Do I need to configure anything within here?

136312_1.jpg

Have any of you tested to see of the ports are blocked by your ISP? If you have a Res account every ISP that I have worked with blocks ports and this will be your problem there is nothing you can do besides change the ports you are using to unblocked ports or switch to biz class ISP.