Sign in to follow this  
bigcatbobcat

Backing Up the DVR

Hello, I'm new here and new to the industry. I'm in sales but I've been jumping in on the "IT" side of things more and more on installs as my guys seem to be umm, putting it nicely, cable pullers, camera hangers and dvr installers as opposed to configuring the system. Anyway, I'm using a GE Symsafe Pro 16+2 and another 4 or 8 depending on what we have in stock, going in a really high tech bowling alley. The customer was concerned about possible hard drive failure and wanted to know if it were possible to back up the system. My question is, other than archiving, how do we have redundancy? Would it be like having a server or an external hard drive backing up an entire network and the DVR would be included as an appliance on that network? If he's backing up his POS system, however that side of the server rack is doing it, how am I going to do it? Keep in mind, I'm sales so I say "of course whatever you want sir" most of the time.

Thanks, I look forward to your replies as well as hopefully learning a lot from this forum.

I've never used these before but there data sheets states you can archive to USB 2.0. However, the manual doesn't tell you if you can archive a day or week or whatever. it only states "archive in increments of minutes" which make me believe the answer is no. My guess is when they refer to archive to USB 2.0 they mean burn an incident (burn to DVD or USB)! Check out the manual here - http://www.atechsystems.us/manuals/Symsafe_Pro.pdf