tlavite

Working in CCTV... how?

Hi im pretty new on this forum but i am pretty familiar with CCTV. Im in college going for computer networking. But i love CCTV its a major hobby of mine. I was just wondering how do you get into the CCTV field. such as an installer or a tech. I would love to work in CCTV somewhere. Please let me know how you guys got started.. what things must i do to get my foot in the door. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I just answered an ad on the provincial government job bank. That's probably something of an anomaly, though, as more specialized businesses like this tend to not use those kinds of channels.

You could try using a "professional networking" site like LinkedIn; there are options to post your resume as part of your profile, and there are employment-specific groups for most industries there. Doesn't hurt to spam your resume around on employment sites like monster.com, workopolis.com, or whatever else services your area, either - most are free for job seekers, so there's nothing to lose.

You could also try contacting local CCTV companies directly. Look them up online or get their names/numbers from the stickers on store windows (you know, the "video surveillance by company name" types). Ask them whether they work with IP cameras, or if they plan to - your network training and experience could be particularly useful to them. I came from several years working professionally in IT, and even longer dabbling in computers, when I started in CCTV, and it really gave our company an edge on several of our competitors when we started getting into IP cameras and network-distributed systems.

Some CCTV companies also deal with things like access controls, videoconferencing systems, alarms, and so on... more and more of these are also starting to use IP connectivity so your knowledge could be valuable there as well. Don't be afraid to approach companies that specialize in these other areas and only do a little CCTV, either - you may be just what they need to expand their CCTV business.

I sort of fell into it by applying for a technical job as a PC builder / repair tech, and the company in question actually builds PCDVRs as well.

If you're serious about it then Soundy is right, start networking at sites like LinkedIn. Do your research and figure out what kind of CCTV jobs there are in your area, Integrators, Resellers and manufacturers are hiding all over the place.

Good luck whatever you do.

I got into it by chance as well, my friend owns a surveillance company. I don't come from a networking or tech field, but I quickly learned...

I would say, if you know how to run wire or are serious about it, learn what it takes to run the wire. Then learn how to use the necessary adapters. Most companies build their own DVR's or are PCDVR's. So if you know how to do some of that technical aspect you should be set. Some companies do hire, but the best thing to do is like most say, go on the internet, and see what places are hiring.

What city are you in?

Hi im pretty new on this forum but i am pretty familiar with CCTV. Im in college going for computer networking. But i love CCTV its a major hobby of mine. I was just wondering how do you get into the CCTV field. such as an installer or a tech. I would love to work in CCTV somewhere. Please let me know how you guys got started.. what things must i do to get my foot in the door. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Where are you located at? I might have a job opening

Thanks!

Where are you located at? I might have a job opening

I am located near St. Louis MO.

I got into it by chance as well, my friend owns a surveillance company. I don't come from a networking or tech field, but I quickly learned...

I would say, if you know how to run wire or are serious about it, learn what it takes to run the wire. Then learn how to use the necessary adapters. Most companies build their own DVR's or are PCDVR's. So if you know how to do some of that technical aspect you should be set. Some companies do hire, but the best thing to do is like most say, go on the internet, and see what places are hiring.

What city are you in?

I live in Jerseyville Ill, Which is pretty much right next to St. Louis MO.