habarraclough

GE SymSafe Pro 16+2

Anybody out there have any experience with upgrading (replacing) the HDD in a SymSafe Pro?

I have 2 new units with 320Gb drives that I want to replace with 1Tb because I'm going to max them out with 16 cameras each in a 20-hour-a-day operation for a customer that expects at least a week of high resolution and high frame rate. I have no problem swapping out the drive (the manual says they autoformat), but at over $2,500 each I'm reluctant to open them up unless I'm sure I know what I'm doing. The spec sheets claim that the drives are "Video Specific", but that sounds like marketing BS so you'll buy the drives from GE at inflated prices. Physically they supposedly are standard SATA drives but ...................... ?

Anyone have first hand experience with this?

Anybody out there have any experience with upgrading (replacing) the HDD in a SymSafe Pro?

I have 2 new units with 320Gb drives that I want to replace with 1Tb because I'm going to max them out with 16 cameras each in a 20-hour-a-day operation for a customer that expects at least a week of high resolution and high frame rate. I have no problem swapping out the drive (the manual says they autoformat), but at over $2,500 each I'm reluctant to open them up unless I'm sure I know what I'm doing. The spec sheets claim that the drives are "Video Specific", but that sounds like marketing BS so you'll buy the drives from GE at inflated prices. Physically they supposedly are standard SATA drives but ...................... ?

Anyone have first hand experience with this?

Figured I'd answer my own post since I see there have been over 50 views but no answers.

I took the plunge and replaced the drives with Western Digital 1Tb "AV" drives (Audio/Video specific - engineered for 24/7 performance). It was easy and painless, and the systems came right back up and recognised them - been running trouble-free for about 2 weeks now.

So, if you're wondering too, go ahead. But make sure you buy AV HDDs!

I changed them in my dvrme and went to the ge site and loaded something on them, maybe just mine but check the site for stuff for your unit. i think it was for wavereader or something. flashed them i think