WildCard

Professional user wants quality dome @ budget price

Same old story...

I think I am about to swear off domes as Rory has, but working on a few things now and wanted your input.

Any decent quality (or high quality) domes that would be suitable in a professional site? Customer feels that bullets or boxes aren't the look he's looking for.

He's said that he's looking for most bank for buck (picture quality vs price), I am just curious as to what brand & model (and approximate price point) you would suggest.

This would be in a pc with Geovision, if it matters.

Thanks,

-WC-

Is this indoor or outdoor?

Ive used the GE domes and generally they were a great image, except 1 or 2 faulty ones, but its the price that got me. They have some high res varifocal indoors and outdoors cameras, and day night Exview. Their backlighting sucks though just FYI, and their Ultraview is crap. Their box cameras are great though, all except the Ultraview.

WizKid is a nice dome also, indestructable.

Ive heard the Ganz are really good, their outdoor domes are much more $$ than GE even though. Their new indoor dome is very low priced though and fellow members here say it is great.

Ive used Sanyo Day Night Domes, great cameras.

Of the above ive used, the WizKid is the easiest to install, but only comes in color or BW, not a true day night.

I just installed 9 Provideo Low Light High Res Vandal Resistant domes, will let you know how they go. So far the day image looks great. Going out there in a few minutes to adjust some more, and this evening to focus properly and setup for vechicles etc. My first impression was they were a pain to install and easy to damage due the a couple dumb manufacturer includes, and i broke the first one, well thats cause I read the instructions for the first time .. just ignore the instructions, its wrong!

Got it working again with some clear caulk seal and some soldering .. Plus just have to know when wall mounting to move the little pigtail cable or it breaks out of the clips by default.

I still prefer the WizKid for regular color or BW as they are a neat white housing, and have an easy to use 360 degree gimble.

Another one to note was an Ameba Color Dome I received, nice picture also, but not low light, just color. Price too high for not being a big name brand.

Sanyo was great color switch to BW and high res, but also a pain to install.

Can anyone say bullet cameras ...Hmmmmm, so easy to install Lets see, I charge $75 to install a bullet, and $150-250 to install a Vandal Proof Dome .. wonder why

Also tell him he will never get the same image with a Dome that he will with a Box camera ... and a bullet will save on cost and still get a good image..

Rory

An incredible amount of quality info, I thank you again.

Yes, these domes were slated for inside. Sorry for mentioning that.

I'll look into those domes mentioned. I have lots of research to do today.

-WC-

PS: I am going to continue this in another thread, about box cams.

no prob, just came back from that job with the provideos, have to go back out tonight as I was missing a part, the DVR!!! The contractor didnt bring it yet Have to go on yet another job now for the rest of today and tomorrow but will get some shots tonight of those domes when I go up there tonight .. price of gas at $4 a gallon this 1 hour drive there and 1 hour drive back in 100 degrees traffic jams, is getting anoying for the little $$ my contractor charged them .. arghhh!

The only domes we use on professional sites are the Pelco's. More $$$, but they can't be beat. Remember, we are talking about Security/Safety here. You can call Pelco on Christmas Eve at midnight and a person will answer the phone.

Pelco PTZ or regular Domes? Ive heard from anyone that has ever sold Pelco regular domes that they have a high failure rate and to stay far away from them.

I know Target uses American Dynamics/Sensormatic SpeedDomes. I can't recall a time inwhich we've (my stores) have had a major problem with them. Only problems with them are: you must line the I/O board up right on installing/moving; we mis-addressed a dome and it took us a week to figure it out.

Quick question: is Sensornet the same as RS-485?