glf

Bnc Power Video cable for outdoor installations

Hi, I see that many store sell premade Bnc Power/Video Extension Cables, ready to use with connectors.

Can this kind of cable be used outdoor, directly exposed to water, or I need to ask for a suitable waterproof cable ?

Hi, most of the premade cables can be exposed to outside. However, water or other damages may shorten the lifespan of the cable. So in order that you use the cable for a long time, you'd better not to be exposed it outside completely. Thanks!

If it's under an eave or somewhere else sheltered, I wouldn't worry too much about it, but if it's going to be directly exposed to the weather, I'd definitely want to protect it by running it through PVC pipe, ENT tubing, or even just with split wiring loom. A bigger concern would be whether the connections themselves are directly exposed - I like to use a good dielectric grease (often sold in auto parts stores to prevent corrosion on battery posts) on outdoor connections, exposed or not.

Does anyone know the max length the video/power signal can run on the premade q-see bnc cables? i have one running 200 feet and i get a video loss. if i play with the connections the most i get is half the picture. I already eliminated the camera and the dvr input as the cause and the cable is not pinched anywhere. i was thinking its either one of the connectors on the cable is faulty or its just too long of a run.

Its probably the ghetto Q-see cable. I have never seen their cable but I assume they use the cheapest material possible in order to keep the costs down. I would recommend getting some regular RG59 Siamese Cable, not the premade stuff. For the most part, the premade stuff is low quality.