westtx28

Exposed Siamese Installation

I need to install several runs approx 100 feet across a flat roof of a church. The church is build like a fortress and extremely inaccessible as far as punching through to run from the inside. I have a spool of the following cable and was wondering if I could run this on the outside exposed to weather and sunlight. http://www.primuscable.com/store/p/475-RG59-Siamese-20AWG-CCTV-Coax-Cable-PVC-95-BC-Braid-Shield-18-2-BK-1000-.aspx

The specifications indicate that it's CMX, UV Rated, and Sunlight Resistant. What do you think?

Also, should I try to attach it a little off the flat roof to a side wall or is it just the same to lay it down on the foor itself?

Thanks.

I've got standard RG59 strung across open flat roofs on a number of sites, and it's been fine for years. The main concern on most of them is damage from other service personnel (HVAC techs in particular). A bigger concern around here is ice and snow.

That said, some 1" or so (depending on how many runs) PVC or ENT to protect the wire should be relatively inexpensive (compared to the cost of doing it all again).

Or consider using smaller conduit and reducing your cable count by using UTP and baluns, and locating the power supply for those cameras elsewhere. Four Cat5e will easily go through 1/2" tubing and give you capacity for up to 16 cameras.

When I was first laying it out I was planning on using quad baluns as I have had great luck with them on other installations. The problem is routing power up there so I figured I'd just use the siamese. This is a 100 year old building with super thick stone walls and it is also very ornate so I am trying to minimize as much visible cabling as possible.