Dayiz

DVR Problem

Hi,

I am Ziyad, Project In-Charge for a company called GIS in UAE.

We are facing a problem with the DVRs that we installed in one of our projects. we have got 7 DVRs with 10/13 cameras connected to each. 2 PTZs per DVR till DVR-4. Also, we have connected Intrusion Detection/Alarm System to these DVRs so that the PTZ will jump to the pre-assigned presets according to the Alarms.

The problem is that the DVRs hang frequently. Then we need to restart the DVRs for it to function again.

Please reply if you have any idea about it or ask me for more details/conditions at site.

BR,

Ziyad

What DVRs are they? Standalone or PC type? Do they ALL exhibit the same symptoms? Are they running in particularly hot or dirty/dusty environments? Are they crashing with error displays, or just locking up?

Hi Matt,

The DVRs are Standalone. Most of them have same symptoms. No, they are in clean and Air Conditioned Control room. They are just locking up, no error displays.. nothing. When DVR is working fine and all Alarms connected, it gets hanged after a while or a day. Hanging means, it doesn't hang the whole system. it still shows the monitor with real time view (people/car moving), but we will not have any control over it. like we will not be able to control with the Keyboard, cannot playback, no TCP/IP connection, date and time freezed... All these happens till we restart the DVR. then it will work normal for sometime/day. Again Hangs!!!!

What DVRs are they? Standalone or PC type? Do they ALL exhibit the same symptoms? Are they running in particularly hot or dirty/dusty environments? Are they crashing with error displays, or just locking up?

Hi Matt,

The DVRs are Standalone. Most of them have same symptoms. No, they are in clean and Air Conditioned Control room. They are just locking up, no error displays.. nothing. When DVR is working fine and all Alarms connected, it gets hanged after a while or a day. Hanging means, it doesn't hang the whole system. it still shows the monitor with real time view (people/car moving), but we will not have any control over it. like we will not be able to control with the Keyboard, cannot playback, no TCP/IP connection, date and time freezed... All these happens till we restart the DVR. then it will work normal for sometime/day. Again Hangs!!!!

Hi. Dayiz. you are going to need to give a lot more info to get help. there are 100s 1000s of dvrs we need to know what make you have. also is it a new install or something that has just started to happen.

maybe disconnect the alarm inputs first. Also take the PTZ off.

That doesnt fix it, perhaps the HDDs are bad.

Are the systems on voltage regulators?

Can you check to see if when it hangs, if it is still recording? That should rule out the HDD.

Otherwise could try a firmware upgrade or reset to defaults.

Could simply be a bad board though.

The symptoms sound just like this Dynacolor DVR I have, that it turned out to be a bad hard drive. They could be a number of other things as well, though, and the fact that nearly identical symptoms are happening to several machines would tend to rule out hardware failure. BAD hardware design, maybe... hardware FAILURE, not so much.

I'd look into a firmware update, as rory suggests... but tom's right, it's really impossible to tell much more without exact make and model info.

Yeah I hooked up a bad laptop hard drive to my PC last night with a Sata-USB adapter, locked my PC up until I removed it ... even the video i was watching was still moving ... but as mentioned on more than one DVR then it might not be that.

hi Tom,

sorry for the late reply.

They are new installs but running for last 3 months in the same manner. the Manufacturer tried upgrading them many times but still same..

Hi Rory,

We have tried the same, disonnected the alarm inputs at this time the DVR works smoothly but some of them still hangs at some time.

No we dont have a voltage regulators but here no need of that. we usually dont use that.

Some DVRs still records some not...

We also doubt the Hardware!!!..

maybe disconnect the alarm inputs first. Also take the PTZ off.

That doesnt fix it, perhaps the HDDs are bad.

Are the systems on voltage regulators?

Can you check to see if when it hangs, if it is still recording? That should rule out the HDD.

Otherwise could try a firmware upgrade or reset to defaults.

Could simply be a bad board though.

Soundy,

Here below i mention the model info,

Brand: Dedicated Micros (UK)

Model: DVIP- EXPRESS, 16 channel, 2 TB storage.

The symptoms sound just like this Dynacolor DVR I have, that it turned out to be a bad hard drive. They could be a number of other things as well, though, and the fact that nearly identical symptoms are happening to several machines would tend to rule out hardware failure. BAD hardware design, maybe... hardware FAILURE, not so much.

I'd look into a firmware update, as rory suggests... but tom's right, it's really impossible to tell much more without exact make and model info.

Exactly... this is on more than on 1 DVR....

So I am scratching my head!!!!!!

WE are going to replace the DVRs with another model because the client is important...

lets check.. meanwhile wait for all your replies and solutions....

Yeah I hooked up a bad laptop hard drive to my PC last night with a Sata-USB adapter, locked my PC up until I removed it ... even the video i was watching was still moving ... but as mentioned on more than one DVR then it might not be that.

yes, DM is about to replace the DVRs.....

Have you contacted DM about it?

Sounds like a big issue.

Hi All,

This is to inform you that DM has replaced all 7 DVRs to newer model and now everything is working fine.

Thanks for all your comments.

Ziyad