Taiconskie

What type of CCTV to choose?

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and I don't have enough knowledge about CCTVs.

I need a CCTV for a small hardware store with a small warehouse. 8 channel IR cameras, and i need to monitor it via internet.

Now my concern is, the connection offered in the area is just 1mbps but the actual speed ranges only from 300~600kbps and the IP is Dynamic.

What type of CCTV to choose? Stand Alone DVR, PC base, IP cams? or any other type of CCTV?

and what Brand to choose?

Thanks.

Any idea what your budget is or are you just trying to figure out what the options are for now?

You mentioned you needed IR cameras... Does this mean there is ZERO light at night after hours?

Dynamic IP isn't a big deal... You work around this with a free DDNS service.

The speed you mentioned... this is upload speed, not download, correct? That's not great, but I've seen much worse... It's do-able on 8 analog cams but don't expect a great frame rate when displaying all 8 cams at once.

Any idea what your budget is or are you just trying to figure out what the options are for now?

You mentioned you needed IR cameras... Does this mean there is ZERO light at night after hours?

Dynamic IP isn't a big deal... You work around this with a free DDNS service.

The speed you mentioned... this is upload speed, not download, correct? That's not great, but I've seen much worse... It's do-able on 8 analog cams but don't expect a great frame rate when displaying all 8 cams at once.

Budget ranges from 60,000-80,000 pesos, approximately 1,300-1,800 dollars depending on the type of CCTV. Yes, because the lights inside the store and warehouse is turned off at night.

It's the download speed. I should have check for the upload speed, I forgot. Since I just check the speed in the area using Teamviewer. I'll check the upload speed later but i think it's lower than the download speed which makes the situation even worse.

How about dividing 8 cams into 2 DVRs with 4 channel analog cams and providing separate internet connection per DVR? then fusing the 2 DVRs in one monitor. Is it possible?

Edited by Guest

It's possible but it wouldn't help your situation. It's not all or nothing with the DVR's remote viewing clients. You can choose to stream 1,4, or all 8 cameras at a time if you wish.

Yikes, that sucks... upload speed is usually a tiny fraction of download speeds. Obviously, upload speeds are what you'd care most about as this is how to DVR gets out and talks to the world.

It's possible but it wouldn't help your situation. It's not all or nothing with the DVR's remote viewing clients. You can choose to stream 1,4, or all 8 cameras at a time if you wish.

Yikes, that sucks... upload speed is usually a tiny fraction of download speeds. Obviously, upload speeds are what you'd care most about as this is how to DVR gets out and talks to the world.

So switching from streaming 8 to 4 or lesser cameras makes it faster?

haha... the area is located in a province here in the philippines. Globe Broadband 1mbps wiimax is just the Internet provider in the area, I don't have any choice.

Yes, you're sending less data through the pipe so your frame rate should increase. This of course does not affect what is being recorded locally.

Yes, you're sending less data through the pipe so your frame rate should increase. This of course does not affect what is being recorded locally.

So dividing 1 DVR into 2 and 4 cams per DVR having different internet connection makes the streaming faster compared to 1 DVR with 8 channels?

You want a DVR with separate encoding between the recording and the network video, it is rare in Stand Alones so you might want to build a PC DVR - even where they claim dual stream in most cases the 2nd stream is next to useless. I know for a fact Geo would work, you can set the quality and the codec, their H.264 codec is really low quality, so at 300K Upload for example Im getting real time on a 4 channel DVR card, a 16 channel card at the same location is much slower though. Ive also used DSL down here ONCE for remote video but not using their H.264 compression, 4 cameras came in really slow but good quality, with H.264 the image is much smaller so would be faster. You mention your upload speed is much less? The DSL here was max 128K upload but is normally in the 80-90 range. Its pushing it when you go 8 cameras or more but if you keep the streaming image size down using H.264 and lower quality then it should or might work fine. I just stay away from DSL here.

Better quality would be a camera without IR for indoors or adding the IR or motion light separate to a better quality camera, but if you must use IR and are on a budget then any Color IR 1/3" camera should work, just check the lens option as well and dont point it at door or window, for that you might want to either point it inside instead, or get a more expensive WDR camera that can handle the backlight. Not all cameras are made alike also, even when they have similar specifications.

So dividing 1 DVR into 2 and 4 cams per DVR having different internet connection makes the streaming faster compared to 1 DVR with 8 channels?

Yes but you need 2 separate modems.

It's not all or nothing with the DVR's remote viewing clients. You can choose to stream 1,4, or all 8 cameras at a time if you wish.

Not with all DVRs, it varies alot now, especially with Stand Alone DVRs. In fact back in the day it was a single connection and that affected all the cameras, just connect and that was it, no choice on which cameras to stream it streamed all of them - alot of new DVRs out there like that also. Some let you setup the view prior to connecting as you mentioned with 4, 8, or 16 etc. and it only connects to those But whats becoming popular now though among the Chinese and Korean DVRs is login to the DVR, then play each camera individually, or setup which cameras you want to stream when you setup the connection prior to connecting. Just changing views normally does not pause the stream of the other cameras, it just hides them from the user, thats what gives you the fast display when changing views otherwise there can be a delay as that channel reconnects/replays - differs greatly among DVRs.

You want a DVR with separate encoding between the recording and the network video, it is rare in Stand Alones so you might want to build a PC DVR - even where they claim dual stream in most cases the 2nd stream is next to useless. I know for a fact Geo would work, you can set the quality and the codec, their H.264 codec is really low quality, so at 300K Upload for example Im getting real time on a 4 channel DVR card, a 16 channel card at the same location is much slower though. Ive also used DSL down here ONCE for remote video but not using their H.264 compression, 4 cameras came in really slow but good quality, with H.264 the image is much smaller so would be faster. You mention your upload speed is much less? The DSL here was max 128K upload but is normally in the 80-90 range. Its pushing it when you go 8 cameras or more but if you keep the streaming image size down using H.264 and lower quality then it should or might work fine. I just stay away from DSL here.

Better quality would be a camera without IR for indoors or adding the IR or motion light separate to a better quality camera, but if you must use IR and are on a budget then any Color IR 1/3" camera should work, just check the lens option as well and dont point it at door or window, for that you might want to either point it inside instead, or get a more expensive WDR camera that can handle the backlight. Not all cameras are made alike also, even when they have similar specifications.

Then what should be the most practical option in my situation? PC base or Stand alone DVR? I don't have enough knowledge about the type of cameras yet but I think most of the supplier that sell an affordable analog cameras here in Cebu, Philippines is the 3.6mm sony CCD lens.

2 DVR cards in a PC with 2 different modems. or 2 DVR with two different modems?

Then what should be the most practical option in my situation? PC base or Stand alone DVR? I don't have enough knowledge about the type of cameras yet but I think most of the supplier that sell an affordable analog cameras here in Cebu, Philippines is the 3.6mm sony CCD lens.

2 DVR cards in a PC with 2 different modems, is it ok?

Practical might not be an option, what kind of environment is this going in?

If its too hot then a PC DVR will likely not last, even a stand alone may have issues but Ive found they do a much better job in extreme temps due to their hardware being much more basic, small tiny board with slow onboard processor and not much else. In extreme heat the hard drives normally go first. This isnt just a home or business PC, being a DVR it is writing all the time so its going to get hot in there. Since you are also in the Tropics, like me, if there is no AC or at least no fan then go for a basic stand alone IMO. Less features but it stands more chance of lasting in that case - less network streaming options and also less evidence sharing features then a decent PC DVR card.

2 DVR cards in a PC with 2 different modems, is it ok?

Practical might not be an option, what kind of environment is this going in?

If its too hot then a PC DVR will likely not last, even a stand alone may have issues but Ive found they do a much better job in extreme temps due to their hardware being much more basic, small tiny board with slow onboard processor and not much else. In extreme heat the hard drives normally go first. This isnt just a home or business PC, being a DVR it is writing all the time so its going to get hot in there. Since you are also in the Tropics, like me, if there is no AC or at least no fan then go for a basic stand alone IMO. Less features but it stands more chance of lasting in that case - less network streaming options and also less evidence sharing features then a decent PC DVR card.

Yes, the environment is situated in a tropical area and providing AC just for the DVR is an additional expense. Is it ok to use just a fan for the DVR?

Does Stand Alone DVR consumes less power than PC base DVRs?

So i think Stand Alone DVR is much better. haha I'm confused. I'm really concern about the streaming speed.

Yes, the environment is situated in a tropical area and providing AC just for the DVR is an additional expense. Is it ok to use just a fan for the DVR?

Not really, that helps a little and needs to be installed in the PC anyway, but does not do the job of say a good ceiling fan, and even with that the windows need to be open all the time. In fact in a PC DVR in a room without AC should have more than one fan anyway; incoming and outgoing. It may last through the Winter but when summer comes it could be all over. Basically you need good air flow in there, it will get hot, AC is recommended over all. If you do decide to go this route without AC at least use the largest case you can for better airflow, not a micro ATX case or a Cube case, and add multiple fans, and keep the Window open. You also want to pick the PC hardware right for lower temps, like just a micro ATX board with onboard video, just a single HDD, no DVD, no Video card, 1 strip of memory, and a slower Core 2 Duo like a 2.4 or 2.6 Ghz as you want that to run fast but not too fast otherwise it gets much hotter, can even leave speedstep enabled to lower the temps some more but depends on the software and cameras installed whether they can run that slow (eg 1200 mhz instead of 2400 mhz). And a nice big full ATX case or even a 4 U Rack case with room for alot of case fans incoming and outgoing.

Does Stand Alone DVR consumes less power than PC base DVRs?

Typically yes but it can vary.

So i think Stand Alone DVR is much better. haha im really confused. Im really concern about the streaming speed.

For network streaming they are typically not as good. If thats your main concern and are willing to work on the cooling of the PC and realize there is always the slight chance it may have issues no matter what you do as long as there is no AC there, at least in the Summer, then the PC DVR will give you more options for streaming video, at least I can say Geovision will - havent used Avermedia or some others but many others do give those options as well.

@ rory: To sum things up, PC base DVR is better than stand alone DVR when it comes to streaming? But PC base requires more cooling than stand alone DVR? right?

Is it possible to divide 8 channel DVR cards into 2 different internet modems? For faster streaming purposes.

Generally yes, only because the PC software tend to have more options in that area. There are exceptions though. Really cheap cards and software for example may have less options for networking and may be even worse.

As for the modems sure, PC or Standalone. Just going to cost more per month.

Generally yes, only because the PC software tend to have more options in that area. There are exceptions though.

As for the modems sure, PC or Standalone. Just going to cost more per month.

ahhh.. Now I get it.

What do I need to use 2 different modems in PC base and Stand alone DVR?