bmac67

Controlling a Pelco Motorized Zoom Lens

Hi All,

I have a Pelco 13ZD Motorized lens that I would like to use for my home system. I currently have a CM9760-KBD keyboard controller that is used for my Spectra PTZ's, can this also be used for the Motorized zoom lens? The manual talks about this briefly, but I am still thinking it will not work. I know Pelco makes specific controllers for this and if that is what I need that is ok just wanted to make sure the 9760 is or isn't the way to go here.

Thanks in advance!

Bryan

Judging from the installation instructions, this lens doesn't accept control signals from the keyboard... it has only drive inputs for the motors. You could control each motor by applying the proper voltage to the proper pins, but you'd need additional modules to actually decode the Pelco protocol the keyboard is providing, and then drive the motors from that.

You would be correct, I actually just got an email from Pelco regarding this info as well, I will post it in case anyone else has a similar question.

"since the 13ZD series lens requires there to be voltages on the wires to control zoom and focus functions, and since the CM9760-KBD outputs "P" protocol only, there will be a need to get a Receiver/Driver in between the camera/lens combo and the CM9760-KBD. A possible Receiver/Driver for use with the CM9760-KBD can be the ERD97P21-U unit. More information on this can be found here: http://www.pelco.com/global/en/products/camera-solutions/range-presentation.page?p_function_id=9510&p_family_id=10231&p_range_id=2926.

"3) The CM9760-KBD can control up to 32 cameras (with 16 cameras on each of the data ports on the back), so, yes you can add in one more to the data line from the KBD as long as all proper data terminations are taken into account and proper address for "P" protocol is taken into account as well."

Only draw back is this item runs about 500 bucks, so if anyone has an alternative that would be great to know about. Also I don't to use the 9760 controller a standalone unit will work as well.

The alternative would be a regular PTZ camera... a remote-zoom lens is of limited utility if you can't aim it, as you'll only be able to zoom in on a single spot.

There're two way to control the motorized zoom lens. Applying receiver(decorder) which receives the RS485 command and convert to the current signal. Another solution is the controller (NOT RS485 joystick) which can send the current signal directly to the motorized zoom lens. With the controller, you are unable to control the lens remotely thru network.