cupboy

Why use a DVR card?

Most computers come with a video input, so couldn't a camera just be plugged in there and recorded somehow? Does the cheap Sony Vegas software do it ($100 version)?

One other problem is I only have an analog camera, no digital one. I'm willing to buy a digital camera though. Not a cheap Chinese one, but a nice Sanyo.

some computers come with a TV and/or RCA input but not most. The ones that do are normally something like a Sony Media Center PC, or add the TV capture card separately. But to answer the other question yes as in that case it is a Capture card, you could use generic CCTV software to record it, wont be great though. Could try Luxriot which is more professional and works with many generic capture card drivers, I think they let you use 1 channel for free with some limitations. I know nothing about that Sony Vegas software, perhaps its just for recording/editing movies, not 24/7 capture.

Vegas is primarily a video editing/compositing application... similar in target market to Premiere, Final Cut, etc. (although quite different in functionality - I prefer it to Premiere, personally). It can record from a most WIA-compatible devices, but as Rory notes, it's not really designed to record surveillance video 24/7.

And as Rory says, MOST computers DON'T have a video input... the ones that do (Media Center machines and such) are usually using a separate card for it.

DVR cards have several differences specific to the purpose... such as multiple inputs (4/8/16, commonly), usually one or two outputs... some support alarm inputs/outputs... some have multiple channels of audio input as well.

BTW, the inputs on DVR cards AND the composite input on your media machine, all accept analog cameras...

Most computers come with a video input, so couldn't a camera just be plugged in there and recorded somehow? Does the cheap Sony Vegas software do it ($100 version)?

One other problem is I only have an analog camera, no digital one. I'm willing to buy a digital camera though. Not a cheap Chinese one, but a nice Sanyo.

To add to the above..

If your computer can "see" the device- recording off the device should be no problem.

Will Sony Vegas, or xyz software work? I imagine you could configure it to capture raw video , but you will not have advanced functions as DVR software provides. As mentioned by Rory Luxriot would be a much better solution as it would offer "Motion detection" (EG only records when motion is detected, and has adjustable frame-rate options, etc)

Could you capture with xyz non-dvr type software?

Capturing raw video would result in HUGE vid files, using a DVR type program would reduce the size of file, TIME SEARCHING THRU SAME IF A EVENT HAS OCCURRED- PLUS adds such very useful features as a time stamp, Anti-tampering watermarking to the image/vid which is needed for court cases.

PS: POST BACK WHAT YOU END UP DOING... in as much detail as possible.

Name, model, version of hardware /software... any special tricks, tips that YOU would like to "see" if you were searching....

Links to FREE capture software:

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2021