DotBevins

AVC782 + Video Server E

I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this query but hope the administrator will correct me if I'm wrong.

We have the above combo running which was installed three years ago. Everything was working fine until recently when we have been unable to log in. On inspection of the DVR, it was because of a loose network cable. Once this was reconnected we could see the cameras on the pc but the pictures were quickly flashing between showing the live picture and a blue screen. We have checked all the other connections and everything is fine.

Although I am not completely computer illiterate I am lost when it comes to this so any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

I would start with pinging the DVR repeatedly.

On your computer: Start/Run/ type "CMD" and hit OK.

Vista or 7 I think is: Start/ Search: "CMD" and enter.

A black MS-DOS window should pop up.

Type in "ping 192.168.1.105 -t"

Obviously, use the correct IP address of the DVR.

Leave the ping running and walk over to the DVR and start jiggling cables. Go back to the computer and hold down "Ctrl" and then hit "C"

Look at the report. You should have 0% loss. If you don't, you potentially have a cabling issue. If you don't have a cable tester, replacing the cable is the easiest thing to do. If you replace the cable and you still have issues, it's possible you have an issue with a NIC either on the DVR or the PC you're working on. Try the pinging trick from another PC, if you get the same results and you have all new cabling, then it's a NIC going out on the DVR and it's most likely integrated to the motherboard and there's nothing you can do.

Sorry to be so ignorant but how do I find the ip address of the DVR? On my pc I go to www.whatismyisp but cannot do that on the DVR.

Can you also tell me what a NIC is

Thank you

Walk over to your DVR and scroll through the menu options. Look under "Network Settings" or something similar and write down the IP address.

A NIC is a network interface card... it's what your Ethernet cable plugs into on the computer or DVR.

Thank you so much for your advice. These cameras are at my daughter's work so I will get over there asap and try out your suggestions.

I will keep you updated.

Thanks again.

It pings fine but Ctrl C just takes us back to C prompt - no report. Cannot access any log files on the DVR.

Anything else you can suggest?

I am still having problems with our cameras and it is now becoming urgent. I have been in touch with AVTech who asked me a bunch of questions then left me in the lurch.

Please, can anyone tell me how to get rid of the vloss message and the blue screens (we have four cameras)?

I am still having problems with our cameras and it is now becoming urgent. I have been in touch with AVTech who asked me a bunch of questions then left me in the lurch.

Please, can anyone tell me how to get rid of the vloss message and the blue screens (we have four cameras)?

hi your problem has been going on for a month now if it is urgent you might find it better to get someone in to network it for you.

as far a video loss on the screens .... this is because you dont have cameras connected to those channels. go into avtech menu and under cameras you can switch off cameras you are not using.

on the network side. do you know the make of the router you are using ??? but before you waste time you will need a static ip or a ddns account or you will spend time setting up your dvr only for it to loose the ip the next day. who is your ISP with.

if the network cable was loose I would check for other issues like loose BNC connectors. Maybe the DVR was hit and damaged. Also make sure the power cables are all connected good.

ISP is BT and I believe it is a BT router. We have an account with no-ip to overcome the ip address not being static.

Where the dvr is means the cable is bent 90 deg to plug in so it is a bit 'stretched'. It is also a bit loose where it goes into the router but if it was that cable surely there would be no picture rather than a blue screen?

All the other cables are in securely as we keep checking them.

ISP is BT and I believe it is a BT router. We have an account with no-ip to overcome the ip address not being static.

Where the dvr is means the cable is bent 90 deg to plug in so it is a bit 'stretched'. It is also a bit loose where it goes into the router but if it was that cable surely there would be no picture rather than a blue screen?

All the other cables are in securely as we keep checking them.

Hi Dot Bevins. Bt will give you a static ip this will save on added set up problems. with a BT router you dont do any settings on your dvr you do everything in the router. as a BT router will not show ip addresses it will only show mac address of your dvr and you portforward all your ports to the mac address. you will need to set 3 port types for the avtech. go to firewall on your router and do the settings from there. go internet explorer and type in.... home then click on firewall

Won't this just cure a connectivity problem? I can connect to the dvr but the four cameras are just showing blue screens with vloss written on them.

Won't this just cure a connectivity problem? I can connect to the dvr but the four cameras are just showing blue screens with vloss written on them.

do you have a monitor on your dvr. and if so does that show video loss.

It does not have a monitor of its own. It is connected to a router which is on a pc in the next room. Using that pc or one 20 miles away both show the video loss.

It does not have a monitor of its own. It is connected to a router which is on a pc in the next room. Using that pc or one 20 miles away both show the video loss.

can you not put a monitor on the dvr. video loss could be anything .... bad connectors or bad power unit. and it could be your network cable. but you are best of starting at the dvr and see what you get with a monitor pluged in.