jhilz

Home system analog or IP

Hello,

I am looking to add a cctv system to my house and still a bit unsure of whether I should go with analog or IP. Been doing a lot of research and keep flipping

System requirements

budget: 2500-3K

Able to display mjpg on HAI 5.7e (Can use HAI camera server for 650.00 if analog)

3 outdoor day/night cameras total (temp range -20 to 100)

- 1 of the 3 camera's will be ceiling mounted under the eve of the house for front door. Audio not required, but could be useful later on

- 2 of 3 camera will be ceiling mounted under the eve off the side of the garage that covers the driveway to the main road. The area is roughly 50X100 feet for night coverage with roughly 100 degree view angle

- 3 of 3 camera's will cover a back yard and also be ceiling mounted and has a night coverage area of 100X200 feet with a view angle as close to 180. This is the area that I would want the best night detail that the budget would allow.

A couple of additional camera's will be used in various inside locations.

- I do not currently have a pc that could be used for video archive

- I do have POE switch ports available.

- I have cabling cat6 16/2 and rg6 to the camera locations already.

- ability to use browser to view the video archive

- PTZ nice but not a requirement

I like the idea of IP cameras, but the options/affordability of analog dvrs is more appealing.

@jhlz, if you are considering megapixel, our camera finder shows that there are 6 MP IP cameras that are rated IP66 or IP67 for outdoor use and are relatively inexpensive

of those the only 1 with built-in IR is the Vivotek IP8332 (this might be useful for the back yard)

three of these cameras should cost about $1500 total (maybe slightly less)

Hope this helps and let me know if you have feedback or questions.

I like the idea of IP cameras, but the options/affordability of analog dvrs is more appealing.

An NVR *should* be cheaper, in general, than an analog or hybrid DVR, because it needs no capture hardware.

An NVR *should* be cheaper, in general, than an analog or hybrid DVR, because it needs no capture hardware.

Yeah but not compared to the average stand alone these days.

We get these stand alones for less than the cost of a PC now.

I agree that NVRs are more expensive than DVRs. It's easy to find 4 channel DVRs for under $300 but I can't find any NVRs under $400 (synology being the cheapest I found).

This is a plus for using analog/DVRs.

Yeah but not compared to the average stand alone these days.

We get these stand alones for less than the cost of a PC now.

You could build your Exacq NVR on something like this... CDN$260: http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=55865&vpn=XS35-702&manufacture=Shuttle

You could build your Exacq NVR on something like this... CDN$260: http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=55865&vpn=XS35-702&manufacture=Shuttle

I dont know what that is in US dollars? But going by their US site its the same in US dollars. Actually I can build a much faster computer for less.

But still, I get a 4 channel DVR for $130 no extra licences needed and cheap cameras can be put on it.

16 channel for under $400 with great live video quality, no client needed.

All in one, no building, OS loaded and ready, plug and play.

Sure it doesnt have all the features of even a PC Based DVR like Geo, but it has all the features most clients need.

Rory, what kind of "4 channel DVR for $130" can you get? What's the specs on it? hard drive? resolution, frame rate, etc? Can you link or cite a specific product?

I am with you that 4 channel DVRs are cheaper but $130 seems too low.

Rory, what kind of "4 channel DVR for $130" can you get? What's the specs on it? hard drive? resolution, frame rate, etc? Can you link or cite a specific product?

I am with you that 4 channel DVRs are cheaper but $130 seems too low.

Dahua Stand Alone DVR.

Hard Drive is extra as with all. Im using an old 80GB SATA on the 4 channel, get 1 week recording no problem. The 16 channel geting over a month (since it was setup) with 2TB continuous record @ D1.

Their D1 is actually 704x480.

VGA or Composite Output, HDMI on model for a couple bucks more.

Motion, Continuous, Schedule Record, etc

Network viewing with IE Browser, Windows or Mac Client program.

D1 Live and Record Resolution

30fps D1 on channel 1, 7fps D1 on all other channels, or 30fps CIF on all channels.

Records to DAV file type but can convert to AVI using their software.

I just use my computer over the router to do everything on it now as I only have 1 monitor here.

YES it is budget but blows away others in price range even sub $400 DVRs and many big brands.

And recall Im coming from 3 years of Geovision DVRs and several years of GE/Kalatels.

No it doesnt have the Geovision features, but also I cant stick a Geo PC in a hot utility room.

Also sold under Intellicam USA (same model with HDMI and Alarms) but more expensive.

Also sold under a Q-see model, also more expensive.

Purchased through Miami Distributor under their name, XTSVideo.

This is the model with HDMI, actually I have this one, but its the same as the cheaper model but with HDMI and Alarms. This is like $50 more. You will pay around $250 retail for the cheaper model, or around $300 for the HDMI model (both with HDDs). But since we were talking about building systems thats why I mentioned what I get them for to compare. I dont think its a secret anyway, that I will get them cheaper than retail.

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/product_det.aspx?ID=675&p=cpyzc&p_kind=3&c_kind=262&c_kind2=&c_kind3=

some sample videos here, 3 of them listed from this Dahua DVR:

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/samples/videos/

or go here if you cant access the facebook videos (youtube compresses them more though)

http://www.youtube.com/user/BahamasSecurity

I could build you an NVR on a $30 used P4, too... I mean, come on, you could play the price game all day if you keep stripping away features and functionality. Still doesn't make a valid comparison.

FWIW, we have Vigil systems in the field, several years old, still running just fine on their original P4 system, using essentially the same software as the current systems. There's no reason an old, used, slow-by-today's-standards system can't work just fine.

Edit: oh yeah, I have a "portable test/demo NVR" running Vigil on an old Acer laptop (Celeron M)... the laptop itself was free. So unless someone is paying you to take a standalone DVR... I win

I could build you an NVR on a $30 used P4, too... I mean, come on, you could play the price game all day if you keep stripping away features and functionality. Still doesn't make a valid comparison.

You could but it wouldnt work well at all. BTW most refurbed P4 systems run around $200.

I can easily build a new Pentium Dual Core with 2GB DDR2 800, 500GB HDD, HDMI, by far much faster than any P4 system and Atom, for approx $200. Not to mention place it in a larger case for better air cooling. So yes, it is a real world comparison.

FWIW, we have Vigil systems in the field, several years old, still running just fine on their original P4 system, using essentially the same software as the current systems. There's no reason an old, used, slow-by-today's-standards system can't work just fine.

Most current software can barely run on old hardware as developers are developing current software on what can be called super computers in comparison to an old P4. So yes it will crawl on an Atom especially trying to stream Live video on it, as the Atoms are even slower than the average P4. I cant speak for Vigil maybe they develop on old slower computers? I can however vouch for tons of others having personally used them. BTW I use a P4 as my main system so this I know well.

In fact just recently a DVR manufacturer tried to tell me the same thing when an old PC DVR's HDD crashed and we had to replace it, they didnt have the old software so gave me the new one instead, it was fine except it ran at 100% CPU when recording basic video at just half D1, infact it was fine until it kept crashing and in the end had to turn down the encoding to CIF and disable Audio recording all together - even then it barely runs smooth. Otherwise XP runs fine on it without the DVR software, and we have an exact identical DVR at another location running the old software and same number of cameras recording audio and D1 with barely 60% CPU. Also I DO have older GEO's out there on 2.4 celerons, but the current software will barely run on my P4 let alone a celeron. Its just how things are, they change, in fact they tend to get slower requiring faster hardware, thanks to the new developers that feel everyone and they mama has a super computer. Basically most current software is nothing like their old software regardless of how their GUI might look.

Edit: oh yeah, I have a "portable test/demo NVR" running Vigil on an old Acer laptop (Celeron M)... the laptop itself was free. So unless someone is paying you to take a standalone DVR... I win

I got this 4 channel, and my last one and the one before that, and every computer Ive used in the past 10 years, for free also, not to mention the free 23" LCD Monitor I use, and the free keyboards and mice I have. Come to think about it, even my router was free. Guess I win??

Oh yeah I didnt have to pay a dime for my cameras either, all 2nd hand free

mee.jpg

Rory, thanks for the reference to the Dahua DVR0404. That makes sense.

I also agree with the challenges with building your own NVR (including the cost of one's time).

Have you looked at the Dahua NVR0404? http://www.dahuasecurity.com/product_det.aspx?ID=548&p=cpyzc&p_kind=3&c_kind=285&c_kind2=&c_kind3=

It seems to be the NVR counterpart to the DVR model you mentioned. Do you know how the pricing or features compare?

No sorry I havent yet. Havent even checked out their Enterprise DVR yet. People around this area want the cheapest thing they can get their hands on.

I've been using the Dahua DH-DVR1604LE-A for about eight months now. http://www.dahuasecurity.com/product.aspx?p=cpyzc&p_kind=3&c_kind=262&c_kind3=

It is pretty much state-of-the-art. Dahua claims to have 50% of the entire Chinese market in DVRs, so that all other Chinese DVR manufacturers (combined) share the other 50%. Dahua claim a 50% sales increase last year alone and has staked its reputation on its DVR platform which is identical across all of its DVRs. This means that they essentially use the same software. The main differences between their models is 4, 8. 16 etc., cameras and the number that can record in full D1 resoultion. The 1604LE-A can record D1 simulanteously on cam 1 and cam 9, the other cameras taking the lower resolution and/or frame rates.

I have to say that the recorded image is spectacular. The GUI is controlled through an intuitive mouse and it is dead easy to use. I have the rare and optional remote and have never needed to use it. It has PTZ out on the back to control pan tilt etc., and a plethora of other functions that just go on and on. The unit it cool and very quiet. It draws less than 23 watts of power and is so efficient it doesn't even have a fan. Dahua is going to be a force to be reckoned with in CCTV DVRs in coming years. They have good support on the Dahua website usually through the Dahua Techs like Ivan and Kevin. http://www.dahuasecurity.com/feedback_list.aspx?p=fwyxz&p_kind=4&c_kind=9&c_kind2=192&c_kind3=

Having said that, many of the Dahua employees in Binjiang District, Hangzhou are rude and arrogant. Their left hand does not know what their right hand is doing. I enquired recently about the DH-SD60C09 High Speed Dome and was given the run-around for weeks until Rita in sales overseas@dahuatech.com contradicted Kevin (who then contradicted himself) and said that model was out of production. I then pointed out to them it was offered in their current catalogue along with false claims about IP67 weather protection. Needless to say, they were not impressed. Anyway, it seems that Dahua are mostly interested in conquering and monopolizing the DVR market. I guess because the DVR will become the cornerstone of all future CCTV surveillance.

(If I have stepped on anyone's toes about the Ebay recommendation, then would someone please remove the detail above.)

Dahua claim a 50% sales increase last year alone...

Largely thanks to Rory! Lol

Everytime I hear the name Dauha I get the urge to say "bless you."

Yeah they normally have different names. Intellicam, XTSVideo, certain models from Q-See, Mace, and others.