IP Tech

Help Urgently needed

Hello guys,

Any help would be welcome, I'm tearing my hair out over this .

Here's whats happening:

We've done an IP camera system with Milestone XProtect Enterprise and Axis cameras for a large grocery store. We're asked to do a POS integration with their tills as well, here's the technical specification:

Till make - NCR (Model number 7456-1000 old tills)

Rs232 to IP converter - Moxa nport 5110a

Software - Milestone Transact 2.5

OS - Windows 7 but we're testing it on a laptop running XP

At first, the printer on the tills got scrambled badly and we couldn't pull any info off the tills, after getting the correct baud rate and comm port number we can telnet to the till printer but Transact can't see the POS device data (i.e. till slip info) at all. It also seems like the ASCII out put from the till is incorrectly formatted but we don't know hoe to alter this.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

You might first try looking at the live serial data in a terminal program (HyperTerm, etc.), make sure you're actually getting legible information.

From there, whatever you have receiving and interpreting the data - your RS232-to-IP box, in this case - has to be able to read and parse what the POS is sending it. If the POS puts a TAB after every item on a line, but the interface is looking for a CR, that sort of thing could be the root of your problem.

Most POS interfaces just want plain ASCII with little formatting... I don't know about your registers specifically, but try seeing if they have an option to format output for a "Polewatcher" device - that will be about as plain-jane as you can get. Of course, then you have to tell the converter box that that's what sort of data to expect from the register.

I can't speak for the box you're using, but when I set up a Honeywell SmartPIT text-inserter box, it allowed the user to customize the parser configuration to any format desired. It also had a function, in its web-based admin interface, to capture the incoming data to a file, that you could then email to Honeywell, and they'd send back the necessary config file (I only had to do this once; I had a working config for a Squirrel terminal within two hours).

Might be something to investigate...

Hello guys,

Any help would be welcome, I'm tearing my hair out over this .

Here's whats happening:

We've done an IP camera system with Milestone XProtect Enterprise and Axis cameras for a large grocery store. We're asked to do a POS integration with their tills as well, here's the technical specification:

Till make - NCR (Model number 7456-1000 old tills)

Rs232 to IP converter - Moxa nport 5110a

Software - Milestone Transact 2.5

OS - Windows 7 but we're testing it on a laptop running XP

At first, the printer on the tills got scrambled badly and we couldn't pull any info off the tills, after getting the correct baud rate and comm port number we can telnet to the till printer but Transact can't see the POS device data (i.e. till slip info) at all. It also seems like the ASCII out put from the till is incorrectly formatted but we don't know hoe to alter this.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Hi if you are testing straight from till to laptop you will need to use a cross over cable for the moxa. and also every time you change settings you also need to reset the moxa unit every time till text is right. how far is your till from the dvr.

Hello,

I'll definitly give the cross over cables and terminal program a try, we're currently recording on to a server thats at around +- 20 meters away depending on which till we're talking about.