Fiona

Does Pelco IV accept generic 3rd Party controllers?

The Pelco IV info refers to an 'Optional keyboard controller'.

Will Pelco IVs (all, some most?) out of the box accept a generic Pelco P or D protocol Controller without an 'Optional keyboard controller'?

They should accept Pelco D/P protocol from pretty much anything that can send them, as long as the comm parameters match up (baud rate, ID number, etc.). We've used a number of Spectra II, III, IV, and Esprit cameras just running straight off the 9-pin serial port of Vigil PC-based DVRs. I've also controlled a Pelco Esprit using PTZ Controller software on my laptop, with a generic USB-to-serial adapter.

Buyer Beware on really cheap PTZ controllers.

I bought one for $99 and it was such a piece of junk. It never really worked right and really only worked at 2400 Baud Rate. I use a 4 channel DVR as my PTZ controller as it has mouse driven PTZ controls and it blows away most cheap PTZ joystick controllers.

If you got a really nice PTZ like a Pelco Spectra, dont insult it with a cheap joystick controller. Get a nice one where you can access the menu and all that good stuff.

I use a 4 channel DVR as my PTZ controller as it has mouse driven PTZ controls and it blows away most cheap PTZ joystick controllers.

Some DVRs also allow you to plug in a USB game joystick, gamepad, or even a flightstick, and use that to control attached PTZs

Soundy, you have a lot of experience with the Pelco Esprit. In the Pelco Esprit PDF, it refers to a 'TXB Series Translator Board' which 'allows controllers from other companies to communicate with the Esprit system.'

Do you know what a TXB Series Translator Board actually is? If any 3rd party Pelco D P controller works on the Espirit or Pelco IV, what would be the purpose of a Translator Board?

Thanks for the TXB Translator Board PDF. It now makes sense. The Board literally translates - as you said - other protocols in a form recognised by the Pelco decoder.