Sign in to follow this  
Mel

Advice sort on a better DVR

Hi,

I'm looking into the cost of replacing an 8 and a 16 channel DVRs used in a local social club's two premises, with better, more practical units.

The current DVRs are a cop security 15-vt16-CDRW and a 15-vt08-CDRW http://www.cop-eu.com/sections/specs/full_page_specs/index.php?product=15-VT16-CDRW&v=specs and were supplied as part of a bodged install by a security company that folded shortly after being paid.

There are various issues with the existing units, such as the recording frame rates and storage capacity really aren't high enough. It takes 30 minutes or more to back-up less than 15 minutes of footage to a CD-R, and the back-ups tend to drop occasional frames on the 16 channel box and nearly all the frames recorded from two of the cameras on the 8 channel box. The DVR's netviewer software seems a beta at best, and is missing useful features such as not being able to set the frame rate when converting a camera view to an AVI, which means that the AVI's play back at about 40-50 times normal speed without further processing with third party software, and don't include the date or time. Also there doesn't seem to be an option to select a specific start time for playback over a lan connection, but only to play through one hour segments at normal speed.

On the plus side they will record in D1, although the picture quality in both cif and D1 is poor - appears to be overly compressed.

I'm after an 8 and a 16 channel DVR that can record on all cameras in d1 resolution at a rate of at least 6 frames per second per camera, although a higher frame rate might be desirable for the cameras covering the bar area.

Ideally they'd need it to retain at least 7 days worth of footage, and 10 days would be desirable. And I want to be able to make a back-up of an incident at a reasonable speed, and have decent player software to review it on a PC and convert it to a format that can be taken away and viewed by the police - preferably still showing the date and time.

It would also be desirable to have separate admin and user logins, and for it to keep a log of power offs, and user logins.

Can anyone suggest any budget DVRs, or PC based DVR cards that are up to the job, and how much a suitable 16 channel DVR is likely to cost here in the UK?

Thanks very much.

Regards,

Mel.

Edited by Guest

Hi mel.

you say you are in the uk. you will need at least 21 days recording by law at your premises. (drinks licence laws)

Thanks for the reply,

I'll have to check with the club secretary about that as they're getting less than 5 days worth of recording at 1½ frames per second per camera on the current 16 channel DVR.

cop are good units but yes time to back-up is slow. this is a very good dvr . hybrid windows based.

http://www.avermedia.com/AVerDiGi/Product/Detail.aspx?id=263

if you would like to see one working just let me know.

Thanks, but at the moment I'm mainly trying to get an idea of prices and good makes and models, so the committee can decide whether they can afford to replace them or not, and set an adequate budget.