John Barleycorn

Video delay/replay system for sports training

I'm looking into adding a video replay system to our pool for springboard diving training as the visual feedback is extremely useful. I plan to send the video signal to an LCD panel with a built in DVR which can do time shifting so we can run the playback on about a 10-15 second delay so the divers have time to get out of the pool to see how their previous dive looked. I've found a few LCD TVs with built in DVR capability and now I'm looking for either a 1080p or 720p camera which can feed a signal over either HDMI or DVI to the LCD panel. There seem to be a lot of cctv cameras out there but I haven't found any that do 1080p or 720p over HDMI. Can anyone suggest places I can look for such cameras or let me know if they even exist?

You won't find many CCTV cameras that do HDMI, since HDMI cables are typically limited to a maximum of 15m length... that's impractical for most types of installations. You'd probably be better off with a consumer camcorder in this instance.

Thanks for the reply Soundy. After doing some more looking around it seems that the LCD with built in DVR I thought I would use is an older model and I can't find them anymore and I'm not finding any others. I may have to rethink this. I was hoping to find something with as few parts as possible since installation is going to be difficult but I plan on mounting the panel across a corner so there will be some space behind it to house a small DVR or PC to handle time shifting the video signal. Would using a PC or stand alone DVR open up more options for me as far as cameras go? Another thing that would be nice is to have a camera that doesn't require a separate power feed. Sre there cameras that get power over the same line as the video signal?

Most of what you want to do is easy, but not so much when try to you put them all together.

I say "most" because your biggest problem is going to be finding something that will give you the 10-15s delay. Surveillance DVRs are generally designed to display live video, and to allow search and playback of recorded video as a separate process... 15s timeshifting isn't really a design criteria, and I can't think of any that would really do it.

What might work better is a home-entertainment type PVR, the kind you'd hook up to your cable or satellite, to allow you to record TV shows and "pause live TV". That would make it easy to pause the live feed for 10-15s (or whatever time offset you want), then resume the feed with the introduced delay. This could easily be done with a PC and some software like SageTV, Beyond TV, or even Windows Media Center... or using a cable or satellite PVR.

The trick then, is finding one that can accept input from an HD camera. Most of the cable/satellite type units (all of them I've seen, anyway) only record their own received feeds. I'm sure they exist, though.

As for powering the camera over the signal wire, you can do that with an IP camera using PoE (power over ethernet), but that wouldn't work with your time-shifting PVR; you generally require a computer to receive and display the megapixel image. You could potentially do it with a basic PC driving a VGA monitor, and do some custom coding with a camera's SDK to display the time-delayed video. I know IQEye cameras have some small command-line utilities that may do what you want. You could probably also use something like VLC to receive an MJPEG or H.264 stream and replay it with a time delay.

Wow, I found someone who is looking for something similar. I am looking for a "simple" video replay for girls volleyball. We have the ability to mount 2 cameras, wheel on a cart a DVR and TV's or projector.

Question: Which DVR would you use? The Tivo brand boxes require service and do not recognize a camera, either does the Cox DVR box. We have old camera's and willuse S video cables.

Suggestions for DVR box?

I do not need a delay ssytem. The coach would indicate a player made a mistake .... then she would go to the remote control, rewind ...see her mistake, make the corrrection and resume playing. The recording should be continuous

Hey all,

I had the exact same question, and I found a simple easy to use answer. We purchased a DVD recorder with CHASEPLAY and an internal harddrive. We have connected the video camera through the DVDR, and press record. Once you have reached your desired delay time, press play and the recorder starts Chaseplay delayed video. So there is no real limit on the delay you can set.

And the great thing is, you can always stick a DVDR CD in the device, press quick burn and all the video on the device is burnt to the DVD, or you can just delete it.

I purchased a Pioneer DVD Recorder DVR-533H from ebay, brand new $140, and it works like a charm. It holds a total of 32 hours of standard quality video, which is way more than enough, or at least for us.