cglaeser

static buildup on a wire causes modem to drop connection?

My DSL modem dropped internet connection today so I called AT&T technical support. One of the tasks he asked me to perform was to unplug the wire from the wall jack and modem, turn it end-for-end, and plug it back in. He said after several years of use, the wire can build up a static charge. Any MythBusters in the house?

Best,

Christopher

Quick google search turned this article up...

http://www.cable360.net/ct/video/BROADBAND-Chemistry-Class_27344.html

That makes a heck-of-a lot more sense. I kept asking him, are you serious? Static accumulates in the wire? He said to turn it around and it will reverse the static. I don't know if this is an official AT&T procedure or not. I suppose if you reverse the cable then you will knock off some of the corrosion, but it would have been easier to unplug and replug each end.

Best,

Christopher

I know in space (satellites) this can actually happen...depends on the resistivity of the material. In some orbits/cases additional shielding is provided over the wire insulation to prevent it from getting charged. Wires that are not connected can build up charge and actually discharge/arc. I mention this just because it is kind of interesting.

ESD containers are not made of perfectly insulating material, so they will not hold a charge.

I don't think that's what is going on here though...reversing the static does not make sense...

Just the act of touching the wire would dissipate any possible charge.

Quick google search turned this article up...

http://www.cable360.net/ct/video/BROADBAND-Chemistry-Class_27344.html

That makes a heck-of-a lot more sense. I kept asking him, are you serious? Static accumulates in the wire? He said to turn it around and it will reverse the static. I don't know if this is an official AT&T procedure or not. I suppose if you reverse the cable then you will knock off some of the corrosion, but it would have been easier to unplug and replug each end.

Best,

Christopher

Wow.

Umm.... really?

Wow.