personalt

Vivotek FD8134 Not having auto iris - is that a problem?

I had a question in regard to the FD3184 not having 'auto iris' like most of the other vivotek cameras.

I was looking at the Vivotek FD8161 and the FD8134 caught my eye. It loosk similar to the FD8161 except resolution is 1280x800 instead of 1600x1200.

http://www.vivotek.com/products/model.php?network_camera=fd8134

It is is a fixed length lens - 3.6 mm, F1.8 which I dont see as being a problem at least for my application. During the inital install I can move camera foward/backwards as needed to get the shot I am looking for.

The one feature that was missing that I was concerned about was 'auto iris.' Most of the other Vivoteks are auto iris. Does not having auto iris mean it cant adjust to changing light? This is a camera with IR emmitters so the assumption that I would have is this camera can work is day or night. How does it adjust to the time in between?

Anyone try this camera?

Although that answer is technically correct I do not believe it does justice to the issue. CMOS sensors do not NEED AI like CCD sensors do because you dont have to worry about the sensor being burned out. However, that does not mean having an AI lens does not provide some benefit beyond merely protecting the sensor. Axis and Kowa even recently came out with a new kind of control system they dubbed a P iris lens. Axis had a whitepaper on it explaining the potential advantages but the link does not seem to be working.

CMOS sensers do not need AI

Although that answer is technically correct I do not believe it does justice to the issue. CMOS sensors do not NEED AI like CCD sensors do because you dont have to worry about the sensor being burned out. However, that does not mean having an AI lens does not provide some benefit beyond merely protecting the sensor. Axis and Kowa even recently came out with a new kind of control system they dubbed a P iris lens. Axis had a whitepaper on it explaining the potential advantages but the link does not seem to be working.

You comparing a $1400 camera to a $400 camera.

That's not the point. Your answer could leave one thinking that an AI lens on a CMOS sensor serves no purpose. I agree that it is not necessary but that does not mean it cannot be useful. Do you agree with that or not?

You comparing a $1400 camera to a $400 camera.

That's not the point. Your answer could leave one thinking that an AI lens on a CMOS sensor serves no purpose. I agree that it is not necessary but that does not mean it cannot be useful. Do you agree with that or not?

I understand how P-iris works and I am not saying it doesn't serve a purpose, but the fact is CMOS does not need auto iris lens.

I was looking at the Vivotek FD8161 and the FD8134 caught my eye. It loosk similar to the FD8161 except resolution is 1280x800 instead of 1600x1200.

Going by the specs, the IR is pretty much useless unless in a really small area.

Its a CMOS chip and its really high res and it has a F:1.8 lens so its low light capability is probably next to none. Dont expect much from it, better off buying a lower res CCTV camera which will actually see something if Day Night IR apps is what you are after.

I understand how P-iris works and I am not saying it doesn't serve a purpose, but the fact is CMOS does not need auto iris lens.

I take it you mean a specific CMOS chip, surely not the $10 ones?

This is for a babies room.. Crib is about 10 feet from the camera. I want to be able to take a look when I hear him screaming his head off. Would like to stay ip based since I can then pull it up on my android tablet.

*how can I tell how useless the IR is?

*what kind of lens should I be looking for

* is there a better solution for a low/no light setup, indoors, close range that is sub $500?

thanks..

Going by the specs, the IR is pretty much useless unless in a really small area.

Its a CMOS chip and its really high res and it has a F:1.8 lens so its low light capability is probably next to none. Dont expect much from it, better off buying a lower res CCTV camera which will actually see something if Day Night IR apps is what you are after.

Would like to stay ip based since I can then pull it up on my android tablet.

You can do that with most DVRs and NVRs, everything has a network connection now and many support Android.

If its only for the crib then it would work though Id be a little more afraid of what damage the IR might do to the kid, even the slightest IR hurts my eyes and Im a grown man.

I had no idea about the IR being bad for eyes but it makes perfect sense.

That leaves me looking for a decent indoor low light camera recommendation. I want to keep it under $500, under $400 would be better..

I think I would like to keep it ip based rather then going with a networkable DVR

Regarding the IP based no problem I understand..

For the IR .. in that camera's case it doesnt seem that much IR so may be okay, its LED though so its stronger on the eyes than a regular light. Really as long as its not pointing right in their eyes it should be fine.

You might consider the Axis M1114. It's supposed to be realtively good in color in low light. Slightly outside your proce range but you should be able to get one for less than $500. I dont think it has audio support though.