deepcj7

My head is spinning please help...

I'm trying to replace my 10 yr old Swann residential system. After an attempted break in two weeks ago, my system had the chance of getting liscence plates and face shots but the pix were to grainy to make out.

In a attempt to find out what are the good cameras out there I had some security camera companies come out and give me some estimates. The Acti TCM 1231 seemed to be choice of camera. But the reviews on here don't seem so favorable to this camera. So can anyone help me find a better camera...I've been searching for a week but it's hard to tell what are the good ones for my need. Here's what I'm looking for:

-Bullet camera for ease of mounting

-POE

-megapixel camera

-day/night/outdoor, but not so much emphasis on night due to most break ins appear to be daytime related.

-best resolution I can get for around $1100 each

-planning to use stand alone PC

-cameras will be mounted at front door (for the face shot) and above garage pointing down the driveway for the car I.D. and liscence plate.

I have been looking at Axis, Acti, Mobotix, Pelco, but it's just so confusing.

you mentioned grainy, it could also be that you need to add more light, this will be even more so with Megapixel Cameras.

you mentioned grainy, it could also be that you need to add more light, this will be even more so with Megapixel Cameras.

Thats the camera in the day time...actually looks better at night. But it is an outdated system and need new.

How does the Vivotek IP8330 sound? The write up sounds like it will meet my needs, but all the different models are written up the same so it's hard to distinguish one thats better than the other. The cost of this one $389...sound right.

What about a POE for this camera...are some better than others? Thanks guys for your help.

Thats the camera in the day time...actually looks better at night. But it is an outdated system and need new.

How does the Vivotek IP8330 sound? The write up sounds like it will meet my needs, but all the different models are written up the same so it's hard to distinguish one thats better than the other. The cost of this one $389...sound right.

What about a POE for this camera...are some better than others? Thanks guys for your help.

Never used it so cant say from a hands on experience, but going by specs its not much of a jump up from what you have now:

1/4" 4mm = narrow view

F:1.6 = not low light

Basic IR distance

640x480 pixels only

What it has going for it over most cheap Color IR cameras:

True Day Night - has IR cut filter removable during the day

IR Corrected lens so little to no focus shift expected (fixed lens anyway)

Network server built in.

I would expect grainy images at night, though perhaps clearer images in the day.