Tim

Wanted - I need a good DVR, I sure could use some help

I have two Pelco III spectra outdoor camera and one fixed camera hooked to a Axis 241Q server, what I need now is a good DVR so I can record events during the day and night. I know nothing about what is out there, I can spend $600.00 or more

I don't have any specific suggestions for a DVR, but if you're using an analog camera with a video server, you'll probably want to make sure the DVR you go with has "hybrid" capability...

Why not just buy VMS software (like Exacq)? You've already got all the most of the hardware.... just need a PC. This way you'll also be ready if you ever want switch to IP cams (and you won't be stuck with an analog only dvr)

And by the way... some servers like what you have only require 1 license, even though that's a 4 channel server. You'd need to check with Exacq first... but if they do count that as one license, that means for VERY little money you'd have a pretty slick upgrade.

bpzle is right, I didn't clue in that the 241Q is a four-channel unit so I was thinking you still needed analog for the Spectras... however, if the cameras are all going through the Axis, you don't really need a DVR at all... you're already IP-ready, so you're probably better off looking at an NVR (unless you plan to add multiple analog cameras later).

So, I already have a video server, the AXIS 241Q and it is hooked to the router with its own IP and I have it working, I even have the PTZ working from a web page anywhere. But what I need now is Exacq software so I can record events, I have a very good extra computer that will work well for this.

I will give them a call, thanks for the heads up on the license

Soundy, do you think a NVR might be best? I was looking at them after you said something about them, here is one that I was looking at or Qnap Network Video Recorder (4-Channel)

Tim

If you have a video server already then yes NVR would be best.

You also might want to check out the Geovision GV-NVR as its relatively low priced.

Exacq is NVR software you just load onto a computer... and voila!

They make standalone NVRs, similar to DVRs... but you're going to pay more for one since you're essential buying a computer with an embedded OS to run the recording software...

If you already have a spare PC that you can dedicate to the system, that would be a much better way to go.

Gevision? Blah! Never used their "NVRs" but my gut says run, don't walk away from that.

If Exacq doesn't tickle your fancey there are plenty of well known, respectable alternatives... VideoInsight, Avigilon, Genetec, Nuuo, Avermedia, Vigil, the list goes on and on...

I finally got around to starting on this project, with Exacq software, I'm going to download the Exacq demo software and play with it for awhile.

I'm going to use a small desktop computer, it only uses 20 watts of power verus 285 watts for my other standard desktop.

This means running the computer 24 hours a day and it cost only $1.29 per month instead of $18.45 per month per month for the standard computer, this is a big savings going with a smaller computer on your electric bill. My cost is .09 cents per kilowatt.

Has anyone here tried using a mini computer with Exacq software?

Asus EB1012P 1.66GHz Intel Atom PC http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220049

I hope you allow this link, it shows what the mini computer is all about

I'm going to be upgrading RAM to 4gb for sure and maybe upgrade to a 7200 RPM hard drive, instead of the 5400 RPM

Intel Atom D510 Dual Core Processor (1.66GHz)

2GB DDR2 RAM - 250GB Hard Drive (5400 RPM)

Next-Generation NVIDIA ION(GT218-ION) Graphics with 512MB dedicated VRAM

HDMI Output - VGA - eSata - 2 USB 3.0 ports,

4 USB 2.0 ports; 10/100/1000 LAN; 802.11 bgn Wireless

Keyboard and Mouse - Energy Star and EPEAT; Windows 7

Below are the requirements for running the Exacq software from their web site

requirements-for-Exacq.jpg.7aa1b14b1a6ef00601838bd04681a2ba.jpg