Wigwam Jones

Greetings from a newbie...

Hello, everyone!

I should like to start off by saying I am not a security professional (I've been one in the past, but not on the hardware side, I wore the SG uniforms decades ago for various security firms). I am an amateur photographer and I am experimenting with video.

Which brought me here, because I have become interested in CCTV cameras which were intended for security use but which I would like to use for 'studio' work for a project I have in mind. Specifically, I am interested in vintage B&W CCTV cameras which use vidicon sensor tubes instead of CCD digital sensors. I realize that these devices are not considered the best security devices anymore, but for my uses, they may be just what I need.

I see that older B&W CCTV cameras such as the Panasonic WV series go begging on various auction websites; unsold for even a few dollars. That might be just the thing for me; but I'm interested in learning more. Perhaps there are reasons I do not understand why such devices would not be useful to me; but I presume that if they still work, their signals can be routed to my PC's capture card and stored in a digital format. I'd use the camera(s) as a sort of unattended 'studio' camera. I realize they don't have viewfinders like a traditional studio camera does, but I presume if I'm not moving the camera around, it would be something I could focus by experimentation and then leave alone anyway.

Anyway, my intent is to browse your discussion forum and perhaps ask a newbie question or two, hope you all don't mind.

Best,

Wiggy

Old B&W Panasonics would certainly work for that. They're probably CCD sensors though; tube types will be rare indeed.

Welcome!

Old B&W Panasonics would certainly work for that. They're probably CCD sensors though; tube types will be rare indeed.

Welcome!

Thanks! Actually, the ones I have been looking at on the various auction and sales sites seem to be tube types - models WV-1400, 1410, 1414 and so on. Some are 24 v power, some have AC power cords, but all have those big massive screw-on RF connectors for the video out. I've done some checking, and they appear to be B&W single-tube vidicon units. I realize that they have have burn-in or just not work after all these years, so I'm factoring the possible need to replace the tube if a vintage NOS tube of that type can be procured.

I would be glad to hear any advice anyone could offer on the subject!

Any reason CCD wouldn't work, or are you going for a tube-specific effect?

Yes, that's it exactly. There are unique characteristics to a tube-based camera; characteristics that are generally not acceptable for modern use, but they are evocative of an era. I am planning a little personal project to see if it can be done; mainly to satisfy my curiosity. I want to create a video that has the look and feel of a vintage B&W television broadcast. That means image smear, soft focus, and the particular halo effect that tubes seem to bring to the image. I have seen some attempts to recreate those attributes with post-processing, but I'm not particularly impressed with them; it's like the digital filters that people use to put 'grain' into digital photos to make them look like film photos. They're close, I guess, but to my eye, they're not acceptable. I like the grain of film and the general image characteristics of tube video cameras, at least for the project I have in mind. Otherwise, I'm quite pleased with modern digital images and video - just not for this particular use.

I realize that this isn't what this particular forum is geared towards, but I beg your indulgence; from my reading of the forum, it appears that there are security and industry veterans on here who know their way around a vidicon-based CCTV camera; I hope to learn from them.

There are actually a couple of threads here about tube-type CCTV cameras installers have pulled out... shouldn't be hard to find in a search. You could try asking some of those guys if they'd be willing to pass on their paperweights

Maybe drop a PM to SEANHAWG as well, he deals in surplus CCTV equipment.

There are actually a couple of threads here about tube-type CCTV cameras installers have pulled out... shouldn't be hard to find in a search. You could try asking some of those guys if they'd be willing to pass on their paperweights

Maybe drop a PM to SEANHAWG as well, he deals in surplus CCTV equipment.

Thanks!

Yeah we get some tube cameras in every now and then. We dont even test them or sell them, we usually just trash them because I dont have the appropriate connector for it and plus, I cant remember what its called but its the big screw on connector, not the F-type, bigger than that. Plus, like you said, they go for nothing on ebay so its not even worth our time to even auction them off at .99 on eBay. Anyways, if you pay for shipping, you can have them.

I usually get one in a few in with every load, I just looked and I dont have any right now but whenever I get some in, I can email you, just shoot me a PM with you email address.