sexydadee

Recording Period and Backup

When a client specifies 30 days worth of recording, does this mean that you will also need to backup this 30 days recording after 30 days or you just let it overwrite and just forget about the 31st days and later?

Im just wondering because recording 30 days is about 8Terrabytes and if I backup this, it would mean that I would provide another set of 8TB just for backup, and another 8TB for the next month and so on....

That would be something you'd have to ask the client. All of ours, the retention time they specify is just that, no backups... but if you're not sure, ask; do not assume.

When a client specifies 30 days worth of recording, does this mean that you will also need to backup this 30 days recording after 30 days or you just let it overwrite and just forget about the 31st days and later?

Im just wondering because recording 30 days is about 8Terrabytes and if I backup this, it would mean that I would provide another set of 8TB just for backup, and another 8TB for the next month and so on....

like soundy says it depends on your location country. here in the uk it is 30 days and then overwrite. but on every install we would also tell the customer that any incident should be burned off and then stored on disk this will save any problems later.

Usually we just have it rewrite when the memory gets too full. For most customers this is enough, and they usually know within a few weeks if they need to find an incident.

Usually we just have it rewrite when the memory gets too full. For most customers this is enough, and they usually know within a few weeks if they need to find an incident.

Most of our customers want minimum 30 days... we'll typically just make sure they have enough drive space to get AT LEAST that, but more is always good too - it lets you increase resolution and framerate and even lower the compression settings. One customer sees mainly issues with credit cards, and it can take time for reports to get flagged and processed and passed down from the CC company to the store, so they ask for 90 days' retention. It all depends on the individual customer's requirements.