gmandes

Kalatel DVMRE-10CD Hard Drive Failed

Hello,

I have an older Kalatel DVMRE-10CD dvr and the hard drive has failed. SN D300CD7-130099. It has a single Maxtor 81.9 gb drive in it now that's clicking and won't boot. Can a new drive be installed in this unit? If so any help on what to do would be very appreciated.

Thanks, George

Take out the defective drive and install another ATA drive same size or higher and it will work. The system will recognize, format and prepare before it will start recording again. I can not confirm if you have the latest firmware, but you should be able to install at least two 500GB ATA drive to get up to 1TB drive - with latest firmware you can push it to higher capacity.

I also recommend to change the external power supply - it has life expectancy of no more than 5-6 years and tends to fail..

Very correct... " title="Applause" /> except...

Dependent if they have the older or the newer 7.5A power supply... GE realized about this limitation quite of few years ago and start shipping 7.5A power supplies, so if this system came with it, then it will work. If not, go with a single drive up to 500G..

If you want to have multiple hard drives in this system, then you should have 7.5A external power supply - The part number is PSU-7.5AMP and it is available for under $100.00

Dependent if they have the older or the newer 7.5A power supply... GE realized about this limitation quite of few years ago and start shipping 7.5A power supplies, so if this system came with it, then it will work. If not, go with a single drive up to 500G..

If you want to have multiple hard drives in this system, then you should have 7.5A external power supply - The part number is PSU-7.5AMP and it is available for under $100.00

So THATS whats up with the DVMRE powersupplies. I always wondered and GE Tech support never would explain why they had two skus for DVMRE powersupplies.

Hi CCTV_Suppliers,

I think we will go with a single 500GB drive and a new power supply. Do you offer them on your site? Can you give me the links to purchase them? Using these, will I still need a firmware update? When I called GE, they told me they do not support these older models.

Thanks, George

So THATS whats up with the DVMRE powersupplies. I always wondered and GE Tech support never would explain why they had two skus for DVMRE powersupplies.

This issue goes back over 5 years ago... When the system was shipped with single drive, then it was fine to ship lower amperage power supplies... however, they "forgot" to address this issue with higher rated power supplies once they starting shipping higher capacity drives or systems with multiple drives... We actually had a major problems with quite of few systems at that time that were keep shutting down and GE could not offer any simple solution except asking us to ship the entire system... The problem was that it was not just few systems... rather over 100+... so we had to figure out exactly what was wrong.. Since all systems basically were the same internally, we focused on power supplies... since we noticed that some systems never failed as oppose to most... and confirmed at that time that there was nothing wrong with system as long as it came with 7.5A version of power supplies...

Later we asked them to ship us the higher rated power supplies... and then we found out about their mishap... It was a serious pain... but got done.

Since then we purchase very large quantity of these power supplies not only to satisfy our requirements, but also with others that may have not been experiencing this problem from the beginning...

Hi CCTV_Suppliers,

I think we will go with a single 500GB drive and a new power supply. Do you offer them on your site? Can you give me the links to purchase them? Using these, will I still need a firmware update? When I called GE, they told me they do not support these older models.

Thanks, George

George, check your PM... we are not allowed to post any urls here...